Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propping up steel A frame during build

Options
  • 28-05-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I am building a new slatted tank beside an existing shed. Both buildings will be perpendicular to each other once built. I need to remove existing end poles supporting a steel A frame in order to build the slatted tank. How do I support the roof while the supporting poles are removed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

dungfly wrote: »
    I am building a new slatted tank beside an existing shed. Both buildings will be perpendicular to each other once built. I need to remove existing end poles supporting a steel A frame in order to build the slatted tank. How do I support the roof while the supporting poles are removed?

Good question, might be worth asking an engineer to take a look at it . Maybe pour 2 piles under it before digging out the rest of the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bullocks wrote: »
    Good question, might be worth asking an engineer to take a look at it . Maybe pour 2 piles under it before digging out the rest of the tank

Good idea on the engineer .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

They'd love this question over on "construction and planning". You'd be banned for life😀
    Plus one on the engineer or a com competent builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Can you move the tank out a few feet from the uprights

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

dzer2 wrote: »
    Can you move the tank out a few feet from the uprights

Nope. Unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

If you can't get in under it to prop it up, then you will just have to take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Nope. Unfortunately.

Ok you will need to make a frame to bolt between the front pillar and the next one behind it roughly 400mm high bolt it into place and then put a support pillar up to this as far back as you need to allow the foundation to be taken out under the front pillar. Bit of work and cost involved it might be as cheap to take down a span of the existing shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

10 Heston bales
    My preference would be take down and put back up. I'd say cheapest and quickest option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DACC

Would you have enough room to scaffold up too existing shed roof to take the roof weight and remove pillars,obviously leaving enough room for tank work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Galvanise or Asbestos/Big 6 / Fibre cement sheeting? If its Big 6/ there is a lot of weight involved, and its not going to like any sagging or changes in angle. Would be like a rock fall coming down on you.

You would be best to get rsj's at least as heavy as currently used, go back 10 foot and measure length needed from the truss to the ground. Get the correct angle cut on the top of the new pillar and a plate welded on. Get a plate on the foot of the new rsj as well with a couple of holes drilled in it. Jam the new rsj pillar into place under each truss, weld it at the top and bolt to the floor slab at the bottom.
    Try not to kill yourself

If its a portal frame, you're going to have to prop in the centre as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Be careful a man that had been doing that sort of work round here was killed when the ground collapsed dropping the shed on him.
    I had a close one as well when shuttering a tank, shutters were ready to be filled when the bank slipped in bouncing the shutters off the floor where we had been working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

too many unanswered questions to give a correct answer, you need someone suitably qualified to look at it

1. You might be able to do in phases,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Triangulate it back down to existing uprights and brace back. Treat it as a very big cantilevered roof. Any good lad on a welder and an experienced engineer will sort it handy enough.

Advertisement