Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes some interesting/boring?

2»

Comments

Purposely have not read other posts:
    For me
    Interesting Person:
    Talks about doing adult colouring books :) (where did I get that notion from)Talks about lifehacking.
    Outdoors, Something thats not sport related.Talks about their garden activity.

Boring person.
    They got these tickets from Ticketmaster for the gig yeah!!!
    Theyve pre ordered the iPhone 11. Always talking about what their friend posted on Facebook. Their kid scored a goal in the camogie. Theyve a cool deal from Netflix. They're often loud and snarky on public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A person with interests is what makes someone interesting. Someone who has tried to seek out information pertaining to something that they find intriguing will always be a more "interesting" character than someone who doesn't care about anything enough to find out more about it.

Of course, most people are "into" something. But that doesn't necessarily translate into an "interest", as it were. Someone who can waffle all night long about bleedin 'Love Island' doesn't have an "interest", like someone who's researched the British monarchy since 878A.D. They're just into something on a temporary basis that will be eliminated when the next mind numbing piece of shit TV show arrives.

Personally, I'd rather listen to someone bang on for a couple of hours about the history of the Rubik's Cube, than some vacuous twat bleat on about some air headed "reality" crap they saw on tele.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Tony EH wrote: »
    A person with interests is what makes someone interesting. Someone who has tried to seek out information pertaining to something that they find intriguing will always be a more "interesting" character than someone who doesn't care about anything enough to find out more about it.

Of course, most people are "into" something. But that doesn't necessarily translate into an "interest", as it were. Someone who can waffle all night long about bleedin 'Love Island' doesn't have an "interest", like someone who's researched the British monarchy since 878A.D. They're just into something on a temporary basis that will be eliminated when the next mind numbing piece of shit TV show arrives.

Personally, I'd rather listen to someone bang on for a couple of hours about the history of the Rubik's Cube, than some vacuous twat bleat on about some air headed "reality" crap they saw on tele.

The guy in peep show is like you describe and would be considered conventionally boring by most of the population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The guy in peep show is like you describe and would be considered conventionally boring by most of the population

I'd rather spend an evening with Mark than with Jezza. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

TBF, Mark is a bad example because he always makes a link between everyday scenarios and the historical knowledge he has. But I've known some bland people, one guy in particular, he was from bum**** nowhere in the USA and obviously was surrounded by the farmers and redneck types but his way of breaking away from that life was to be overly informed in the most tedious matter of fact way. He knew information but was so dull listening to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

People who sneer at celebrity culture and stuff like Love Island are particularly boring. I'd hesitate to refer to their tiresome shtick as 'intellectual snobbery', as that implies that their warped superiority complex stems from something other than the insecure desire to somehow come across as deep and intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Irish language bores. I’m a native Irish speaker myself, but there’s nothing more tedious than some jackeen with an inferiority complex and a degree in Irish from UCD spouting on about how to save the language. They haven’t a clue. Usually found wearing cord trousers and sporting a beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I find people who are interested in other people to be interesting.

It's not just that they listen but they think about the conversation and give more meaningful input or explore it in a way that I find makes it more enjoyable.
    Also, they'll typically have done more or taken advantage of opportunities more to gain experiences which gives them more stories to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

For me, its rarely about what they do or are interested in - its the person themselves that's either boring or interesting or whatever.
    I like music, just because someone else likes music doesn't necessarily mean I'd want to engage with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I find people who are interested in other people to be interesting.

I was just thinking something along these lines. I like people who are interested in others (not in a what did you have for dinner kind of way) but interested in learning about others and about different ways of life and so forth. I see it in my nieces and nephews who love hearing about their grandparents way of life, as kids, for example, which is so different from their own.

I find people who are self-centred boring. I know someone who witters on endlessly about herself, her life, her friends, her 'cast of characters' so to speak, and expects everyone else to be interested while not giving a sh1t about other people's lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,820 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think somebody can be kind of boring when there lief revolves around one thing and it's all they do/talk about.
    It could be a job, sport,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Ironically, I always suspect that people that are at pains to point out that people are not interesting because of stuff like talking about kids or their cultural bent are probably just as fixated on their own riffs

Id be more inclined to find people interesting based on their mindset, emotions and personality not what their interests are. People have different priorities and interests after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Boring people keep you at arm's length and don't let you close enough to discover anything interesting to talk about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Candie wrote: »
    It's just a tv show. It's not a diagnosis.

This.

I hate it myself but I don't automatically think anybody that watches it is a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would say sufficiently boring ppl are those who are just clones of their family and ppl in their community.

• Advertisement
Advertisement