Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can't see Leinster agreeing to release him from his contract. It's too late to bring anyone in at his level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I agree completely. I wonder could it be Leinster just hedging their bets. If he doesn't come back they look like they've been hard done by rather than just letting one of their main players leave.

IMO they can and would take him to court if he breaks his contract. So it would have to be a mutual agreement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd be incredibly unhappy and surprised if Leinster let him go. He hasn't been as impressive as I'd hoped - and I think he was in desperate need of an extended break so this call up won't help - but we're not talking Sykes here. He is a productive and useful member of the squad and Leinster have no obligation to let him go.

I hadn't expected to have too much free time during the RWC so had only a cursory glance at tickets but looking again now as I expect to have more availability the pricing seems extremely steep.

Have games been selling out? Are the prices likely to drop closer to the time. I'm not short on cash but I still hate to pay for something which I feel is heavily over priced.

Edit: I was possibly on a reselling site with heavily inflated prices.
    Edit 2: Have confirmed, actual prices are reasonable - be careful as googling RWC tickets brings many dodgy or overpricing sites it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

I hadn't expected to have too much free time during the RWC so had only a cursory glance at tickets but looking again now as I expect to have more availability the pricing seems extremely steep.

Have games been selling out? Are the prices likely to drop closer to the time. I'm not short on cash but I still hate to pay for something which I feel is heavily over priced.

Edit: I was possibly on a reselling site with heavily inflated prices.
    Edit 2: Have confirmed, actual prices are reasonable - be careful as googling RWC tickets brings many dodgy or overpricing sites it seems.

If you look on the official RWC ticket website now, a pile of tickets just became available.

https://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/gpctp/Browse/0

• Advertisement

So not only do they charge extortionate postage, they charge 2% if you don't pay with MasterCard.

I'm a broken record at this stage but it's ridiculous.

If you look on the official RWC ticket website now, a pile of tickets just became available.

https://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/gpctp/Browse/0

Thanks. I'm fairly internet savvy but the site I ended up on had minimum prices of £229 for lowest category tickets.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Back to the Kane Douglas thing.... EatSleepRugby are saying on twitter that the ARU are going to have to pay $370k to Leinster to release him so he can sign for Queensland Reds. They don't give any sources or anything though and I can't see mention of it from anywhere else.

I thought the Aussies were struggling financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Back to the Kane Douglas thing.... EatSleepRugby are saying on twitter that the ARU are going to have to pay $370k to Leinster to release him so he can sign for Queensland Reds. They don't give any sources or anything though and I can't see mention of it from anywhere else.

They lifted that from the Australian newspapers.

• Advertisement

I see Jean de Villiers has been named on the bench for South Africa's match at the weekend. Amazing recovery for him to even get that far. Interesting to see if he gets to play. If you haven't seen the two short documentaries about his recovery I highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Australia have named a reduced squad of 31 for the games against Argentina and South Africa. No Kane Douglas. The backline will probably be the 14 that travel to the WC, with Speight replacing Tomane most likely. Forwards are missing another prop and a third hooker, will replace one of the second rows and one of the backrowers. Plenty of potential in the squad, just the problem of picking the right combination.
    Props: Greg Holmes, Sekope Kepu, Scott Sio, James Slipper

Hookers: Stephen Moore, Tatufu Polota-Nau

Second Row: Rory Arnold, James Horwill, Dean Mumm, Will Skelton, Rob Simmons

Back Row: Scott Fardy, Scott Higginbotham, Michael Hooper, Ben McCalman, Sean McMahon, David Pocock

Scrum Half: Will Genia, Nick Phipps

Out Half: Quade Cooper, Bernard Foley

Centres: Kurtley Beale, Matt Giteau, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Toomua

Back 3: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Israel Folau, Rob Horne, Drew Mitchell, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Joe Tomane
    Cut: Toby Smith, Tetera Faulkner, James Hanson, Dave Dennis, Wycliff Palu, Nic White, Christian Lealiifano, Samu Kerevi, Nick Cummins,

Taqele Naiyaravoro.

What's the story with this character then? He's contracted to Glasgow next season, how is he eligible for the Wallabies?

What's the story with this character then? He's contracted to Glasgow next season, how is he eligible for the Wallabies?

Players going overseas can still play for the Wallabies. Plus he wants out of his contract with Glasgow so Cheika probably thinks that he will be part of his long term plans.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Players going overseas can still play for the Wallabies.

Only if they have 60+ caps and 7 years of service.

What's with Aussies and trying to get out of contracts all of a sudden...

Quade Cooper and James O'Connor's contracts with Toulon have been a yo-yo story as well.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Only if they have 60+ caps and 7 years of service.

What's with Aussies and trying to get out of contracts all of a sudden...

That policy is for players already playing overseas. For players that are still contracted to a Super Rugby team but who are going overseas at the end of the contract, they can be called up without restriction. That's why Ashley-Cooper, Quade Cooper, Genia, Horwill, Kepu and the others can be called up.

Edit: You have rumours as well this week about Genia trying to get out of his contract with Stade. The lure of big money makes them forget to think about leaving behind their home, friends and family till it is too late.

Quade Cooper and James O'Connor's contracts with Toulon have been a yo-yo story as well.

What is the story with James O'Connor? He was at Toulon, now he's at the Reds but he's going back to Toulon?

What is the story with James O'Connor? He was at Toulon, now he's at the Reds but he's going back to Toulon?

Yes, he's contracted to Toulon next season.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    That policy is for players already playing overseas. For players that are still contracted to a Super Rugby team but who are going overseas at the end of the contract, they can be called up without restriction. That's why Ashley-Cooper, Quade Cooper, Genia, Horwill, Kepu and the others can be called up.

Ah misunderstood you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Fluorosilisic Frank

Sorry if it's been asked already, but does anyone know if the RWC warm up games are being televised?

And if so on what channels ?

Sorry if it's been asked already, but does anyone know if the RWC warm up games are being televised?

And if so on what channels ?

Yes, sky sports

Edit: the away game in Wales might be on BBC and RTE, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ireland v France biggest game , since the nightmare against Wales four years ago - some may disagree , i really fear France , cause we are favourites , and in essence its s a must win , if this is the first Irish team to really compete at a WC , and get a semi final place at least - we've had the once off wins , the big stuff begins now.

Anyone see the article where Mike Tindall thinks New Zealand are the only team that can stop England from winning the World Cup?

I wouldn't even be 100% confident that they'll make it out of their pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Anyone see the article where Mike Tindall thinks New Zealand are the only team that can stop England from winning the World Cup?

To be honest I wouldn't disagree with him. I make them second favourites behind NZ, maybe on a par with SA with us just behind as 4th favourites.

England have a tough pool, probably the toughest in WC history, but they have home advantage, that is absolutely huge for them. If they win their pool they will have every chance of getting to the final and in a one off against NZ at Twickenham I wouldn't bet against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

thebaz wrote: »
    Ireland v France biggest game, since the nightmare against Wales four years ago - some may disagree , i really fear France, cause we are favourites, and in essence its a must win, if this is the first Irish team to really compete at a WC, and get a semi final place at least - we've had the once off wins, the big stuff begins now.
    French game is biggest game as it will determine our 1/4 and whether we play NZ in 1/4 or final....
    It has to be seen as nothing other than a must win if we have genuine aspirations of making the semis

What else would you expect him to say????
    There's going to be loads/has been loads articles similar to that over past few/in next few months in English media..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I'm confident enough NZ make it out if their pool :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Fiji lost to New Zealand Maori 27-26 today.

They were 26-10 up at halftime when Nadolo went off injuried then seemed to lose their way. Massive shame as they were dominant in the first half and should have won.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any idea how Mafu'u played?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Australia would be the team to watch, they are coming in under the radar with a good coach in place, players playing outside Australia are eligible so they have an experienced squad and have done it all before. They have a tough group to get out of though, I'd back them to that at the very least.

Advertisement