Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-06-2018, 22:18   #46
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
What does IQ measure? It's a test. Tests attempt to measure something real. Tests are approximations, not reality in themselves.
IQ tests measure your ability to do that particular IQ test.

Grade inflation is a huge problem.
and exam cheating too.

And bumping up grades doesn't help either.
- nice data set.

And the income from foreign students means that Uni's have a huge interest in allowing students to progress to next year.

You can argue about subjective stuff, but when the questions in subjects like maths are getting easier it's very obvious. CBA looking for a link but I can remember seeing articles where questions on today's higher level papers would have been on the lower level ones from yesteryear.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2018, 23:58   #47
Rubecula

Quote:
Not according to James Flynn in Are We Getting Smarter? Rising IQ in the Twenty-First Century. Or Megan Gambio of smithsonian.com
(December 3, 2012):
What does IQ measure? It's a test. Tests attempt to measure something real. Tests are approximations, not reality in themselves.

Measurements have error and limitations. They operationalize conceptual models (derived from theories of intelligence in the case of IQ). Theories are educated guesses that suggest, do not prove. Consequently, we have to move with caution when interpreting IQ results.

Standardized IQ tests like the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, or WISC, have limitations. Do they adequately account for cohort changes from generation to generation? If the WISC changes, how do you compare one cohort IQ WISC standardization with a different standardization? If it doesn't change, to what extent do these IQ measures exhibit the "Flynn Effect?" If the WISC does change from generation to generation, to what extent can changes in IQ be attributed to changes in the IQ test itself? Further, to what extent do such IQ test changes threaten standardization between generations?

(Thanks Rubecula for raising this point. Which is much debated. It may appear on my research methods exam this week. I'm uncertain if there are any right or wrong answers to the IQ debate. Especially from scientific research methods that only "suggest." And theories that are only "educated guesses").

I really hope it helps you my friend (but good luck anyway) I wish I had been either a mathematician or an artist, (science never helped me in the slightest)
Thanks from:
16-06-2018, 00:14   #48
Fathom

Do Americans worship persons with high IQs? Elaine E. Castles (2012) in Inventing Intelligence: How America Came to Worship IQ concludes that they do. Another Holy Grail? Socially constructed myth; not reality?
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2018, 01:38   #49
Rubecula

Quote:
Do Americans worship persons with high IQs? Elaine E. Castles (2012) in Inventing Intelligence: How America Came to Worship IQ concludes that they do. Another Holy Grail? Socially constructed myth; not reality?
never considered it before but yes it sounds very likely.
17-06-2018, 20:42   #50
Black Swan
Category Moderator

Quote:
Socially constructed myth; not reality?
Peter L. Berger and Thomas Luckmann (1966), The Social Construction of Reality?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-06-2018, 23:56   #51
Fathom

I'll challenge! Herbert Marcuse, One-Dimensional Man.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion