Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-10-2019, 10:16   #1
Myksyk

POTW 487: 14/9/19 - 20/9/19

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES TO:

Adrian.Sadlier

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Wailin

Morrisseeee

kevc2

Judge

CONGRATULATIONS Adrian. Lovely shot.
WELL DONE HMs

Adrian, if you don't mind you might give us some insight into the process of capturing the winning shot.
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 10:18   #2
Effects

That rain shot is amazing.
(2) thanks from:
25-10-2019, 01:39   #3
tatranska

Bet the raindrops were too afraid to fall on his camera

Amazing photo...the HM's were good too!
Thanks from:
25-10-2019, 02:20   #4
Adrian.Sadlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
Bet the raindrops were too afraid to fall on his camera

...the HM's were good too!
If I had squeezed any further into the side of the street I would have ended us as Rockman! Thank heavens for 1st floor balconies and no wind - the rain was almost vertical.

Some compensation for a Spanish Holiday that coincided with the heaviest rainfall since records began.
Thanks from:
25-10-2019, 02:36   #5
Adrian.Sadlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myksyk View Post
Adrian, if you don't mind you might give us some insight into the process of capturing the winning shot.
I just oticed the request for some background on the shot. If you click through on the original post you will get the full EXIF data on the shot from Flickr.

Nikon D810, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 E VR
Shot taken at f22, 70mm, 1/13s, ISO 100, handheld
Alicante, Spain.

We were almost back at the apartment we rented (Airbnb) but daren't move any further because of the impending rain. It started suddenly and within 30s was torrential. We sheltered where we could, under an overhanging balcony.

The light was changing rapidly as the rainstorm moved in. Very contrasting light in frame - bright sunshine and cloud cover in one shot.

I nearly always shoot in aperture priority mode, so reduced aperture to f22 at the same time as adjusting ISO to 100, to slow shutter speed to get elongated raindrops. VR gave me 4 stops extra stability so 1/13s wasn't a problem handheld.

I got about 3 or 4 really (what I would consider) good shots in the space of two minutes - normally it would take me months! It was totally re-active.

Sometimes always having a camera hanging out of my hand works. Even if it does weigh nearly 5lbs That and a reasonably fast reaction time and a tolerant wife

Had to do a fair bit of LR and PS editing to get a reasonable shot.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion