Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midwifery info please

Options
  • 25-07-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi there I am interested in studying midwifery in dublin. I would be hoping to take the aptitude test next year (mature student).I don't know where to start I am finding it hard to find solid info anywhere so if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

how hard is the aptitude test?
    What is the timetable like? is it 9-5 every day?
    is the workload manageable if you have young children?
    Is there many jobs available in Dublin? how much do midwives earn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Hi there. I took the aptitude test last year and I am now in general nursing in Galway. I will answer your questions as best as I can:

how hard is the aptitude test?
    It isn't that hard if you practise. You can get examples online and there is also a prep day you can do near the time by careerservices which I highly recommend.

What is the timetable like? is it 9-5 every day? In galway it mostly is 9-5 but finish at lunch on Friday.

is the workload manageable if you have young children? I wont lie the workload can be heavy but it is manageable, assignments are time consuming but its just about getting a balance.

Is there many jobs available in Dublin? how much do midwives earn? You can get salary info on the HSE website. As regards jobs its too hard to tell because a lot can change between now and four years.

Hope I helped

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wanderer123

Hi, I'm a forth year midwifery student in Trinity who got in through mature entry and would be happy to give you advice if you still need it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All,

Can you advise whether it is realistic to consider Nursing, as a mother of two young children? if you have a supportive partner and you could give up work to focus on your studies, is it feasible?

Also, can you give me an idea of how many years it would take if you were to study full time, and (briefly) what is involved for each year of study?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Meursault wrote: »
    Hi All,

Can you advise whether it is realistic to consider Nursing, as a mother of two young children? if you have a supportive partner and you could give up work to focus on your studies, is it feasible?

Also, can you give me an idea of how many years it would take if you were to study full time, and (briefly) what is involved for each year of study?

Thanks

Hi meursalt
    There is a lady in my course who had three kids one in college one doing junior very and one in primary school, she also works 12 hour night shifts at weekends and is studying nursing full time so yes it is definitely feasible. If you can give up work your studies will benefit but it is possible to work part time too. All courses are 4 years with a mix of placement and theory. Usually 2-4 exams at Xmas and summer the rest are assignments but a really good course to do. If you have any questions give me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Meursault

ok thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement