Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands Greatest Woman

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Billiejo wrote: »
    What about the 1800's Elsie Sands and Nora Diamond. Nothing to do with politics. Maybe religion and Health care!!!!. But they made one hell of a contribution to the welfare of Irish lads, lassies and their kids.

what did they do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

My Missus. She has brought 4 wonderful children into the world, fed, reared, loved & minded them while I was away working, brings me breakfast in bed, always surprises me on my birthday & at Christmas, and is a boon companion.

- FoxT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

FoxT wrote: »
    My Missus. She has brought 4 wonderful children into the world, fed, reared, loved & minded them while I was away working, brings me breakfast in bed, always surprises me on my birthday & at Christmas, and is a boon companion.

- FoxT

what has she done for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

FoxT wrote: »

- FoxT

Fail. Do not post in this thread again if you're not going to make a serious comment. Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Emme wrote: »
    Where in Ireland did she come from?

Born in Newbridge, although she spent most of her life in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

goose2005 wrote: »
    Born in Newbridge, although she spent most of her life in England.

I never heard of her until now. When you think of all the recognition Marie Curie (rightfully) received, this woman is being short-changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Fail. Do not post in this thread again if you're not going to make a serious comment. Mod.

And yet the one word post 'mammy' was accepted and thanked by many. Leave the mod cap off for a moment and chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mary Byrne?

But seriously and sadly, as high profile women go, there isn't many options in Ireland. But I agree with a previous post, about the unspoken women of Ireland, the mothers, wives, sisters etc that shaped Ireland to what it is today. Is that patronising? (I'm sorry if it sounds like that!).

Whether you like her or not, Mary Harney has been one of the most influential woman in Irish history. That kinda says something.

But seriously and sadly, as high profile women go, there isn't many options in Ireland. But I agree with a previous post, about the unspoken women of Ireland, the mothers, wives, sisters etc that shaped Ireland to what it is today. Is that patronising? (I'm sorry if it sounds like that!).

Whether you like her or not, Mary Harney has been one of the most influential woman in Irish history. That kinda says something.

I think that is a bit unfair and I don't think people are fleshing out the characters and accomplishments of those they put forward enough.
    CDfm wrote: »
    The Arklow Shipowner Kate Tyrell was the first to use it internationally on her schooner as she sailed into Liverpool after Independence and it got confused with the Italian flag. She had an ensign made several years earlier which she kept in a box in her cabin.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66291928&postcount=83

She used to transport explosives which were volitile and were safer in timber vessels. She was also the first woman ships master recorded on the Llyods Shipping Register.

So the first person to officially use the flag in any legal sense, may indeed have been a woman. And seeing that this is an iconic man thread eek.gif

I did this light hearted post in the Gentlemans Club but Kate Tyrell should be iconic but isn't in the same way that Anna Haslam is airbrushed out.

I think the reason is that we do not know them as people and they had larger lives.

I can think of a few Irish actresses and singers ,like Peg Woffington the acclaimed 18th century shakesperian actress and sometime companion of David Garrick who had a Molly Malone style upbringing, and I would like to see more than just names but why we should admire them.

image003.jpg

I really would love to read more but people of substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

CDfm wrote: »
    what did they do ?

Google the names.

Elsie Sands; Sands Home The Curragh Supported young soldiers.

Nora Diamond: The FIRST Public Health Nurse based in the Curragh 1890ish.

• Advertisement

Billiejo wrote: »
    Google the names.

Elsie Sands; Sands Home The Curragh Supported young soldiers.

Nora Diamond: The FIRST Public Health Nurse based in the Curragh 1890ish.

I did and for Elise Sands I get this

xx.gif
    Elises dream of having a Sands Home in every Garrison town in Ireland was fast becoming a reality (22 homes by 1913) and she was proving herself to be a very competent administrator as more Homes were established (11) in widely scattered remote locations across India.

The Curragh Home where 5,000 soldiers were based at the time (1899) was so successful and particularly gratifying to Elise. The women in charge were addressed as 'Mother' and it is clear from the many testimonies of grateful soldiers that they created a 'Home from Home' atmosphere for lonely men, some of whom were alcoholics.
    Many of the men believed themselves to have been saved in body and spirit and some even became missionaries.

The Great War (1914)
    When war was declared Elise was in Coolmoney Camp and increased her humanitarian work as Army camps expanded with the call-up of reserves and new recruits.
    She and her helpers quickly became aware of the appalling scale of casualties and horrors of war reported in the many letters sent from the trenches and their work for the next 4 years was to prepare men for death.
    Along with prayers there were practical supports: parcels sent to men at the front, with food, clothing, books, magazines and treats. Women went on board troopships before they sailed, handing out postcards and pencils for soldiers to send a last message home.

And for Nora Diamond I get this
    The baby would have been born at the Curragh Families Hospital (gone in the last 5 years) next door to the Military Hospital which still exists.
    There was a Community Welfare Nurse for the army families (actually a fore-runner of the present Health Visitor) Name was Nora Diamond, based at Alexandra House in the Curragh from 1892 employed by SAFFA (British Army Welfare for families overseas) still in existance.
    Curragh Camp army base & married quarters still exist as handed over to the Irish defense forces when the British left in 1922.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,198184.msg991620.html

Now call me a bit of an old cynic but you must for some reason think they were exceptional and they are very interesting choices as both appeared to have left when the British Army pulled out. Miss Sands moved to Co Down.

I was driving near the Curragh a while back and the local radio was running a story about the curragh wrens , women camp followers and prostitutes who used to live in mud dug outs etc in the fields around the Curragh. Lots of Irish lived in mud huts even then census of 1890 had returns of 10% of homes being so.

It is an interesting topic as our perceptions of garrisons and their lives and integration is not much discussed.

Advertisement