Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Produce Bags

Options
  • 04-06-2018 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, I have a question about fresh-produce bags, the thin type that you get in all supermarkets for fruit and veg. I've read they're not accepted for recycling (because they get caught up in the machines) and am wondering if this is true, why aren't shops replacing them with biodegradable bags? Since plastic waste is such a big problem, would this not make a big difference?

I've also recently came across compostable plastic-like disposable cups, and thought how beneficial it would be to replace all small, disposable plastic cups with these.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

diana_micu wrote:
    Hi, I have a question about fresh-produce bags, the thin type that you get in all supermarkets for fruit and veg. I've read they're not accepted for recycling (because they get caught up in the machines) and am wondering if this is true, why aren't shops replacing them with biodegradable bags? Since plastic waste is such a big problem, would this not make a big difference?

My understanding is, this type of plastic is currently not recyclable in Ireland.

My own opinion on why it is currently not attractable to convert to better materials, as suggested, our current economic thinking does not permit this, as it would interfere with our addiction to metrics such as 'growth', which means suppliers, in order to survive and 'grow', results in them choosing cheaper packing materials, resulting in such materials being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Supervalu has introduced biodegradable produce bags to 70 of its stores.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0419/955683-supervalu-introduces-compostable-bags/

Personally I don’t bother with bags for loose fruit and veg unless I’m buying loose mushrooms or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Anakena

Oh I wasn't aware Supervalu introduced them! Great to see it, hopefully the rest will follow suit

Advertisement