Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

starter motors

• 27-05-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I have an old case 1494. The starter is gone was just goin to buy a new one. Its the original starter from new 1984. What's the best option?
    1. Buy new one?
    2. Get the old one reconditioned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

Get the old one looked at, then make the decision on economics of which is cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Old one should be capable of a recon. However, on a few occasions I've seen comments of "high speed" starters to
    Improve starting of some older tractors. Might be worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

I think the cost between either option is very small, go with new one.
    anyway there not a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

If your going new get good one tho as theres a heap of ****e ones out there that will just piss you off after a short amount of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Would be very slow to get anything recoditioned nowads in the line of starters or alternators especially very old as unless he completely recoditions it it will give trouble again in a few years time. Get a hi-speed starter a good one will set you back about 180 euro. Cannot remember the brand I got but it starts with the letter I.Most reputable tractor parts dealers will have a good model in stock. For all some lads guff nearly everything in this line is now made in China. it just a matter of buying ones that the manufacturer has quality control in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

I was going to just buy a new one until an old neighbour told me the new ones are pure muck and I should get it reconditioned.
    I might just buy a good one.
    Any recommendations of where in mayo is best to deal with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

jimini0 wrote: »
    I was going to just buy a new one until an old neighbour told me the new ones are pure muck and I should get it reconditioned.
    I might just buy a good one.
    Any recommendations of where in mayo is best to deal with?

I agree with your neighbour

,are there any good auto electrical in your area ?

what symptoms is the your own giving ,

a full over haul with new solenoid new bendix new bushes shouldn't cost more than €100 ,

google "auto electrical repairs mayo" should give you a list in your area

Will cost 100 easy to repair may be even double that.
    You have the two bushings.
    4 brushes the brush holder.
    The bendix and the solinied.
    Having said all that you may get away with just one component

I kind of inherited the tractor. Long story short. I borrowed the tractor to bring in bales . It was not starting it had to be jumped off the starter. When I was finished with it I parked it in the yard so my cousin could pick it up the next day. But its been parked there since.
    So I know the starter is dodgy.
    I'm still torn between a new one or get other one reconditioned.
    Might just have to toss a coin.

I kind of inherited the tractor. Long story short. I borrowed the tractor to bring in bales . It was not starting it had to be jumped off the starter. When I was finished with it I parked it in the yard so my cousin could pick it up the next day. But its been parked there since.

With any old tractor I be putting a hi-speed starter in it. It makes them so easy to start easy on battery as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Are you certain it's the starter that's gone. I thought the starter was gone on my old 590 last week, turned out it was the key switch.
    One new key switch later it's starting better than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

If you are jumping it off the starter I'm not sure if the starter is bad , how is the battery or alternator/leads ? Maybe ask a local mechanic to have a look before you go buying anything .
    Hi speed starter is a great job for something thats a bit slow to start alright

Bullocks wrote: »
    If you are jumping it off the starter I'm not sure if the starter is bad , how is the battery or alternator/leads ? Maybe ask a local mechanic to have a look before you go buying anything .
    Hi speed starter is a great job for something thats a bit slow to start alright
    I charged the battery last week. The wiring on it looks bad alright. I'll get a local mechanic to have a look today. He mostly deals with cars but the odd tractor too. I'm sure he will have an idea what's up or can point me in the right direction

If the battery leads are bad she won't start.
    For the price of a set of leads I'd trow them on it two for peace of mind

if that's the case it's you key switch or the solenoid or perhaps just a loose connection, any mechanic should be able to trace it in a few moments

FFS get it sorted one way or the the other B4 some body jumps it in gear and gets killed,

sad case here locally 2 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

orm0nd wrote: »
    if that's the case it's you key switch or the solenoid or perhaps just a loose connection, any mechanic should be able to trace it in a few moments

FFS get it sorted one way or the the other B4 some body jumps it in gear and gets killed,

That's true , happened near us last year aswell

orm0nd wrote: »

I'm well aware of the dangers of jumping it. I witnessed such an accident as a kid. Luckly it was only a broken foot. That's why it wont be touched again till its starting on the key.

Well the starter is off. My man tested the starter with leads in the shed. Its not turning over properly. Its "whizzing" hw said. So I'm bringing I to a auto electrics guy tomorrow. The tractor is getting a new ignition and all new wires to starter from both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Well the starter is off. My man tested the starter with leads in the shed. Its not turning over properly. Its "whizzing" hw said. So I'm bringing I to a auto electrics guy tomorrow. The tractor is getting a new ignition and all new wires to starter from both sides.

That's the job. It's as handy to have these things working as they should

that's the way to go ,, good work !

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your help. The people of boards are a mighty help altogether. I just found the make of the starter when I cleaned it. Its a LUCAS. my man said they are a good make. And well worth fixing

Thanks everyone for your help. The people of boards are a mighty help altogether. I just found the make of the starter when I cleaned it. Its a LUCAS. my man said they are a good make. And well worth fixing

Been there done that and IMO it a waste of time. I reconditioned two starters both only lasted 3-4 years. These were by different (top class) auto electricians that do this type of work. In most cases for an easy fix it is 50 euro+ and another part will go fairly fast. If it needs a big overhaul you will be over 100 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Probably just a sticky Bendix. The cog wheel on the end of the starter motor is sticking and not shooting outwards to engage with the flywheel. Is it clatty dirty, with old oil and clutch dust?
    Try washing it with petrol or paraffin. Dry well and put a little grease on the pinion.Worth a try, as it's a free fix. Google "Bendix" cleaning or try youtube.

Been there done that and IMO it a waste of time. I reconditioned two starters both only lasted 3-4 years. These were by different (top class) auto electricians that do this type of work. In most cases for an easy fix it is 50 euro+ and another part will go fairly fast. If it needs a big overhaul you will be over 100 euro.

I have seen some new ones to fail at 2 years, not water proof

want to very careful with the starter you fit to old case like op's some of the spurious models now available are made to metric spec.

i know of 1 where the bendix cog wasn't engaging the flyw. correctly and fuc$ed the ring gear.

Advertisement