Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Level Support want to move on. Maybe Network Engineer

Options
  • 02-06-2004 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I need some advice here (hope this is in the right forum wasnt sure whether to put into Work)
    I have been working on a 2nd level HD for the past 2 years for a bank. I'm slowly becomming de-motivated in my current role as the work is tedious at the best of times, also management don't help.

I would like to move into a network engineer role. What course (evaning preferably home study) would people recommend doing. At the moment Im about to start the A+ exams then hopefully move to the N+ plus. What other similar courses that are recognised within the industry would peeple recommend.
    Bear in mind Im more of a hands on type person, studying theory isnt really my thing.
    I tried some mcp's but found them incredably diffuculy bacically I didnt have the background and found myself way out of my leauge (MCP in windows 2000 server) Its more the Hardware side of the industry I am intrested in.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Im 27 years old at the moment

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe a CCNA? or a part-time degree?

Do you want to get into the Windows or Unix side or things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Ima complete unix newbie but would love to get a grasp of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Install Linux on a machine and play:)
    O'Reilly books are great guides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

The A+ and Network+ are pretty good as a starting point (make damn sure that you do network+, as it's essential for getting a job). If you get a job in dell, they'll pay for your mcps, and go through the books with you (you do an mcp as a part of a quartely bonus system). Unfortunetly since so many people use cheat sheets, it's degraded the value of these certs.

The most recognised would be the ones by cisco, preferably CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) and up from that, CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert).

Advertisement