Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Page Design

Options
  • 04-06-2004 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I am hoping to pursue a distance learning course in Web Page Design. I feel it is the career for me after many years of nursing, but I am apprehensive. Does anybody on Boards know f anybody doing this for a living, asnd how they find it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

a distance learning course in Web Page Design

A What?

I do freelance work as im still in college & I really enjoy it. Their is alot of learning to become any good, its not just Fireworks, photoshop etc... learning PHP, java, SQL, MYSQL etc.. is all needed to be considered. As for a job in web design not too sure whats happening in Dublin, is there any jobs going?

Anyways, Fireworks, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver are all good starts.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You might want to check this thread out . . .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164821

I don't mean to put a dampener on your plans but getting web design work is very difficult. A chap who I played Counter Strike with owns a share in a web design firm and told me that the last junior position (this is one position) they offered last year recieved 100 and something applications! Not only that but he was only offering a starting salary of €19,000. Inevitably, the position was filled by a highly skilled chap who already had two years web design experience behind him, hardly a junior! Stories like this are ten a penny and it's a great time for employers.

The only positive note is that there are so many bad web designers out there, if you can build up a large portfolio with skills and examples of your best material you stand a significantly better chance of getting work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Concorde

Thanks, Raskolnikov. You've helped me make a decision. Of course the head of the college I was applying to tried to tell me there was plenty of freelance work out there. I suppose that's why there's places like Boards...

Advertisement