Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Light - front & back

Options
  • 11-10-2019 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭

I've read a few of the threads from a few years back on lights but was wondering if there's anything newer out there. I want a front and rear light so something like a chest strap would be ideal. It is to be used to be seen, not to see. I'll look at a head lamp if I need to see where I'm going. USB Charging would be the best option too.

Any advice/guidance would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

py wrote: »
    I've read a few of the threads from a few years back on lights but was wondering if there's anything newer out there. I want a front and rear light so something like a chest strap would be ideal. It is to be used to be seen, not to see. I'll look at a head lamp if I need to see where I'm going. USB Charging would be the best option too.

Any advice/guidance would be great.

Something like this from Decathlon might work for you. I haven't got it but I'm thinking of getting it as there's no street lights or footpaths where i run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

ariana` wrote: »
    Something like this from Decathlon might work for you. I haven't got it but I'm thinking of getting it as there's no street lights or footpaths where i run.

Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered it this week so will report back when I get a chance to test it out.

Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered it this week so will report back when I get a chance to test it out.

Took it out for a short run this morning and used the lower beam for most of it. Worked very well, just turned it on and forgot about it. No chaffing or distractions from the harness. The lower beam (125 lumens) works well in an urban setting, even half of that would be perfect for being seen. There were a few sections of my run which had no lighting and the lower beam lit up the path/road, the higher beam (250 lumens) worked really well for these unlit areas.

Setting up the straps to the required length is a bit fiddly but you'll only need to do this the first time you get it.

There's different angles in which you can aim the front light so if you're using it to see you can point it towards the ground or if you're using it to be seen you can have it on a more horizontal level.

Turning it on/off is simple enough. Press button once for 125 lumens, press again for 250 lumens and press for a final time to turn it off.

Will report back when I get to take it out on a longer run (1+ hours) and also for when I'm out in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Hi

Have you gotten much use out of your light since you bought it. Looking for something similar myself.

Thanks

Hi

Have you gotten much use out of your light since you bought it. Looking for something similar myself.

Thanks

Used it yesterday for an hour in the early morning. Was very helpful for noticing wet drain covers that were partially covered with wet leaves. Still on the first charge. Mostly using the 125 lumens setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Used it yesterday for an hour in the early morning. Was very helpful for noticing wet drain covers that were partially covered with wet leaves. Still on the first charge. Mostly using the 125 lumens setting.

Sounds good, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Took it out for a short run this morning and used the lower beam for most of it. Worked very well, just turned it on and forgot about it. No chaffing or distractions from the harness. The lower beam (125 lumens) works well in an urban setting, even half of that would be perfect for being seen. There were a few sections of my run which had no lighting and the lower beam lit up the path/road, the higher beam (250 lumens) worked really well for these unlit areas.

Setting up the straps to the required length is a bit fiddly but you'll only need to do this the first time you get it.

There's different angles in which you can aim the front light so if you're using it to see you can point it towards the ground or if you're using it to be seen you can have it on a more horizontal level.

Turning it on/off is simple enough. Press button once for 125 lumens, press again for 250 lumens and press for a final time to turn it off.

Will report back when I get to take it out on a longer run (1+ hours) and also for when I'm out in the rain.

Hey - thanks for reporting back on it!

Is the rear light removable? I run with a bag so only really want the front light most of the time.

Hey - thanks for reporting back on it!

Is the rear light removable? I run with a bag so only really want the front light most of the time.

Rear light is where the battery is so you still need to have it. You get a smaller strap (pictured) which you can use with a backpack which is something I'm going to be looking in to soon. Where you place the rear light using it this way I'm not sure but the cable would definitely extend over a backpack if you wanted to use the rear light with it too.

495627.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Rear light is where the battery is so you still need to have it. You get a smaller strap (pictured) which you can use with a backpack which is something I'm going to be looking in to soon. Where you place the rear light using it this way I'm not sure but the cable would definitely extend over a backpack if you wanted to use the rear light with it too.

495627.jpg

Ah brilliant, thanks for the info. Ordering it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I bought the Decathlon front & back light and find it excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Picked up one of them in Decathlon in Germany last week, didn't get a chance to try it yet but fairly certain it will make my life easier during a night half marathon in Ballyhoura mid Jan.

Advertisement