Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-08-2006, 14:10   #16
Earthhorse
Registered User
 
Earthhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18,933
Send a message via Yahoo to Earthhorse
Dracula - influential and incredibly boring.

Terry Pratchett - unfunny and can't write to save his life.

Charles Dickens - bloated prose and heavy handed social commentary! Fun!

Lord of the Rings - the template for fantasy literature and a seminal book but it's lack of proper characterisation coupled with the infinite detail makes for a slow and uninspiring read.

Tom Clancy - just write essays about the CIA so we can cut out the crap.

Mentioning the likes of Brown on these threads is an insult to the reader's intelligence. I think it would be better if people focused on literature that's been popular for sometime rather than faddy stuff which is easy to avoid.
Earthhorse is offline  
Advertisement
10-08-2006, 16:46   #17
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,273
I thought Ian McEwan's Atonement was a complete waste of my time. Some serious rubbish toward the end and it was never really enjoyable to read. It's been a long time since I read it, though, so I forget exactly why I found it so bad and I shan't be rereading it!

Quote:
Terry Pratchett - unfunny and can't write to save his life.
Seconded.
Vicente Lemon Moose is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-08-2006, 17:35   #18
BossArky
Moderator
 
BossArky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 8,299
Steer well clear of Paulo Coelho's "The Valkyries", a joke of a book.

It is his autobiographical notes on going to a desert with his wife in an attempt to meet his angel. He meets his angel alright, she is the leader of a group of skanger bikers who drive around the desert. The book culminates with a cermoney where he climbs into a cave and the bikers wave mirrors around.

Absolutely the worst book I've read in a long time. Paradoxicaly I'd actually recommend reading it to see how bad it is. It will make you cringe turning the pages.
BossArky is offline  
10-08-2006, 23:28   #19
theCzar
Registered User
 
theCzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,038
Send a message via MSN to theCzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthhorse
Tom Clancy - just write essays about the CIA so we can cut out the crap.

Mentioning the likes of Brown on these threads is an insult to the reader's intelligence. I think it would be better if people focused on literature that's been popular for sometime rather than faddy stuff which is easy to avoid.
I'd agree there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthhorse
Terry Pratchett - unfunny and can't write to save his life.

Charles Dickens - bloated prose and heavy handed social commentary! Fun!

Lord of the Rings - the template for fantasy literature and a seminal book but it's lack of proper characterisation coupled with the infinite detail makes for a slow and uninspiring read.
Dickens, Tolkein and Pratchett listed as authors to be avoided! You can't say that! I've reported the your post to the thought police who'll be along shortly to start all sorts of muppetry.

I'll simply say that while I disagree with what you say I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
theCzar is offline  
15-08-2006, 16:39   #20
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse - an absolute disgrace that this ever saw the light of day and a real indictment of the media mafia in the UK that Mosse's (who's a literary biwig at the Sunday Times and in the UK in general) book has been so lavishly praised. Bady written, badly plotted and badly edited.

The Good Life by Jay McInerney - a major disappointment. The middle section is particularly badly written and the most clichéd piece of fiction dealing with a relationship that I've ever read.

And, of course, The Da Vinci Code.
Shaybo is offline  
Advertisement
18-08-2006, 10:34   #21
Dades
Would you like to know more?
 
Dades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 24,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthhorse
Mentioning the likes of Brown on these threads is an insult to the reader's intelligence. I think it would be better if people focused on literature that's been popular for sometime rather than faddy stuff which is easy to avoid.
Not sure why you'd get your knickers in a scholarly twist when Dan Brown is mentioned on a thread called "Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet".

Or maybe there should be a different forum called simply "books" for the plebs who think reading is for enjoyment.
Dades is offline  
18-08-2006, 12:32   #22
case_sensitive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.. billed by a godo friend as one of the best books he'd ever read, I've been trying to finish it for months, but every time I pick it up I'm irritated or bored with it.

The story is absolutely preposterous, the characters are fantastical and impossible to relate to or like, and lives of the main protagonists flow in a way that makes your head spin.
Oh, and on a personal note, the architecture references the book is stuffed with leave me very cold. Yuck yuck yuck.
case_sensitive is offline  
18-08-2006, 12:46   #23
chigli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaybo
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse - an absolute disgrace that this ever saw the light of day and a real indictment of the media mafia in the UK that Mosse's (who's a literary biwig at the Sunday Times and in the UK in general) book has been so lavishly praised. Bady written, badly plotted and badly edited.
Just finished that book and would have to agree with you - it is absolute rubbish
chigli is offline  
Thanks from:
18-08-2006, 13:15   #24
Earthhorse
Registered User
 
Earthhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18,933
Send a message via Yahoo to Earthhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atheist
Not sure why you'd get your knickers in a scholarly twist when Dan Brown is mentioned on a thread called "Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet".

Or maybe there should be a different forum called simply "books" for the plebs who think reading is for enjoyment.
I'm not really getting my knickers in a twist. I just think there have been enough warnings about the Da Vinci Code for people to take note. The thread will be better service by sacrificing a few sacred cows.
Earthhorse is offline  
Advertisement
21-08-2006, 14:05   #25
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16
Bridget Jones Diary. What a load of tripe. God it was terrible.

I have to say, I quite like Pratchett, don't see much to admire in Dan Browne, can appreciate Dickens (Tale of Two Cities is brilliant)...

I remember a number of years ago reading Force Majeure by Bruce Wagner and being so angered by it that as soon as I finished it, I ripped it up and put it in the bin.
Bigeamo is offline  
21-08-2006, 15:24   #26
Deer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 453
Although I personally enjoyed the book I think that one to avoid if you are in anyway squemish would definately have to be American Psycho. It can be quite disturbing.
Deer is offline  
21-08-2006, 15:34   #27
Tree
Moderator
 
Tree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,861
ALRIGHT, whoever dissed pratchett stand up while i slap your knuckles
Tree is offline  
21-08-2006, 20:26   #28
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree
ALRIGHT, whoever dissed pratchett stand up while i slap your knuckles
I always expect Pratchett to be funnier because of all the hype. Enjoyable to read though. But I digress.. My most hated author must be Jane Austen.
"Naked Lunch" although criticaly acclaimed was a bit of a non-starter for me.
JaneHudson is offline  
21-08-2006, 21:10   #29
Valmont
Registered User
 
Valmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCzar
I'll simply say that while I disagree with what you say I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire?

Valmont is offline  
21-08-2006, 21:16   #30
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs
 
Tar.Aldarion's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthhorse
Dracula - influential and incredibly boring.

Terry Pratchett - unfunny and can't write to save his life.

Charles Dickens - bloated prose and heavy handed social commentary! Fun!

Lord of the Rings - the template for fantasy literature and a seminal book but it's lack of proper characterisation coupleot bd with the infinite detail makes for a slow and uninspiring read.
You can not be serious, I actually wont believe you.
You've even listed two of my favourites out of the thousands of books I have read...

Quote:
Tom Clancy - just write essays about the CIA so we can cut out the crap.
Agreed.


Quote:

Voltaire?
Hyperchicken from Futurama?
Tar.Aldarion is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet