Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Size of your dairy herd

• 28-05-2015 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to how many of you have increased your herd this year and by how much?
    Every dairy farmer I have spoken to has increased number.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Feckthis wrote: »
    Just curious as to how many of you have increased your herd this year and by how much?
    Every dairy farmer I have spoken to has increased number.

Increased by 24%,will go another 20/25% over next 2 years.thatl take me to 3.5 Sr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Tiny increase here. We were at full production a few yrs ago as we had spent a lot on quota.

We are on target to grow 2 tonne more grass this year. I feel that this will allow us to add another 10% in cow numbers with most silage being brought in.
    No major capx necessary aside a bit of labour saving. We will however need to increase the calf housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Increased by 24%,will go another 20/25% over next 2 years.thatl take me to 3.5 Sr.

Only up this year by 10%, Current aim is 50% more which when I offload the heifers of the milking block, will stock me at 3 cows/ha, but critically about 130 which is about the limit of a single labour unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Increased by 10% this yr, have increased by around 10/15% every yr for nearly the last ten yrs. This was done by acquiring quota through most means possible(parent partnership, buying from relations, buying restructuring quota, mpp partnership, temp leasing etc). Never paid a super levy fine, not even this yr. however it's all worth zilch now, and I'm left buying shares!

Increased by 10% this yr, have increased by around 10/15% every yr for nearly the last ten yrs. This was done by acquiring quota through most means possible(parent partnership, buying from relations, buying restructuring quota, mpp partnership, temp leasing etc). Never paid a super levy fine, not even this yr. however it's all worth zilch now, and I'm left buying shares!

Sounds familiar, often told how lucky we were ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Similar here, have gone up 10 cows ayear with the last six and intend to continue the same way but I must admit the volume of work is starting to show so may draw a line somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Increased herd size by 12% this year to bring my avg. Sr to 3.5. The weather over past month has really put me and cows under savage pressure. Will be going back to original 3.25 level for next year. Lesson learnt, no interest in paying stupid money for renting grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭visatorro

increased 60% over last four years. will be cutting back due to labour issues and my own management not being what they should be because of a number of other things going on. have highly stocked milking block here. it's difficult unless you have a perfect grass year like last year. with my situation more doesn't mean more money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Up 33% this year. Plan to do another 28% for next year. That will bring me to a SR of 3.3 and I'm stopping at that. I have very little CapEx to do and the additional 28% is being done to cover getting a full time milker next year.
    Have to have a life aswell.

Tiny increase here. We were at full production a few yrs ago as we had spent a lot on quota.

We are on target to grow 2 tonne more grass this year. I feel that this will allow us to add another 10% in cow numbers with most silage being brought in.
    No major capx necessary aside a bit of labour saving. We will however need to increase the calf housing.
    Talking to my vet a while back and he says that this is where most lads are falling down ,load in extra cows and cubicles but nothing done with calving pens or calf sheds.load of lads that never had calf rearing issues had them this spring due to packing too many calves into small poorly ventilated sheds

• Advertisement

Talking to my vet a while back and he says that this is where most lads are falling down ,load in extra cows and cubicles but nothing done with calving pens or calf sheds.load of lads that never had calf rearing issues had them this spring due to packing too many calves into small poorly ventilated sheds

Totally agree, never a truer word. We've kept Pre 28 day mortality below 3% but there's pressure building. The way we manage is to keep bull calves moved off farm weekly for March.

We've got the housing but its not calf housing iykwim. All penned and then into grps of 35 in bigger sheds.

Reason we're slow to purpose build is I haven't come across a successful calf house yet. I think the person rearing has an awful lot to do with calf health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

When u lads say s.r of 3.5 do you mean on the grazing block or whole farm.

st1979 wrote: »

Grazing for most I'd say. I'm surprised at the amount of yas close to your limit already, the harvest 2020 50% increase won't be coming from here unless we all go down the high input/output road ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

will be about 15% up on last yrs numbers. Next yr is a big jump. About 30% on this yrs figures.
    All ill be basicly doing is cows and calves. Have a lad in mind to approach about doing some relief milking for me next spring.
    Dad does majority of feeding during winter. That helps alot
    could go another 20% agsin but ill need somewhere to grow silage or contract rear heifers. Contract rear heifers would be s good option I think but how many are keen to tske on winter and soring heifers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Increased 9% here, up to 78, will not go much more than that. The harsh winters and harsh spring and really harsh summer so far are inhibiting our abiltiy to grow grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Gone up 30% and another 10% nxt year, going to increase until this mountain cant take no more bovines! SR 1.8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Timmaay wrote: »
    Grazing for most I'd say. I'm surprised at the amount of yas close to your limit already, the harvest 2020 50% increase won't be coming from here unless we all go down the high input/output road ha.

Harvest 2020 is a load of codolodgy.

Ultimately Timmay,cows cN only walk so far and access to milking block land will shove us all that way ,wether we like it or not

will be about 15% up on last yrs numbers. Next yr is a big jump. About 30% on this yrs figures.
    All ill be basicly doing is cows and calves. Have a lad in mind to approach about doing some relief milking for me next spring.
    could go another 20% agsin but ill need somewhere to grow silage or contract rear heifers. Contract rear heifers would be s good option I think but how many are keen to tske on winter and soring heifers

Big jumps there gg but will u have slurry storage and extra cubicles/calf creating facilities in place.no point loading on nos to be a busy fool,no offence!!

Big jumps there gg but will u have slurry storage and extra cubicles/calf creating facilities in place.no point loading on nos to be a busy fool,no offence!!

Get the cows on GG the rest will follow, Rome wasn't built in a day. Get that tank full

• Advertisement

st1979 wrote: »

Whole farm for us. At 3.2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Get the cows on GG the rest will follow, Rome wasn't built in a day. Get that tank full
    and keep refilling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

hope to get back to my 2009 numbers next year, not buying in stock ever again between johnes and ragworth posioning it was a total feck up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Lads for the most part aren't breeding the cows to go the high output road anyways, with lads chasing high ebi their neglecting kilos of milk you really need a milk sub index of plus 200kg across the herd to be doing 7,000 litres plus

Agree to a point but how about nitrates,and extra cows need extra storage and beeding and feeding ditto calves as well as more parlour units.not having a go but from his posts these are all things that we are told he is short ,slower steadier growth adding as u go is what I'd do unless you want to really bite the bullet and borrow heavy and build from start loading nos at same time

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Lads for the most part aren't breeding the cows to go the high output road anyways, with lads chasing high ebi their neglecting kilos of milk you really need a milk sub index of plus 200kg across the herd to be doing 7,000 litres plus

Disagree jay,chasing ebi here,not neglecting milk and delivered 7300 milk kg last year.milk sub index for herd is+144 kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Exporting slurry to satisfy nitrates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Up 30% this year . Slower progress next few years. Just barely requiring derogation last year so really talking stocking rates in that context see whole farm at 2.8 to help smooth bumps

I was waiting for this :D
    have a massive hay shed here that's always half empty by feb so we'll get pens made up for it that will hold alot of cakves. Man buying calves has said he'll take bulls every week which will help alot
    tbh only for the winter milkers I don't need cubicles. Dry cows are great on the straw. Bit of work alright but if we get lagoon or some form of storage in this yr and parlour in ill be doing vert well. And sure of I don't get parlour in I wouldn't be the first lad to milk 100 cows through a 6 unit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

This year went to 800 peak milked from 690 last season. Stocked at 3.2 to the ha at peak this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Would have no problem as long as I was getting paid a proper rate for doing it. However would not be interested in AI'ing or calves sub 12 weeks
    Exporting slurry to satisfy nitrates?

Department is supposed to be starting to look at this. There was some slurry moving on paper only. Cost of moving can be expensive if going a distance unless you are near tillage land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lot of guys maxedout around here, see more z grazers on the road here! Im building steady, have 160 cubicles, 12k litre tank, lots of slurry storage, calving facilites. Need 20unit parlour, maybe more calf pens also. Wont be splashing out till nxt year as bought land, superlevy, sheds and done up house, cashflow is tight!! Im aiming for 160 cows in 2-3 years, labour during calving and contracting out slurry, fencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

There was some slurry moving on paper only.

Never!!!

I'm only properly appreciating this fully now myself, in GGs and my case our dad's are still very active on the farm, effectively the labour element has been doubled. In comparison to alot of the rest of you's I'll be expanding rapidly also, and 2bh we are shy on slurry storage and shed space also, however plenty of opportunities exist, the 60% young farmer grant, rent sheds, out winter on kale etc, I don't mind a botch fix here on a temporary scale like a year or so using likes of kale if it leaves me better off down the line. Very worst case scenario you can always destock.

Woo! That's high for whole farm, u need every nook and cranny pushing out grass at that rate. Are u making all ur own winter feed from this ground as well?

• Advertisement

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    This year went to 800 peak milked from 690 last season. Stocked at 3.2 to the ha at peak this year

Where are u farming again?

Woo! That's high for whole farm, u need every nook and cranny pushing out grass at that rate. Are u making all ur own winter feed from this ground as well?

Stocked at 2.9 overall farm here, but like fu*k am I making all the winter feed here ha, buying in 15acres of grass silage and 8 maize ha. If I could hit 3.2 buying in the same I'd be happy, will take more reseeding and try push up afew index 2 fields to 3.

Ultimately Timmay,cows cN only walk so far and access to milking block land will shove us all that way ,wether we like it or not

If all farmers get "shoved" down the hi input/output system, the a lot of farmers will go broke or at least just be busy fools, u really have to be at the top of ur game to make money out of that system.

Ha I was been sarcastic when I said about the high input/output, grass grass grass all the way here, parlour fty about as high input as it needs to go for most farmers.

Would have no problem as long as I was getting paid a proper rate for doing it. However would not be interested in AI'ing or calves sub 12 weeks

Department is supposed to be starting to look at this. There was some slurry moving on paper only. Cost of moving can be expensive if going a distance unless you are near tillage land.

No dice on the no ai. Calves grand ill look after them to 12 weeks grand.
    AI is not as big a job as you think. My heifers are 5 miles away I go over at 9 am spend 10/15 min watching them and go over before milking around 4 ish. Have kamars on them so easy enough to spot them. And AI tech comes around 7 to AI if I've any bulling.
    If a lad did 3 wks Ai I'd be happy and then let in a bull

• Advertisement

Up 50% this year. Expecting to go another thirty percent next year. Keep growing organically after that. No limit in mind. Plan in place to increase by around 2.5 times current numbers. Very dependent on access to land for forage and slurry. No plans to rent grass ground unless the highly unlikely scenario that ut comes available over the ditch.

Very much of the frazz frame of mind. Load on the cows they'll have to pay for it, whatever it is.

Ha I was been sarcastic when I said about the high input/output, grass grass grass all the way here, parlour fty about as high input as it needs to go for most farmers.
    Agree but grass can ultimately only take u so far,,land and nitrates are the new quotas

Just a note on the 130 cows per man. One man running 130 cows is not the same as three men on 350-400. The second scenario is very doable on a sustained basis. The first is close to impossible to sustain, not impossible to do for a short period but sustaining it year in year out I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Increasing 33% next year 15-20% the year after, need more land to go any further than that.

Just a note on the 130 cows per man. One man running 130 cows is not the same as three men on 350-400. The second scenario is very doable on a sustained basis. The first is close to impossible to sustain, not impossible to do for a short period but sustaining it year in year out I don't think so.
    I definitely won't be doing it on my own. Dad and mam will still be very active around for a good few yrs to come will hopefully have a relief milker too to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Milking 51 at the moment. Will probably float around the 50 55 mark.

Started with 24 cows in 2003 and built cubicles milking palour and calf houseing. Put in roads resseeding and a lot of drainage.

Happy enough now and not interested in being a busy fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Numbers up 15% here but output will be up over 30%. Stocked at 3.7 on the milking block and would have gone over 4 if the prediction for milk price was better. I agree with Mahony, good facilities with a one man show and everything with automatic in the title should be looked at carefully. Calf feeder, scrapers, cloister removers, drafting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

+1, at 126 here on my own at the minute and it's a struggle to be honest. Currently stocked at 2.3/ha over all farm including out farm and land adjacent bought at start of year. will be dropping land leased ab hour away used for heifers and quota next year and hope to get parlour and roadway sorted this year and will be looking at labour options then. Will be heading for a stocking rate of 3 once up to speed with cows and see how we are then to be culled removed from herd prior to bull going in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

planned expansion for the next 3 yrs is a 75% increase in cow nos and a 100% increase in milk output, for the last few years cows yield has been curtailed by quota, but allowed us to increase nos slightly quicker.
    need to put in more facilities to cope, but kale and a few prayers will get us by till then, all investments todate has been in cows land and grass, but we have reached a point where we have to spend a bit on concrete and steel, but we will be at full output with in a year of spending said

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

[mod]Splitting the original off to keep discussion going on both topics.[/mod]

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement