Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 400 RDF recruits this year

Options
  • 13-02-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

"Although Defence resourcing has further reduced for 2012, the allocation for paid training for the Reserve Defence Force in 2012 will be maintained at 2011 and 2010 levels. In addition to training for existing members of the Reserve, this will provide for training of approximately 400 new recruits to the Reserve Defence Force during 2012."

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-02-08.1208.0&s=reserve#g1211.0.q

It would be nice if these places go to people who've been turning up week after week, rather than persistent 'no-shows' who just happened to have put their name down first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

How many recruits will each unit be given then? I presume it will be divided equally between each brigade, i.e 100 east, 100 west, 100 south, 100 DFTC. But will it be divided equally per company and battalion or is it divided based on which units have less numbers and need more recruits etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

How many recruits will each unit be given then? I presume it will be divided equally between each brigade, i.e 100 east, 100 west, 100 south, 100 DFTC. But will it be divided equally per company and battalion or is it divided based on which units have less numbers and need more recruits etc?

In the South its been 4 new recuits per company.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but no point in making another but according to the minister's answer the PDF have 9438 members as of 31st of December and with 190 members retiring in Febuary would I be wrong in saying that it will be likely that the PDF will be recruiting 250 this year to keep their numbers up to the minimum of 9500.

CIGANO wrote: »
    Sorry to hi-jack the thread but no point in making another but according to the minister's answer the PDF have 9438 members as of 31st of December and with 190 members retiring in Febuary would I be wrong in saying that it will be likely that the PDF will be recruiting 250 this year to keep their numbers up to the minimum of 9500.

The minister has said 400 new RDF recruits and "targeted recruitment" within the PDF, within the availability of resources, to maintain the number of 9500 members. So yeah your'e right there will be recruitment at some stage for the PDF too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

In the South its been 4 new recuits per company.

Just to be clear on this - are you referring to the 2010/2011 intake, or this year's?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

No way the DFTC will have 100 recruits.
    NSR too will get about 40 I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

is it time to disband Army Reserve Units not in occupied Bks.

mcko wrote: »
    is it time to disband Army Reserve Units not in occupied Bks.

No. We're going to sever ourselves from much of our recruiting pool - family & local ties - if we do that (unless there's to be a magical increase in good recruits from the cities?)

ruserious wrote: »

Did all RDF sub-units in East, West, South and DFTC get equal numbers of recruits in the last intake?

• Advertisement

Maoltuile wrote: »
    Did all RDF sub-units in East, West, South and DFTC get equal numbers of recruits in the last intake?
    I don't know, I'm out of the RDF fold over a year but the DFTC has nowhere near the capacity for 100 recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Again I predict the usual lack of foresight where no screening of candidates is done. Coy Commanders just want numbers. So we will go back to the usual "accept every one who passes a medical" bullsh!t. As a result you end up with wasters that should of been weeded out before wasting time, effort, uniform and a valuable place. We currently have pick of the litter...why take wasters.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Again I predict the usual lack of foresight where no screening of candidates is done. Coy Commanders just want numbers. So we will go back to the usual "accept every one who passes a medical" bullsh!t. As a result you end up with wasters that should of been weeded out before wasting time, effort, uniform and a valuable place. We currently have pick of the litter...why take wasters.

It has a depressing amount of inevitability. Interviews would, as you say, weed a lot out. There should also be a period where recruits/2*'s can be discharged (a fine - being made to buy themselves out - would be too much to hope for?), and the places given to someone else.

ruserious wrote: »

Oh yeah your'e right actually. I totally forgot about the NSR. How many RDF units are there in the DFTC?

Oh yeah your'e right actually. I totally forgot about the NSR. How many RDF units are there in the DFTC?

Not certain but not many at all. I'm pretty sure they get classed under the Eastern Brigade anyway.

Advertisement