Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Night sticks" still used?

Options
  • 07-02-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Are "night sticks" (the long batons) still used in barracks. There was some reach on those sticks. Saw a few mess shin digs brought to order with them in several differant installations ahem:D Or has our pc world dispensed with them and more importantly their use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

time lord wrote: »
    Are "night sticks" (the long batons) still used in barracks. There was some reach on those sticks. Saw a few mess shin digs brought to order with them in several differant installations ahem:D Or has our pc world dispensed with them and more importantly their use?
    never came across em anyway when doin barrack duties i,d imagine there a thing of the past, but naval service armed boarding parties have extendable batons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

ASP ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Na, the PA's use those extendible batons like the ones the Gardai use. At least from what iv'e seen. I'm not in the army though so some people would probably be better able to answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Dinosaur yep thats what I feel now. A dinosaur. Last time I saw them in use was in 96-97 on a drivers course I was on. All the class were in the mess very near the end of course. There was a retirement do at the same time and the place was nice and full, plenty of civvies too.
    It all kicked off between two lads on my course and hell broke out. Some people were on there first social night in a bks. They were in total shock and bailed for the exits. The guard were called out and came in swinging to seperate the main culprits. All that was missing was the fling out through the saloon doors:)
    Their unit was that short of drivers none were thrown off the course. The training n.c.o.s couldn't believe it, that they were allowed finish the course.
    On a similar vein do lads still get put in the cells/guardroom at a moments notice. Always found that amusing. "off to work love see ya for tea" and a few hours later there he is in a cell no laces or belt scratchingg his head. Ya gotta laugh. And 50% of the time they would be on a high stool some hours later being asked by a friendly civvie "good day today?" lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

The lads on the Gate in Mckee had the "table leg" sized sticks on their belt for a while not too sure if they still carry it. I've seen the orderly dog with a maglite on the hip for such eventualities. But wouldn't be common practice AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ah the guard will just beat ya with the butt of the styer as shooting ya would create too much paperwork.as for locking in the cells we experienced it while in recruits as a trooper was found to be in cohoots with an illegal crowd and found out as ya said he had do laces or belt and was seated at the recruits table for meals so we got nosey and asked the DS what was happening with him

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

ah the guard will just beat ya with the butt of the styer as shooting ya would create too much paperwork.as for locking in the cells we experienced it while in recruits as a trooper was found to be in cohoots with an illegal crowd and found out as ya said he had do laces or belt and was seated at the recruits table for meals so we got nosey and asked the DS what was happening with him

You'd want to be on your knees or a shortarse to use the butt of a steyr to dole out a few digs.:D
    Sometimes they would also take your belt when you were on the mat on charges. Marking time then was not recommended. Seperate issue though.
    Never sent to the cells thankfully but did a tonne of cb. We deserved it sometimes eg. forging travel warrents but other times definately not. Charging system was a joke then. Our Coy Comm. would say any more than one every three years was out of order. A law onto himself lol.

Advertisement