Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally a real bloody trailer

• 19-02-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

After a dull teaser and two kinda funny...kinda not trailers the simpsons movie finally gets a proper trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/thesimpsonsmovie/trailer3_large.html

Opinion?

It hints at alot of references (bart going around on his board naked is clearly going to be the film's opening or near it as a homage to the series opening.) to earlier episodes and seems to be trying to get back into what made the original series good.

The hope I have for this film is that besides updating a few jokes or social commentaries, the rumours of a film have been going around since the series was good, so it could be a nice big jump back to good simpsons.

At its least it might be a good nostalga trip for fans as it seems to be a mix mash of the series best (and most used) storylines (Homer screws up, Mr burns does something evil)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Ya know what i think? I think this is going to be the most successful movie.... EVER.

And i can't wait to see it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i have no doubt it will be successful its a film of the definite most successful tv series ever

the floodgates will open and fox will be buried in cash.

The question is...will it be good?

Simpsons have been crap for ages (for me ever since that awful trip to london episode I have lost faith) the question is...will the film be like the current batch...or will it be final salvo for the early series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Looking forward to it and think it will be worth it. I think it will silence a lot of people. I saw a new episode last night and found it hilarious, first time in a while. I don't know when Sky will air it, it is titled 'Springfield Up'.

Hmmm, i honestly don't know... I got a couple of giggles from that trailer...*whip!!* rest!! *whip* rest!! hahaha... I think it will be good, but not laughing so hard i'm gonna cry good.

I mean, i presume it will be around the 90 minute mark, that's an awful lot of time to fill!!! The series is less than 25 mintutes an ep is it not?

But in saying that, i still can't wait to see it... It looks great and it will be surreal seeing it on the big screen!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah i was worried about this flick until i saw this trailer! the others were poor! I agree with ^, it will deffo be surreal watchin it on the silver screen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

"I'll teach you to laugh at something that's funny!"

That made me laugh. This could be good but I'll reserve judgement - for me the Simpsons series hasn't been really quality for about 5 or 6 years at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Skeptical here.... very skeptical.... Not just becuase good episodes are few and far between these days, but... well, a movie from a TV show...? That doesn;t work very often!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

I hope, nay pray that this film will be good. The Simpsons, at it's height (we're talking Lemon of Troy, Hank Scorpio) was some of the most sublime writing in television history. Those old episodes still hold up on multiple viewings. But series ten and onwards have mostly sucked. Hopefully the writing will be back on form. The rest will fall into place. Promising so far, but nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ruu wrote:
    Looking forward to it and think it will be worth it. I think it will silence a lot of people. I saw a new episode last night and found it hilarious, first time in a while. I don't know when Sky will air it, it is titled 'Springfield Up'.
    Yep... It was really good this week. Best one in a long time.

I loved how we saw the origins of Crazy Cat Lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

I hope, nay pray that this film will be good. The Simpsons, at it's height (we're talking Lemon of Troy, Hank Scorpio) was some of the most sublime writing in television history. Those old episodes still hold up on multiple viewings. But series ten and onwards have mostly sucked. Hopefully the writing will be back on form. The rest will fall into place. Promising so far, but nothing to write home about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I dunno... watched the trailer and aside from the better quality animation, it just felt like an episode to me. The Simpsons has been on for so long, and become so increasingly outlandish/far-fetched and disjointed on a weekly basis for the past several years now, that I just didn't get any sense of anything new from that preview...

Based on this anyway I can't say I'd be in a rush to see something I can already see several times a day, almost every day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

meh, mediocre trailer imo. I'm not letting myself get excited about this. I'm still not sold on the idea of a Simpsons movie and certainly not now given that the show is nearing it's (lets face it) overdue end. The time for movies was several years ago, why didn't they make one then? A movie was always going to be a big risk so the only reason they're doing it now is because Fox realise the cash cow is spent and just want to squeeze out every last dollar.

So it'll either be one last hurrah or the final nail in the coffin. I'm not hopeful...

...well ok maybe just a little bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

well, a movie from a TV show...? That doesn;t work very often!

south park and serenity.

the trailer was reasonably humourous but it wouldn't make you choke on your own laughter. i'll be waiting to see what kind of reviews it gets when it comes out before i'll see it, i definitely wont be seeing it the opening weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hence the use of the phrase deosn't work very often

South Park is utter muck no matter what way you look at it! Serenity, possibly - haven't seen firefly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

South Park is utter muck no matter what way you look at it!

matter of opinion. I found South Park to be an excellent musical/comedy

though I do agree with you that most times tv series trip when they jump to the big screen.

Star trek tips more often then it lands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I lost faith in The Simpsons a long time ago and although the jokes seem to be a little better written than the last 5 years or so of episodes I still don't hold out much hope for it to hit the greatness of the earlier episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the south park movie was excellent, and fudge anyone who says differently

-edit

trailer actually looks good, very very surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

No matter who good or crap this film is, it will never take away from how good the first dozen or so series are, this is just possibly delicious or possibly yukky tasting icing, on an already very sweet cake for me! :D

I thought the trailer looked great, some fancy looking graphics, but I hope they don't keep the same kind of jokes in it from the last few series, which the first two trailers suggested.

At least it has Lenny in it! \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wow, that has made me not look forward to this anymore than i already did.

it seems sideshow bob is going to be in the movie according to wikipedia...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Certainly is mixed opinions on here, interesting! I guess it'll be the summer before we know.

Remember when south park the movie came out, people said it would be shoite but it went down a storm. Even the movie reviewer for sky news loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

booooring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm not bad. Liked the opening huskie gag, but alot of it seems to be the new 'bad' Simpsons sense of humour which is not funny (hard to put a finger on what exactly).
    But we'll see. Glad to see Lemon of Troy mentioned above. Episodes like that remind you just how good the show was, and if this can reach that level, the film will be something to behold.
    PS anyone else notice the animation has that weird Rugrats movie kind of feel (hey, I was a kid at the height of Rugrats fame ;) )

Hmm not bad. Liked the opening huskie gag, but alot of it seems to be the new 'bad' Simpsons sense of humour which is not funny (hard to put a finger on what exactly).

I think its the original combination of simple slapstick mixed with social commentary on american society of the time made it good.

But now the slapstick is unbelievable in comparsion to simple but well done gags (Sideshow bob and the racks...very simple very funny)

And because it has gone on for so long, the show spends more time mocking its own elements.

Besides you cant mock society when your the biggest representation of it, its just not funny.

also very simple problem with the series has been. its been overplayed to death. What is sky one up to now? 4 episodes a day?

if that was 4 episodes that were on at 2am at night (like with star trek and other shows) fine, no problem. But its 2-4 episodes at 6pm, prime time every day.

Empire magazine had an interview with one of the creators, and seemly every character ever shown in a eppisode is going to be in it + a few new ones!

didnt they try that with the street fighter film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Futurama The Movie :cool:

Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've never seen it, but they tried to force every character into the second Mortal Kombat film and it's infamously bad. But the Simpsons, written by the original crew is much, much better than MK, so I have faith!

if they have every character wouldnt it be the most expensive film ever..seeing as the series has had so many cameos over the years (especially in the later seasons) and the show would have to pay every single royalty at least?

Though South park got every character (almost) into its film...but that was after only 4 or so seasons.

I wont complain if Hank Scorpio shows up, that would istantly make me go see the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Just as long as they have the guy who goes "eeeeeeeeyesss!" I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The bit at the start with the dogs is class!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Gonzo_Reporter

There will be do doubt that this film will make millions. Could become a record breaking film. Like most people my earlest T.V memories are full of Simpson Esp.There was a time i could tell you what one it was from the first couple of seconds. No show has ever been qouted as much. And from what I saw in these trailers were bits of classic writing that reminded of those early Simpsons. Especially the bit with Mr Burns and the hounds.
    Its obvious, to me, that the newer show arent as good as they once were but they have to compete with so much these days or rather just Seth MacFarlane. But like the new Turtles flick Ill be there on openning night. And so will everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

havent really liked the simpsons in ages so this is a bit so so for me. i'll probably go if theres sod all else on that week but they really shouldve done this years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

After series 9 it took a dive but if they can pull off the kind of writing they could on their best episodes (Homer Simpson vs The City Of New York, Cape Feare etc) then it will be massively huge. The trailer doesn't inspire me with confidence :( Please Buddha, Superman make this film great!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Theres no denying that the Simpsons has gone downhill in recent years.
    Although this trailer had some genuinely moments I'm concerned about the overuse of over the top slap stick gags. They seem to be doing a lot of those lately and it just doesn't work for the Simpsons. A more subtle style of humor suites the Simpsons, not the Family Guy esque zaniness they try now (not taht I don't enjoy Family Guy too, but they are funny for different reasons).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

cheers for the link BlitzKrieg.

Looks like its a bit OTT, did i see loads of missiles being launched? how can any single simple family that have no connection or access to power cause missile launches?

• Advertisement

User45701 wrote:
    cheers for the link BlitzKrieg.

Looks like its a bit OTT, did i see loads of missiles being launched? how can any single simple family that have no connection or access to power cause missile launches?
    it's called a cartoon.

to be fair to the simpons, no series generally lasts longer than 5-6 seasons. Some episodes are still funny from the later series.

I saw the one last week where homer became an ice cream man.. I don't know what series it was but it made reference to the new bond, so it's new enough. I have to say, i couldn't stop laughing at the thing. The whole episode was just feckin hilarious!!!! hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The teasers made me cringe, but that new trailer is actually quite good. Definitely a couple of laugh-out-loud moments, so here's hoping.

...and the South Park movie is, in my opinion, closely tied with Life of Brian for best comedy ever. I think it stands totally on it's own legs next to the TV show.

Actually, now that I think about it, Shawn of The Dead would be another comedy film I'd rate very highly - and that was more or less an extension of a television series too (Spaced). So it clearly can work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I doubt it's going to be any good. The simpsons has been ****e for ages. One good thing might come out of it though. I remember matt groening saying they would never do a simpsons movie until the series was dead and that the movie would be the finane of the series. As long as it's making money I doubt he cares though even though he's made his millions and the show is as funny as cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah this will be great. Cant wait.

Advertisement