Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscail

Options
  • 01-07-2004 2:26pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone done a Degree thru Oscail?

Anyone use Ou Credits for exemptions in any unis here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Moonbeam

I did the BSc in IT a while back.

Don't know about expemtions, though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

How did u find it?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I did the first year of the MSc in Internet Systems a couple of years ago and was bitterly disappointed with the way the whole course was run.

I ain't going to go on about it but suffice to say, I wasn't enamoured enough with the whole thing to go back and finish it. :dunno:

On a positive note thaough a friend has progressed to the second year of the same course and says things have improved a lot :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Anyone use Ou Credits for exemptions in any unis here?

I did the B.Sc in IT - finished a few years ago. I found that the course itself was ok but some texts were dated especially in the emerging areas eg Telecom Eireann was hoping to extend 33k internet access (ok maybe that's still topical).

The admin side of things was haphazard - every exam was preceded by an announcement correcting an error. The IT course Director (R. Saunders) was arrogant and not very helpful to students - the year I finished had a debacle in publishing results on the web - they were days late with only a grudging terse message saying that they were late and "anyway we hadn't planned to put them up ..." type message.

You also need to be fairly strong-willed to study in-between assignments - the academic year ran from Janaury to Novemebr with assignments due during the summer. If you're going to do it do it before you have kids !

They did give exempitions based on previous course work but I'm not sure of any credit-based exemptions..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I am currently on my 1st year of a degree in IT.

There have been a number of problems, but broadly speaking, it is do-able.
    I think the course itself is quite good, broad enough to cover the wide spectrum of IT, rather than a degree in computing etc.

The price is reasonable too.

All in all, i chose it over open university, and i belive it was the right decision.

X

• Advertisement

How did u find it?

Essentially as the others are saying. Extremely arrogant administrative staff/support staff, extremely dated material (ISDN is going to be huge, they told us).

If you have no trouble studying, and are relatively technical, you will have no problems. If, however, you run into any problems (academically or otherwise), you are up against a brick wall.

It's not the hardest of courses, just badly run. On the positive side, you get a degree from DCU, and it is cheaper than OU.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wanna do the BA and advantages for it over the ou are well its Irish and I could get my degree from Trinity:)

Anyone done courses thru both and have any comments about them?

I have only heard good about Ou and bad bout Oscail so far,but would much rather have a Irish Uni degree

Actually, the BA in Humanities degree is from Maynooth, at least it was the last time I looked (a year or so ago).

I believe that course is a little better run than the IT course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I am currently on my 1st year of a degree in IT.

Hi Xt, me too are you doing CT1 with Ciaran Motherway by any chance ?

I agree the course text isn't as modern as it could be but the principles and theories aren't to far away. My main gripe is COBOL ! WTF is that all about ?
    You also need to be fairly strong-willed to study in-between assignments - the academic year ran from Janaury to Novemebr with assignments due during the summer. If you're going to do it do it before you have kids !

It depends on the type of person you are and how tolerant your partner is. I've been very fortunate in that my wife and 2 kids give me plenty of slack to study and do the assignments. You need a lot of self-discipline to study on your own and for this reason I think these courses can make for some pretty sought after talent. I mean anyone who has the motivation to study for 20 to 30 hours per week while doing a full time job - I do shift work - and read everything in sight without someone to remind them has to be strong willed. It's very very easy to let things slide until the week before the assignments are due.
    Essentially as the others are saying. Extremely arrogant administrative staff/support staff, extremely dated material (ISDN is going to be huge, they told us).

For most part of this country ISDN is all they have !
    You don't say how long ago you did the course but I haven't had these problems, the staff have always been friendly and courteous when I spoke with them - how did you do by the way ?
    Actually, the BA in Humanities degree is from Maynooth, at least it was the last time I looked (a year or so ago).

I think Oscail does this one as well, I remember at the first tutorial there were 2 middle aged (50 ish) ladies sitting at the back of the room looking bemused by the introductory talk our tutor was giving, it took them over an hour to realise they were in fact in the wrong room and enquired about the Humanities tutorial as they rushed out of the room - certainly broke the ice :)

ZEN

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by ZENER
    Hi Xt, me too are you doing CT1 with Ciaran Motherway by any chance ?

I agree the course text isn't as modern as it could be but the principles and theories aren't to far away. My main gripe is COBOL ! WTF is that all about ?

It depends on the type of person you are and how tolerant your partner is. I've been very fortunate in that my wife and 2 kids give me plenty of slack to study and do the assignments. You need a lot of self-discipline to study on your own and for this reason I think these courses can make for some pretty sought after talent. I mean anyone who has the motivation to study for 20 to 30 hours per week while doing a full time job - I do shift work - and read everything in sight without someone to remind them has to be strong willed. It's very very easy to let things slide until the week before the assignments are due.

You don't say how long ago you did the course but I haven't had these problems, the staff have always been friendly and courteous when I spoke with them - how did you do by the way ?

ZEN

I started in 94 (single with no kids) and finished in 2001 (married & 2 kids) - I got a Pass B.Sc (ttok a break after the diploma ) - despite having a very tolerant partner (who tutored me in the Maths/Stats/prgramming side) I didn't have the desire/patience/application to study the required amount to go get honours - I was happy to prove that you can do very little and still pass if you cram at assignment and exam time.

I'm glad that the staff are good now - it used be a pain to be ringing DCU/NDEC and always getting voicemail...

One thing that p***ed me off a bit was that they were seen as Mickey-Mouse degrees but anyone who did well did so as the result of hard work and applciation and prob more work than was done in college (and having done a BA in UL I can make comaprisons) and the ward was far from being mickey-mouse..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ZENER
    My main gripe is COBOL ! WTF is that all about ?

It just shows you - Oscail are going backwards, not forwards.

Yes, but ignoring our third-world communications infrastructure for now, the point is that they were making ISDN out to be this all-encompassing, digital network that would bring high-speed internet to the masses. Not one iota of a mention of DSL of any shape or form. It was obviously written in the 80's when ISDN was only beginning to appear. My point is how out of date the material was (COBOL - need I say more :D )
    the staff have always been friendly and courteous when I spoke with them - how did you do by the way ?

One incident that springs to mind I had was just after a Maths exam (like a lot of people, my worst subject). I rang the student counsellors because I was a little upset. I told him I felt the exam was unfair and had in it some material we had not covered. He was quite dismissive of me and said that of the couple of hundred of people who did the exam, I was the only one who felt this way. Extremely unsopportive, quite blunt and an ignorant b*****d. In fairness, there were one or two (Rosemary?) who were quite good.

I got a second class honours and I only finished it three years ago. As with others, I was working shift, with no kids and a very supportive wife, so it suited me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Dr. Spock
    I did the first year of the MSc in Internet Systems a couple of years ago and was bitterly disappointed with the way the whole course was run.

re their MSc in Internet Systems, also had a very poor experience with Oscail and that course last year...

BrianG

Advertisement