Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 nexus 7 <£80

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Looks like a really good deal.

Ever bought a refurbished product from dabs before? Does anyone know what warranty situation would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »

Ever bought a refurbished product from dabs before? Does anyone know what warranty situation would be?

Asus refurb warranty - contact them directly with the serial number an they will tell you what warranty is on the device.

Asus refurb warranty - contact them directly with the serial number an they will tell you what warranty is on the device.

Thanks, also I had missed this on the webpage: "Some items may have been repaired under warranty. Rest assured though that all used stock comes with a 90 day warranty and is in good working order."

Edit - thanks for this, just ordered one.

Thanks, also I had missed this on the webpage: "Some items may have been repaired under warranty. Rest assured though that all used stock comes with a 90 day warranty and is in good working order."

Edit - thanks for this, just ordered one.

You want "repaired under warranty by the manufacturer", and check if there's any remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Thanks OP, came online specifically to find a cheapish tablet as mine stopped working over the weekend and this is just what I was looking for. Cheers.

• Advertisement

One thing worth noting: although I think the Nexus is a great 7" tablet, the headphone volume is ridiculously low. So forget about watching films or listening to music when out an about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

One thing worth noting: although I think the Nexus is a great 7" tablet, the headphone volume is ridiculously low. So forget about watching films or listening to music when out an about.

I'm sure there's a volume-boosting app for that. There must be.

Absoluvely wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a volume-boosting app for that. There must be.

Yep, but that can introduce distortion and in some cases damage the internal speakers of the Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Yep, but that can introduce distortion and in some cases damage the internal speakers of the Nexus.

You said the headphone volume was low! I think you meant the speaker volume. Nothing wrong with headphone volume at all. Speakers are on the quite side but really you should not be watching a film using stock speakers on any phone or tablet.

zarquon wrote: »
    You said the headphone volume was low! I think you meant the speaker volume. Nothing wrong with headphone volume at all. Speakers are on the quite side but really you should not be watching a film using stock speakers on any phone or tablet.

Yeah, on the three models I have used (two 2012s and one 2013) the volume output on the headphones is just too low, and it's a very common complaint. I'd like to know what you have done to yours, or what headphones you are using? Cheers.

I only mentioned the speakers as some people have reported damage when using a software volume booster with no headphones plugged in, or if they're pulled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Yeah, on the three models I have used (two 2012s and one 2013) the volume output on the headphones is just too low, and it's a very common complaint. I'd like to know what you have done to yours, or what headphones you are using? Cheers.

I only mentioned the speakers as some people have reported damage when using a software volume booster with no headphones plugged in, or if they're pulled out.

Use this

worked perfectly for my Nexus 7 (2012)

kingtiger wrote: »
    Use this

worked perfectly for my Nexus 7 (2012)

I think I'm getting old. I just can't be arsed with all that, I just want it a little louder. :pac:

EDIT: Sorry for taking this thread off-topic, this is a discussion for the Android forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I think I'm getting old. I just can't be arsed with all that, I just want it a little louder. :pac:

EDIT: Sorry for taking this thread off-topic, this is a discussion for the Android forum.

aye I know how that feels

but using the Nexus root toolkit it should only take 20mins or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Bought a 15 inch refurbished laptop from Dabs recently for €379. After receiving the laptop and thinking, "jeez this box is very light", to my surprise I opened the box and had been given a 10 inch asus notebook piece of **** worth half the value of my laptop.

When I followed up I was eventually told that the one I had ordered actually wasn't in stock. So they just gave me a notebook and thought I'd understand....

They were very fussy with the refund and wanted me to pay to send it back but they sent a courier in the end to pick it up and said I couldn't track it so i wouldn't know when they received it and therefore could issue the refund. Funnily enough, the courier gave me a code to track it so as soon as it arrived and I hadn't received an email, I kept annoying them so much that they eventually refunded me :P

This is just my experience but I won't be ever dealing with them again. I bought a refurbished laptop from the ebay Argos outlet in the UK after I got the refund and am absolutely delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Every earphone i use is perfect and i have several. I use MX player for video and poweramp for music without issue.

No point criticising this product for such a simple fix. It is a great bargain and highly recommend it. The 2012 model still outperforms a lot of the chinese tablets floating about at similar price points

zarquon wrote: »
    Every earphone i use is perfect and i have several. I use MX player for video and poweramp for music without issue.

No point criticising this product for such a simple fix. It is a great bargain and highly recommend it. The 2012 model still outperforms a lot of the chinese tablets floating about at similar price points

I mentioned it because I have recommended the Nexus to friends and family in the past, and have then heard complaints about this issue and I think it is worth pointing out, particularly now that some solutions have been offered. I'm not knocking the bargain at all.

BTW It is only a simple fix if you know how to fix it, and the 1250 + search results from XDA Developers suggests that it may not be simple or obvious, in fact you haven't even fixed it yourself because you haven't experienced it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Maybe its that eu law on mp3 headphone volume ? Ipods have the same restriction and its really annoying. Id vouch for nexus 7 2012, its a really solid tablet for 100 quid, a much better choice than the chinese options. If I was spending more id get the new windows 8 8" tabs, they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Colemania wrote: »
    Bought a 15 inch refurbished laptop from Dabs recently for €379. After receiving the laptop and thinking, "jeez this box is very light", to my surprise I opened the box and had been given a 10 inch asus notebook piece of **** worth half the value of my laptop.

When I followed up I was eventually told that the one I had ordered actually wasn't in stock. So they just gave me a notebook and thought I'd understand....

They were very fussy with the refund and wanted me to pay to send it back but they sent a courier in the end to pick it up and said I couldn't track it so i wouldn't know when they received it and therefore could issue the refund. Funnily enough, the courier gave me a code to track it so as soon as it arrived and I hadn't received an email, I kept annoying them so much that they eventually refunded me :P

This is just my experience but I won't be ever dealing with them again. I bought a refurbished laptop from the ebay Argos outlet in the UK after I got the refund and am absolutely delighted with it.

I've had nothing but bad luck with online purchases lately from the Moto G from Tesco direct to cables on eBay... Might give this a miss as a result of your experience, thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

I travel alot .....
    That headphone volume issue really annoyed me at first but changing video player to 'MX Player' and getting myself a pair of

http://www.sennheiserireland.com/ie/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_travel-line_502818

These have active noise dampening ...

Never again did a Ryanair hosty interrupt my movie with an ill timed sales pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In an effort to put this thread back on track Amazon (who imo have a good reason for after sales support and returns) are fulfilling a sale from Galore Deals of the the 32GB 2012 model brand new for £119.99

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009X3UW2G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AUW4EDJMAOIRA

• Advertisement

Ordered one on Sunday evening, it arrived in Parcel Motel this evening (Wednesday). Works perfectly, looks new but packaging was very minimal and already opened. Very happy with this deal.

Mine arrived this morning, delighted with it so far. A really striking step up in quality from the cheap one I have been used to. Thanks again for the alert OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Colemania wrote: »

For future reference, a much simpler solution if you find yourself in this kind of situation and have paid by credit card, just call your card provider and ask them to chargeback the transaction. NB - this may not work with debit cards like Visa debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem might not be with the devices. I have had a 2012 and now have a 2013 model, and watch movies and TV shows for a couple of hours a day (I spend a lot of time on the bus), and have never had an issue with the volume.

gerryk wrote: »
    I'm beginning to suspect that the problem might not be with the devices. I have had a 2012 and now have a 2013 model, and watch movies and TV shows for a couple of hours a day (I spend a lot of time on the bus), and have never had an issue with the volume.

:D

As I said earlier, it's a widely reported complaint on XDA (and every other Android forum), and nothing to do with my hearing. What apps and headphones do you use?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=nexus+7+headphone+volume&oq=nexus+7+headphone+volume

BTW, I've just read that headphone volume is limited to 50% by default but if you hold the volume up button in it will allow you to raise it past this with a warning about hearing damage. I don't have headphones with me to test this, but it's an easy fix if true!

EDIT: It has just worked with a mini-jack plugged in, and it seems only needs to be confirmed once, but I have never seen this message when using Samsung or Sennheiser headphones...but I admit, I don't need the volume loud anyway as I don't use it out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

:D

As I said earlier, it's a widely reported complaint on XDA (and every other Android forum), and nothing to do with my hearing. What apps and headphones do you use?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=nexus+7+headphone+volume&oq=nexus+7+headphone+volume

I have a few headphones: Noontec Zoro, AudiOHM idx, and I use MXPlayer and BSPlayer for movies, Google Play Music for tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Seems to be gone now, link no longer works

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Did anyone received it ?

I purchased it on 31st of March and been calling Dabs every couple of days but been told that I need to wait.

I put my Ire address not parcel motel.

Tom

• Advertisement

Did anyone received it ?

I purchased it on 31st of March and been calling Dabs every couple of days but been told that I need to wait.

I put my Ire address not parcel motel.

Tom

Yep, have been using mine for a week or two now. Really happy with it. Arrived in good nick, well packaged etc. I'm in the UK so there may be some differences to their distribution system though?

All in all, I'm delighted with it though. Thanks again to the OP!

Advertisement