Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying for a degree

Options
  • 12-05-2004 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any info on studying for a degree in computer science ?

cost, where, prerequisite, is it possible to start year 2, ...

JF

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What qualifications do you already hold?
    Are you thinking of doing it part-time or by distance learning?
    What aspect of computer science?the colleges greatly differ in their courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

I have a French certification in computers called DUT... (2 years)
    I am working in the IT industry for 6 years (dev+tech support and a little bit of QA)

I have no clear idea of what to do exactly, I just wanted to see what's available.
    Areas of interest would be software programming, web dev, .. but I thought a degree would be pretty much general knowledge (a bit of everything) ..
    I forgot: I like Maths!

As per the part time question. It s probaly easier to do it in a class with other students but I won't do weird hours like going to a class til 11 pm ...

Can you actually learn the whole thing from home ? I'm not familiar with this concept.

The most important, after I have found something I like, is that the diploma/certification is recognized in the real world, that s why I thought of maybe doing a degree...

Sorry if I'm being too vague.
    Originally posted by Moonbeam
    What qualifications do you already hold?
    Are you thinking of doing it part-time or by distance learning?
    What aspect of computer science?the colleges greatly differ in their courses.
    :

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Jeff Bond
    Can you actually learn the whole thing from home ? I'm not familiar with this concept.

The most important, after I have found something I like, is that the diploma/certification is recognized in the real world, that s why I thought of maybe doing a degree...

There are mainly two options to doing distance learning in Ireland - Oscal (run by Dublin City University) and Open University (based in England, but do take international students).

Both consist of doing assignments during the year, followed by exams at the end of the year.

DCU awards the degrees in Oscail courses, so you get a fully recognised Irish University Degree. Open University awards their own, but I belive they are held in high regard and are well recognised.

Advertisement