Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touching the Void

Options
  • 24-02-2007 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

I have no idea if anyone has seen this movie but its the most incredible story I have ever heard.

Its basically 2 guys in their mid 20's that are climbers who decide to climb up the west face of Siula Grande in the Andes in Peru back in 1985. They get up fine but shortly after starting their decent (which they say in the Documentary is where 80% of accidents happen) one of them (Joe) falls and breaks his leg (extremely badly).

The story is how the two of them get down off the mountain and how one is left for dead but he makes his own way down. This he does 20 mins at a time. Incredible will power.

If you have not seen this get your hands on it and watch it. Its awe inspiring.

On a personal side, this movie/Documentary touched me. It’s an incredible story. I can’t get over how much will power this Joe guy had and the determination it took to literally crawl off the mountain with a broken leg that had completely destroyed his knee joint and in which he was bleeding internally. Unbelievable, just awesome.
    Anyways, watch it if you can.

P.S.: Not for kids, young children (I'd say 16+, it’s a lot to take in) or the feint at heart.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I have seen it and it really is a brilliant documentary. As you say it would have taken some amount of will power to do what Joe did. He must have been in extreme agony, he was suffering from dehydration etc and still managed to drag himself down a mountain in extreme conditions. Amazing stuff really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I would urge everyone to see this. Its excellent.

Advertisement