Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New F-16 variant introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    so a new F-16 was unveiled to the public during the Sinapore Airshow called the F-16V. Improvements include an AESA radar, a new mission computer and others. http://www.dailytech.com/Lockheed+Martin+Unveils+New+F16V+to+Complement+F35+F22/article24025.htm

looks pretty nice.

From the original article:

"Lockheed Martin has an order from Iraq that is large enough to keep F-16 production line open until the end of 2015;"

That'll be the replacement fighter for the Iranian F-4s and F-14s, then *eyeroll*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Maoltuile wrote: »
    From the original article:

"Lockheed Martin has an order from Iraq that is large enough to keep F-16 production line open until the end of 2015;"

That'll be the replacement fighter for the Iranian F-4s and F-14s, then *eyeroll*

lol. Iran will probably try to get more MiGs and Sukhoi's off Russia instead, because I doubt they'll get their hands on F-16's anytime soon :D they've had the F-14's since 74, I'm surprised they're still serviceable,

lol. Iran will probably try to get more MiGs and Sukhoi's off Russia instead, because I doubt they'll get their hands on F-16's anytime soon :D they've had the F-14's since 74, I'm surprised they're still serviceable,

Well, spare parts weren't part of the known count of armaments that Mr. Reagan and the Israelis sold to the Iranians, so I'm guessing they were sourced from elsewhere (if they got any).

Well, spare parts weren't part of the known count of armaments that Mr. Reagan and the Israelis sold to the Iranians, so I'm guessing they were sourced from elsewhere (if they got any).

Parts could have been copied and reproduced by the Iranians to extend service lives of the aircraft

Parts could have been copied and reproduced by the Iranians to extend service lives of the aircraft

True - I'd doubt with much success, though. If you don't have the original factory specs...

• Advertisement

True - I'd doubt with much success, though. If you don't have the original factory specs...

i don't know really. if it was me I'd take an F-14 completely to pieces (including the engine) and just copy the shape and size of each piece. can't be too much trouble, well then again you've gotta know exactly where each piece goes in order to put it back together properly :rolleyes: it would be like putting together a very very complicated Airfix kit

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

i don't know really. if it was me I'd take an F-14 completely to pieces (including the engine) and just copy the shape and size of each piece. can't be too much trouble, well then again you've gotta know exactly where each piece goes in order to put it back together properly :rolleyes: it would be like putting together a very very complicated Airfix kit

Theres a bit more to it than the dimensions of the part.
    The metallurgy is the hard part.
    Having said that, Iranian agents have been vacuuming up spare parts from all over the world for years.

They had to take out key parts from the planes they display in museums and on stands out the front of airbases for fear that they could find parts of value easily accessible!

harmoniums wrote: »
    Theres a bit more to it than the dimensions of the part.
    The metallurgy is the hard part.

Yes, this is the point. Even if you laser-scanned the thing, how do you know that the material and manufacture is to the right standard to avoid catastrophe?

when the F-14 was retired from US service, the planes were all broken up and shredded (apart from the ones in museums) just to prevent parts being smuggled to Iran,

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

We did the same with the fougas, just in case................

• Advertisement

well apparently there's a Fouga under restoration in Baldonnel if I'm right? There's another one in a college workshop im not sure though which college.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

well apparently there's a Fouga under restoration in Baldonnel if I'm right? There's another one in a college workshop im not sure though which college.

The Fouga in Baldonnel is only a static museum exhibit that will never fly again.. the same goes for all the former Air Corp Fougas....
    Picture3931.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

That's cos they are airframe time expired. Some things you just can't replace. It's an aircraft that first entered service with the Austrian Air Force almost 60 years ago.

You'll find any historic jet aircraft in use today have very low flying hours.

The Fouga in Baldonnel is only a static museum exhibit that will never fly again.. the same goes for all the former Air Corp Fougas....

nice pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

Iraqi F16's! That'll make Gulf war 3 interesting anyway.:D
    There's another one in a college workshop im not sure though which college.

The two that I know of are at DIT's Aviation Technology Centre at Dublin Airport:

1028096.jpg

and Carlow IT:
    5043485689a11566611437l.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement