Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theft of Items from our Baby’s Grave

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What little kids would be in a graveyard though? Other than those accompanied by an adult.

Visiting family graves with their parents. I was in graveyards plenty as a child. And kids from houses nearby might wander through them a bit.

Up Donegal wrote: »
    One would hope that if an adults who are in a graveyard with their children would tell the children to return anything they lifted back to where they got it.
    spurious wrote: »
    That would involve parenting, a skill absent in many people who have children.

If a small child picks up something from a grave and walks away from it, not even far, there’s a good chance they won’t remember which grave they took it from. The toys could be discarded elsewhere in the graveyard. It’s very easy for children to wander in graveyards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Despicable! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A lot of people seem to think that it's children stealing from the grave. Adults have been stealing flowers, lamps, ornaments, potted plants from graves since the dawn of time. An adult who would steal an item such as those wouldn't have any problem taking a child's toy to bring home with them.

I think you are fighting a losing battle OP. Stealing items from graves is a very common occurrence. As much as you want to leave toys at the grave, it might be easier not to.

I don't think setting up a camera is the answer either, anything that can film longterm and be hidden is going to cost money. If by some miracle the hours of film happen to catch someone stealing from the grave, how are you going to identify them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

A lot of people seem to think that it's children stealing from the grave. Adults have been stealing flowers, lamps, ornaments, potted plants from graves since the dawn of time. An adult who would steal an item such as those wouldn't have any problem taking a child's toy to bring home with them.

I think you are fighting a losing battle OP. Stealing items from graves is a very common occurrence. As much as you want to leave toys at the grave, it might be easier not to.

I don't think setting up a camera is the answer either, anything that can film longterm and be hidden is going to cost money. If by some miracle the hours of film happen to catch someone stealing from the grave, how are you going to identify them?

Chances are they'll have a pale skinny face, crooked nose, and a jacket with a hood up.
    Despite the poor image the guards will know who they are but do anything about it. They're not going to get a search warrant and Cctv evidence alone doesn't hold up in court without an eye witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

My sincere condolences for your loss.
    Could you contact a newspaper or radio station and tell them what has happened?

It might shame the thieves to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Could you contact a newspaper or radio station and tell them what has happened?

Op, don't do this. They're called sad face stories because the rags want a sad face photo to go with the article. Daily mail run stories like this the whole time.

No need for your name or child's name to be sensationalised like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

antix80 wrote: »
    Op, don't do this. They're called sad face stories because the rags want a sad face photo to go with the article. Daily mail run stories like this the whole time.

No need for your name or child's name to be sensationalised like this.

The op can make the right decision about this for their family. Whether they decide to go for privacy or to share it is their decision.

Nobody thinks that for sure. It’s just a fairly likely scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Op who does the upkeep of the cemetery fall to?

All childrens graves usually have toys or windspinners etc are there other families who have noticed the same thing?

You could make a complaint to those responsible for the cemetery upkeep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Very sorry for your loss as others have said before. My suggestion is could you set up a place to honor her at home? To me that's where the memories of life and love are. And you can still keep her memory and joys safe if that makes sense. I truly don't mean to cause you more pain by saying this, but she lives in your hearts and in the home you provided her, not in a patch of field with a marker.

Again I am truly sorry for your loss and the addition pain caused by scums. I can only pray the good Lord helps ease your pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

That really is the lowest of the low whoever is the culprit. Sorry for your loss

Advertisement