Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

• 27-05-2015 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Not too long until the big show, the NH has all but wound down for the season, while in the SH there are about 6 weeks left of Super Rugby plus the abreviated 4N tournament to come. Without futher ado:

Pool A
    Far and away the most exciting of the 4 pools, hosts England with 2-time winners Australia, Wales, and the pesky Fijians (if you're Welsh). Uruguay round out the pool.

The winners should get a relatively dream run to the final, with Scotland or Samoa in a 1/4 and 6N rivals France/Ire or Argentina in a semi. 2nd place likely gets SA in a 1/4 final and probably (but not definitely!) NZ in a semi-final.

The Pacific Nations always step up for the RWC, so with the exception of games involving the Uruguayans, all pool games should be worth watching.

Prediction: Australia and England to go through, can't decide who is top, winner at short odds to make the final, fatigue and squad depth might be an issue though. Fiji to run someone close.

Pool B
    South Africa should take this pool out. Scotland and Samoa to fight it out for 2nd spot. Samoa at full strength and on their day can definitely beat Scotland. Staurt Hogg vs Tim Nanai-Williams is a juicy match-up. Japan can also not be completely disregarded. I don't think the USA will upset any of the better teams, but would hope to finish 3rd to ensure qualification for 2019.

Prediction: South Africa and probably Scotland. But Samoa could surprise. A Samoa vs England quarter final would be entertaining. Hopefully the Samoans get the rub of the referees this time, they were a bit shafted in 2011.

Pool C
    Yawn. As always, NZ gets the weakest pool, which is never a help. Hard to see them not finishing convincingly top. Argentina should take out 2nd but the battle between Georgia and Tonga for that precious 3rd spot could be a good game. The Georgian coach has targetted 3rd spot, and I reckon he'll get it. Namibia making up the numbers.

Prediction: NZ and Argentina.

Pool D
    France vs Ireland will decide this pool, although you could never bet against Italy upsetting France. The Canadians will fancy their chances of finishing 3rd ahead of Italy. Much like Pool A, the winner gets a more gentle route to the final (likely Argentina then England or Australia or possibly Wales).

Prediction: Ireland and France. A rematch of NZ vs Fra 2007 awaits.

This promises to be the most competitive tournament to date with realistic title ambitions for England, Wales, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa. And the French can never be discounted, also with room for upsets from the Tier 2 nations. There should also be good competition for the 3rd pool spots and automatic qualification for 2019. Hopefully the weather, injuries, and poor refereeing decisions don't tarnish the tournament.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yep, agree with those predictions. Would love Samoa to spring a surprise, other than that I can't see where any real shock is going to come from, but then nobody predicted Tonga to beat France in 2011...

It's going to be asked many, many times over the next few months, but TV3 have the coverage, and they say they will have HD up and running in time.

ITV have the rights in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

I'm imagining the media storm of England don't make it through. And all the rubbish about 'should have picked overseas players'.

How many games do we and France play before we meet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How many games do we and France play before we meet?

It's our final pool match so 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Jonathan Davies ruled out for Wales is a massive blow for them, the one good thing they have going for them is that Scott Williams is there to fill in, quality player who has been underused by Wales for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Nim wrote: »
    It's out final pool match so 3.

Tickets for this go on sale tmrw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah hard to see past those predictions really. It's mad though that 3 of the teams with real title ambitions are in the same pool with the other 3 spread out among the other 3 pools. Although I suppose the Welsh can't complain about that given their utter inability to beat SH opposition for so long.

PSAs training squad would suggest he'll be up to his usual tricks. That said they'll have time together, which is something they've lacked in the past. That could make a difference. Plus they always seem to do well against Ireland, even in defeat. They are the real dark horses of this tournament I reckon. And they still scare the bejaysus out of me. Especially after the 2014 6 Nations when we all wrote them off beforehand and it nearly came back to bite us.

Some of the other game I'm looking forward to:

Wales vs Fiji - because that has entertainment written all over it.
    Scotland vs Samoa - it'll be interesting to see how this Scottish side fair against the Samoans.
    Samoa vs Japan - a lot of the smaller games like this can be a lot more open and enjoyable.
    Argentina vs Tonga - another one I think could be very entertaining.
    France vs Italy - because I really want to see Italy do a number on France there, even if just to help us out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Jonathan Davies ruled out for Wales is a massive blow for them, the one good thing they have going for them is that Scott Williams is there to fill in, quality player who has been underused by Wales for me

Davies is well over rated though, I nearly pick williams ahead of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah hard to see past those predictions really. It's mad though that 3 of the teams with real title ambitions are in the same pool with the other 3 spread out among the other 3 pools. Although I suppose the Welsh can't complain about that given their utter inability to beat SH opposition for so long.

PSAs training squad would suggest he'll be up to his usual tricks. That said they'll have time together, which is something they've lacked in the past. That could make a difference. Plus they always seem to do well against Ireland, even in defeat. They are the real dark horses of this tournament I reckon. And they still scare the bejaysus out of me. Especially after the 2014 6 Nations when we all wrote them off beforehand and it nearly came back to bite us.

Some of the other game I'm looking forward to:

Wales vs Fiji - because that has entertainment written all over it.
    Scotland vs Samoa - it'll be interesting to see how this Scottish side fair against the Samoans.
    Samoa vs Japan - a lot of the smaller games like this can be a lot more open and enjoyable.
    Argentina vs Tonga - another one I think could be very entertaining.
    France vs Italy - because I really want to see Italy do a number on France there, even if just to help us out!

Dark horses for me are Aussie. If they can top pool A, they can make the final, and unlike historically NZ, Wales & Ireland, they don't tend to have mental issues when it counts. They have been there done that before. As usual, it will be whether their tight 5 can front up sufficiently.

vwMin.gif

How is the 4N going to be abbreviated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyone else looking to buy in this sale this morning? Feels like the IRFU supporters club sales for 6N tickets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Reckon Japan might surprise a few they have done very well in pacific nation cup lately . Some Samoan players like Cenus would rather play for club than country , their union is still in a shambles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

vienne86 wrote: »
    Anyone else looking to buy in this sale this morning? Feels like the IRFU supporters club sales for 6N tickets!

Having a look at least. Unless I can get reasonably priced tickets though they may forget about it. Still waiting in the queue though at the moment.

How is the 4N going to be abbreviated?

Only 1 game between each sides, with 2 games between NZ & Australia, one of which will be the 2nd Bledisloe cup fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Dylan Hartley dropped from England's World Cup squad

Patrick Tuipolotou out of the RWC :(

I don't expect any sympathy on an Irish forum but I thought he might have been one of the stars. The rest of NZs reserve locks are all a bit same-y but Paddy was NZs answer to the NWJMB.

He needs bilateral hip surgery on a previously undiagnosed congenital hip defect that has contributed to a debilitating groin injury.

He'll just have to star against the Lions so. See I can be philosophical and look on the bright side!

Edit: I honestly think that lengthens NZ's odds but maybe I'm being a drama queen...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey
    Chim chim cher-ee!
    The next Englishman banned will be Cipriani

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Patrick Tuipolotou out of the RWC :(

I don't expect any sympathy on an Irish forum but I thought he might have been one of the stars. The rest of NZs reserve locks are all a bit same-y but Paddy was NZs answer to the NWJMB.

He needs bilateral hip surgery on a previously undiagnosed congenital hip defect that has contributed to a debilitating groin injury.

He'll just have to star against the Lions so. See I can be philosophical and look on the bright side!

Edit: I honestly think that lengthens NZ's odds but maybe I'm being a drama queen...

What happened to Romano? Is it Romano I'm thinking of? Really big guy who looked like he could be your next 4 until Retallick happened?

Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey
    Chim chim cher-ee!
    The next Englishman banned will be Cipriani

What happened to Romano? Is it Romano I'm thinking of? Really big guy who looked like he could be your next 4 until Retallick happened?

Yes, you don't have dementia yet. His 2014 season was decimated by injury, but he has been back this year...just hasn't recaptured the same heights in my opinion. (oh was that a terrible pun?). The locks for the 2nd row (there I go again) are of course Whitelock and Retallick with Thrush, Romano, and the uncapped James Broadhurst probably fighting it out for the other spots. Dominic Bird has fallen completely off the radar. Honestly, Tuipolotou was a certainly for the 19 shirt IMO, he might not quite have the core duties down as well as the other 2, but he has an incredible bust-the-tackle offloading game which would have suited the ABs down to a tee. Other countries should be secretly happy IMO, although I don't like the idea of rejoicing in player's misfortunes. It's inevitable however that players will fall by the wayside in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Danny Danny Danny... After genuinely playing well for England at the weekend getting man of the match, scoring 2 tries and kicking 11/11 he gets behind the wheel of his £60,000 merc and drives into some else at 5am as reported in other media outlets. Watching Sale a lot this season he basically ensured they had a respectable season that looked like champions cup rugby at one point and by all accounts is a decent skin but what an idiot. For his sake hope he wasn't over the limit and was just a minor incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So where was the World Cup advertisement featuring Cipriani, Tuilagi and Hartley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scotland squad announced.

WP Nel and Josh Strauss into the forwards. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/32973826

Stuart McInally is included, handy choice to cover hooker/backrow. He finished the season at flanker for Edinburgh due to injuries but he should be sub Hooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For his sake hope he wasn't over the limit and was just a minor incident.

Ermmmm..........

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/danny-cipriani-arrested-on-suspicion-of-drink-driving-1.2234366

Stu Lancaster must dread picking up his phone of a morning.

Scotland World Cup training squad

Props: M Cusack (Glasgow), A Dell, A Dickinson (Edinburgh), R Grant (Glasgow), W Nel (Edinburgh), G Reid (Glasgow), J Welsh (Newcastle).

Hookers: F Brown (Glasgow), R Ford, S McInally (Edinburgh).

Second-rows: G Gilchrist (Edinburgh), J Gray (Glasgow), R Gray (Castres), J Hamilton (Saracens), R Harley, T Swinson (Glasgow).

Back-rows: A Ashe (Glasgow), J Barclay (Scarlets), H Blake (Glasgow), B Cowan (London Irish), D Denton (Edinburgh), J Strauss (Glasgow), A Strokosch (Perpignan), R Wilson (Glasgow), H Watson (Edinburgh).

Scrum-halves: C Cusiter (Sale), S Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh), G Laidlaw (Gloucester), H Pyrgos (Glasgow).

Fly-halves: R Jackson (Wasps), F Russell, D Weir (Glasgow).

Centres: M Bennett, A Dunbar, P Horne (Glasgow), M Scott (Edinburgh), D Taylor (Saracens), R Vernon (Glasgow).

Three-quarters: S Hogg (Glasgow), D Hoyland (Edinburgh), R Hughes, S Lamont (Glasgow), S Maitland (London Irish), T Seymour (Glasgow), G Tonks (Edinburgh), T Visser (Harlequins).

Josh Strauss included despite the fact he will only become eligible to play four days before Scotland's first game. Likewise WP Nel qualifies over the summer but will at least be available for the warm-ups.

Recall for Johnny Barclay too. Can't see any major omissions there.

And credit to the Scots for having so many of their squad playing in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

^^ Toolis is probably the only ommission there that slightly raises eyebrows, he's seemed to push on from the 6 Nations to finish the season strongly.
    No indication of captain either it would seem, which may indicate Laidlaw is under serious pressure from SHC.

What about these world cup warm up games, what is Joe going to want out of them?

Obviously he's going to want to give everyone game time and I'd say he's not going to want to show his hand, as it were in terms of set piece moves etc. Will he be looking to win them convincingly to build momentum and maybe cast doubt in opposition teams such as England (not sure if we are due to meet them in the WC). Is he happy enough just to let our guys go out and have a run about with out caring about the result just so we come in under the radar?

How would you guys assess his priorities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

What about these world cup warm up games, what is Joe going to want out of them?

Obviously he's going to want to give everyone game time and I'd say he's not going to want to show his hand, as it were in terms of set piece moves etc. Will he be looking to win them convincingly to build momentum and maybe cast doubt in opposition teams such as England (not sure if we are due to meet them in the WC). Is he happy enough just to let our guys go out and have a run about with out caring about the result just so we come in under the radar?

How would you guys assess his priorities?

Balance of game time, no injuries, results and players getting form abd combinations getting time together. Hard to know what to think about results.

There's growing concern about Duane Vermeulen's participation. He is seeing a neurologist as he is suffering severe neck problems. I know SA are not short of quality forwards but Vermeulen would surely be a big loss.

There's growing concern about Duane Vermeulen's participation. He is seeing a neurologist as he is suffering severe neck problems. I know SA are not short of quality forwards but Vermeulen would surely be a big loss.

Yeah he had to pull out of the last stormers game after the captain's run. The team doctor is going to see how things go, but he may or probably will have to undergo surgery to correct it. I'd rather he had the problem corrected as soon as possible.

PS. It's a disc pressing on a nerve; actually rather than me trying to remember what I read a few days ago, here have a recent quote from the team doctor today:

Stormers doctor Jason Suter said: “Duane suffered from a severe neck spasm after the captain's practice on Friday.

“We did an MRI that showed he had a bulging disc at the C5 level. The disc is bulging onto the nerve root, and that is causing intense spasm. Based on that, he was removed from the game because he was not functional.
    “In terms of a prognosis, and in terms of his management, it's too early for us to say what that management is going to be. At the moment, he has no neurological symptoms that require urgent intervention.

“The next 24 hours will tell us a lot in terms of how we are going to manage him, and how long his recovery time will be. He will see a neurosurgeon on Monday, and we have already begun the assessment process by forwarding Duane's scans on.”

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/15177/9878675/duane-vermeulen-a-world-cup-injury-concern-for-south-africa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mourad Boudjellal likes this

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/10/overseas-trio-primed-for-wallabies-call-up

Cheika has spoken to Giteau, Mitchell and George Smith and all three have confirmed availability for the RWC under Australia's new policy.

Not really sure about Smith but Mitchell and Giteau would be great additions.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/10/overseas-trio-primed-for-wallabies-call-up

Cheika has spoken to Giteau, Mitchell and George Smith and all three have confirmed availability for the RWC under Australia's new policy.

Not really sure about Smith but Mitchell and Giteau would be great additions.

How was the Australian policy changed?

The board of directors sat down and discussed the issue. They subsequently voted on it, and it passed by a majority of 8 votes to 2. The new policy was released to the players and the media.

They're now allowing overseas players who have 60 caps and played in Australia for 7 years before leaving.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The board of directors sat down and discussed the issue. They subsequently voted on it, and it passed by a majority of 8 votes to 2. The new policy was released to the players and the media.

You cheeky pedantic... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

2 sides had 14 representatives at 2011 tournament: Leinster ... & Russian side VVA-Podmoskovye

What sides do people think will match/beat that figure this time round?

2 sides had 14 representatives at 2011 tournament: Leinster ... & Russian side VVA-Podmoskovye

What sides do people think will match/beat that figure this time round?

Leinster

Healy, McGrath, Ross, Moore, Cronin, Strauss, Toner, SOB, Heaslip, Murphy, Boss, Reddan, Sexton, Madigan, Fitzgerald, Kearney = 16

That number could go up too if the likes of Furlong, McFadden or Ruddock sneak in.

I'd imagine Glasgow will have a serious representation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster

Healy, McGrath, Ross, Moore, Cronin, Strauss, Toner, SOB, Heaslip, Murphy, Boss, Reddan, Sexton, Madigan, Fitzgerald, Kearney = 16

That number could go up too if the likes of Furlong, McFadden or Ruddock sneak in.

Bent is an outside bet too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 concon147

I bought 3 CATA tickets for france game, wondering should I hold onto them or put them back up. Would rather cheaper ones but i'd be afraid i'd be left with none.
    Will CAT A tickets be valuable closer to the time?

Leinster

Reckon the new Argentinian Super Rugby franchise might top the lot...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

I understand that the re-branding of the IRB took place after all the World Cup insignia had been decided on, hence why it's still the "IRB Rugby World Cup", but why are World Cup tournaments not branded individually? As with the FIFA World Cup? Or the Olympics? Insignificant matter I know, but at least it'd be the end of that horrendous green, white and blue striped logo we've had since as far back as 1995 if this were the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Australia have named a provisional 22 man squad (excluding Waratahs, Brumbies, and overseas players) for the Rugby Championship. Will be added to after the conclusion of the Super Rugby season. The eventual squad will be reduced to 35 for the Rugby Championship and then reduced once again for the World Cup.

The most interesting selection for me is Karmichael Hunt, who really has done nothing this year to impress. Some players can feel unlucky not to be in the squad such as Timani, Stirzaker, Inman, Harris, Charles, and Godwin.
    Props: Paul Alo-Emile (Rebels); Toby Smith (Rebels); James Slipper (Reds); Greg Holmes (Reds); Tetera Faulkner (Force)

Hookers: Saia Fainga'a (Reds); James Hanson (Reds)

Second Row: Luke Jones (Rebels); James Horwill (Reds); Rob Simmons (Reds); Adam Coleman (Force)

Backrow: Sean McMahon (Rebels); Scott Higginbotham (Rebels); Liam Gill (Reds); Matt Hodgson (Force); Ben McCalman (Force)

Scrum Half: Will Genia (Reds)

Outhalf: Quade Cooper (Reds)

Centre: Samu Kerevi (Reds)

Back 3: Karmichael Hunt (Reds); James O'Connor (Reds); Nick Cummins (Force)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Looking at Australia's squad their potential backline could be absolutely sick.

Pretty serious mark of their backs depth that backlines of these quality could be chosen separately

Genia
    Cooper
    Tomane
    Toomua
    Kuridrani
    Mitchell
    O'Connor

White
    Foley
    Speight
    Giteau
    AAC
    Cummins
    Folau

and that's still leaving out the likes of Phipps, Leliafano, Beale, Horne, Kerevi etc and a few others I'm sure I've forgotten - in any case there's no chance their back subs will want for quality either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Nick Cummins got in... Well that's an utter joke. No matter how many funny post match interviews he provides he's been rubbish this year for the Force.

James O'Connor has been very poor too but nit as bad as Cummins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'd hope for Australia's sake that all those back line players bar Genia are there to make up numbers. Cooper has made little impact, Kerevi has been alright but there are better options, while Hunt, JOC and Cummins have been plain bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

The Italian players are apparently not happy with the proposed performance bonuses that they are being offered
    http://www.the42.ie/italy-world-cup-players-strike-rwc-bonuses-2162790-Jun2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

American training squad has plenty of links to Irish rugby.

Justin Fitzpatrick is forwards coach, John Quill, ex Dolphin RFC Munster A, London Irish academy, London Welsh
    Scott LaValla, currently with Stade Francais had played with Trinity
    Tim Maupin currently plays with Trinity
    AJ MacGinty is son of Blackrock College Principal..

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-news/item/tolkin-selects-world-cup-training-squad
    http://www.the42.ie/ireland-usa-world-cup-squad-exiles-2168031-Jun2015/

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/24/liam-williams-fitness-battle-foot-surgery-wales-world-cup

Foot surgery for Liam Williams, no timeframe on recovery, but he'd be a massive blow to Wales if unavailable.

Manuel Montero has torn an ACL. Big blow to the Argies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement