Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter cups on silage field

Options
  • 28-05-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Have noticed I'm growing a fine crop of butter cups in my silage meadow

What's the story it's the first year I've seen them in it

Got line last year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

case5130 wrote: »
    Have noticed I'm growing a fine crop of butter cups in my silage meadow

What's the story it's the first year I've seen them in it

Got line last year

Always told that if u have them and dandelions it's a sign of low ph.one of my silage fields had them and ground lime been spread on it in am to rectify,hopefully.got 2 tonne 3 years ago but has one cut and light cut for bales taken every year

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭case5130

Ya same but got line last year wonder do I need more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

They are usually a sign of low ph . However even if you correct the ph it can be hard to get rid of them unless you spray. I had an issue with them I spread granlime and I sprayed them and at present no sign of them coming back. Also right fertility helps. Dandloins as far as I know have nothing to do with PH usually an issue with poaching and as there seeds say in the ground for a good few years.

Silage be fit to cut in two weeks so bit late to spray will they be any harm in bales

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

case5130 wrote: »
    Silage be fit to cut in two weeks so bit late to spray will they be any harm in bales

Not really they just are poorer digestibility than grass. Bale it all up and spray regrowths. I think MCPA will kill.

• Advertisement

No rag worth thank god haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

MCPA does a good job on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

i have the cuckoo flower (or so a wise man told me) in my silage fields and they bone dry, never seen them before in it

fcuking GLAS would pay me to have them planted:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

i have the cuckoo flower (or so a wise man told me)

I had to google them. Yeah loads of them here too this year. I have to say I like them. Buttercups, dandelions...ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Muckit wrote: »
    I had to google them. Yeah loads of them here too this year. I have to say I like them. Buttercups, dandelions...ugh!

supposed to be bad luck to bring them into the house, something to do with fairies, also ancient folklore would have you know that they appear when a new child is born within the landholding

• Advertisement

Have few them growing in a wet field and the brothers misses is due soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

supposed to be bad luck to bring them into the house, something to do with fairies, also ancient folklore would have you know that they appear when a new child is born within the landholding

After last weeks yes vote I don't think the fairies will have a problem anymore!

Advertisement