Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-11-2019, 10:32   #1
Dudley Smith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 28
Clothes dryers

I would be very grateful for advice on what model of machine is a good, energy efficient clothes dryer (lower running costs if possible).

The issue we have is we do not have a normal washing machine-sized space to put it in.

Do these machines have to be vented and have a tube for sticking out a window?

Many thanks for any help recommending what machines are best or any issues we should consider.
Dudley Smith is offline  
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 12:11   #2
garv123
Registered User
 
garv123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Smith View Post
I would be very grateful for advice on what model of machine is a good, energy efficient clothes dryer (lower running costs if possible).

The issue we have is we do not have a normal washing machine-sized space to put it in.

Do these machines have to be vented and have a tube for sticking out a window?

Many thanks for any help recommending what machines are best or any issues we should consider.

What size space have you? most of them are standard size.

And no you dont need a vent anymore. You can get a condensing dryer, it stores the water, just needs emptying when its full.
garv123 is offline  
18-11-2019, 12:46   #3
loyatemu
Registered User
 
loyatemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 10,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by garv123 View Post
What size space have you? most of them are standard size.

And no you dont need a vent anymore. You can get a condensing dryer, it stores the water, just needs emptying when its full.
if you have a drain nearby you don't even need to empty it, this is how washer/dryers generally work.

Heat-pump dryers are available that supposedly use less electricity.
loyatemu is offline  
18-11-2019, 12:49   #4
YFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,082
Hang clothes on a horse for a day or two prior to using drier. Save on energy.
YFlyer is offline  
Thanks from:
18-11-2019, 13:24   #5
LenWoods
Registered User
 
LenWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFlyer View Post
Hang clothes on a horse for a day or two prior to using drier. Save on energy.
Good idea if you have a shed area or somewhere outside of your main living space to do this;
If your drying clothes in a room which you then heat by any means then your passing the bill from the dryer on to your central heating bill because the more moisture within the air the more energy is taken to heat that air also the more moisture within the air the more difficult it becomes to maintain a high temperature in the air.
This is why some people use dehumidifiers
LenWoods is offline  
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 13:56   #6
Calahonda52
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 7,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenWoods View Post
Good idea if you have a shed area or somewhere outside of your main living space to do this;
If your drying clothes in a room which you then heat by any means then your passing the bill from the dryer on to your central heating bill because the more moisture within the air the more energy is taken to heat that air also the more moisture within the air the more difficult it becomes to maintain a high temperature in the air.
This is why some people use dehumidifiers
I don't think the specific heat capacity of air will vary that much at the temperature range we are looking at here: see table below.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 13.55.09.png (184.6 KB, 38 views)
Calahonda52 is offline  
18-11-2019, 15:48   #7
PhoenixParker
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,202
Condenser dryer or heat pump dryer.
The energy rating will tell you how efficient they are.
They can go anywhere with a plug so pretty flexible location wise. There's a drawer that collects water and you empty it after every load.

There are some smaller sized ones available but in general I'd suggest getting the biggest machine by kgs that you can.
PhoenixParker is offline  
18-11-2019, 21:16   #8
twignme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 293
You could look at a stacking system if you have the ceiling height.
twignme is offline  
20-11-2019, 01:30   #9
The Princess Bride
Registered User
 
The Princess Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,087
I have a heat pump one, a Miele. It was expensive but worth it.
I give the clothes an extra spin after the washing cycle before I use the dryer.
No difference in my electricity bill which was a bonus.
The Princess Bride is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet