Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Emmigration to England 1950 records available!!

Options
  • 29-10-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Does anyone know where I can find Emmigration boat records from Ireland (cobh) to England in the 1940's - 1960's time???
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

By that stage, you could just buy tickets for the ferry. It's a common travel area. You'd need to see what ferry companies ran that route then but remember that people could easily come to the east coast and go to Holyhead. You're more likely to just find people showing up in UK records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What pinkypinky said. You could buy a ticket for an Irish sea ferry as easily as you could buy a ticket on a city bus, and you didn't have to give your name, so the ferry operators had no passenger lists. Nor was there any migration or passport control between the UK and Ireland, so no records of names of those departing or arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Ahh..that makes sence! Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nor was there any migration or passport control between the UK and Ireland.

Except during the War or Emergency as our government called it.

They had a travel permit, a sort of cheap identity card with a photo stuck on it. I used have my mother's permit, but cannot find it now.

So far as I know, the authorities just looked at it, no record was kept.

Any other time, you just bought your ticket and walked on board the ship, no questions asked. Coming back through customs was a different matter, there was revenue at stake, and goodies for the customs officers who might confiscate something.

Advertisement