Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Observation about Ryan Tubridy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I enjoy tubridy. He's a good personality. He really turned the 2fm breakfast show around a few years ago.

That said, I rarely watch tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    He really turned the 2fm breakfast show around a few years ago.

The Full Irish was great. His on-air persona was so much more relaxed back then. Unlike pretty much every other breakfast radio show, it was all very un-forced. A bit self-indulgent, but tonally perfect. He'd be an ideal replacement for Marty Whelan on Lyric FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

One thing I've noticed about him on the radio is the stark contrast between the way he talks to commoners and the big shots. He kind of talks down to the people who ring for the quizzes and that sort of thing.

When the person rings in Ryan will typically say something like "Do we have John on the line?". Then John will "Hi Ryan, how are you?" and so on. Then Ryan will say something like "what are you doing?" or "where are you from?". The caller might then answer "I'm from Kilkenny" and Turbridy will then say "good man"! It makes no sense! Being from Kilkenny does not make him a good man. Could he not at least wait for John to get a question right before he says "good man"

There is a very good reason and he is briefed to do that.

1 It has happened in the past that members of the public are very unpredictable. You ask questions they give answers that are odd or awkward. Keeping it very polite and shallow is a way of controlling that.

2 Big shots are people RTE wants back to interview again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It has happened in the past that members of the public are very unpredictable. You ask questions they give answers that are odd or awkward. Keeping it very polite and shallow is a way of controlling that.

"Do we have John on the line?"

"Hi Ryan, how are you?"

"Good, John, thanks for asking. Where are you from?"

"I won't say where Ryan, I've a terrible fear the Gardaí might track my whereabouts and find all those kids I've tied up in the shed."

"Good man".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Wasn't he allegedly off his head on cocaine on one of those Christmas Toy shows he does?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Wasn't he allegedly off his head on cocaine on one of those Christmas Toy shows he does?
    I find that hard to believe. Never the less, do tell me more!

He's very skinny. I don't think he's ever adequately explained that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Good man

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

He's very unnerving. A human being shouldn't be that pointy. The man has corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ian OB

Autosport wrote: »
    _blaaz wrote: »
    Tbf having a phone in kk is an achievement.....afaik some of the more isolated villages havnt even elctricty there or seen outsiders since last attempt at a census

What's this electricity you talk of???? Being from a rural part of Kilkenny I don't understand what your talking about and as for broadband haven't a notion what that is :D

Broadband is like an elastic band only wider. Hence the name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Richard Dawkins still deserves an apology from Ireland for Tubb's car crash interview

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    He's very skinny. I don't think he's ever adequately explained that.
    There's nothing to explain. If he were fat there'd be nothing to explain. It's just his skeletal structure. And perhaps he doesn't live on take-aways like the rest of people.

It's nothing to do with metabolism, it's just his skeletal structure.

Thats what Calista Flockhart said and maybe it was true. She'd never be a guest on the Late Late tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

There's nothing to explain. If he were fat there'd be nothing to explain. It's just his skeletal structure. And perhaps he doesn't live on take-aways like the rest of people.

He lives on Jelly Beans going by what he says.

I'm not interested in criticizing his appearance (would be more concerned about the ****ness of his shows) but it's pretty obvious he has an immature attitude towards food. Can't cook, doesn't like anything in any way different, plain stuff all the way, loves "sweeties", etc.

He proudly goes on about this attitude as if it makes him endearingly childlike.

I would see it as part of a general attempts to come across as some sort of Willy Wonka character. Weird IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Richard Dawkins still deserves an apology from Ireland for Tubb's car crash interview

Dawkins and most other interesting people he has interviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

He lives on Jelly Beans going by what he says.

I'm not interested in criticizing his appearance (would be more concerned about the ****ness of his shows) but it's pretty obvious he has an immature attitude towards food. Can't cook, doesn't like anything in any way different, plain stuff all the way, loves "sweeties", etc.

He proudly goes on about this attitude as if it makes him endearingly childlike.

I would see it as part of a general attempts to come across as some sort of Willy Wonka character. Weird IMO.

Or maybe trying to be forever young like Michael Jackson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Not forgetting the balls up he made of the interview with Mick McCarthy on the show from London

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

One thing I've noticed about him on the radio is the stark contrast between the way he talks to commoners and the big shots. He kind of talks down to the people who ring for the quizzes and that sort of thing.

Tubridy is always like this. You're really only noticing it now? Worst of all is when he tries to be self-aware and puts on a clear tone of "look how well I'm treating this person even though they're on the dole/a traveller/went to an institute rather than a university". His simplicity is sometimes kind of amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I like him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I seldom watch him, can't stand the man, but I remember him interviewing Paul McGrath one night on the Late Late and he asked him "Are you off the sauce?"

Bell end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

In before ‘lanky steak of piss’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Came out with a bit of nonsense about Joe Schmidt on this morning's show. Seemingly Joe is keen to appear on tomorrow's LLS to "thank the Irish people for their support".

Evidently the Stick Insect is unaware that Joe has just launched an autobiography "Ordinary Joe" that needs plugging for the lucrative Christmas gift market - especially after the team's flop in the RWC!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I met him before, he's a very busy guy.
    Always thundering around, his head on the next job rather than settling into what's going on at the moment.
    Likes to rush interviews and get as much out of his limited time as possible.
    Ok next, next,next

He came on the scene young enough and I think he didn't know what's ahead of him, I think if he took time out for a break he might chill out more, he's just all go go go

He's done nothing for me to dislike him, to be honest he seems pleasant enough.

Although I don't watch much TV or listen to his shows much, but I'd say he can't say no..
    As in if he's asked to do something he'll say "absolutely"

Hell burn out eventually meaning his emotional and mental state could peak, nobody can keep going like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

When the person rings in Ryan will typically say something like "Do we have John on the line?". Then John will "Hi Ryan, how are you?" and so on. Then Ryan will say something like "what are you doing?" or "where are you from?". The caller might then answer "I'm from Kilkenny" and Turbridy will then say "good man"! It makes no sense! Being from Kilkenny does not make him a good man. Could he not at least wait for John to get a question right before he says "good man"

Today a drop of rain viciously splashed on my brand new barbour jacket. I take this attack personally and I am very offended.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Today a drop of rain viciously splashed on my brand new barbour jacket.
    And there's your mistake you dreadful nouveau oik. A Barbour should be at least twenty years old, with one or two clumsily let in patches, covered in horse sweat, Land Rover grease, fish slime and gun dog hair, with a pack of rancid mints in one pocket and a chewed up dog toy in another. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And there's your mistake you dreadful nouveau oik. A Barbour should be at least twenty years old, with one or two clumsily let in patches, covered in horse sweat, Land Rover grease, fish slime and gun dog hair, with a pack of rancid mints in one pocket and a chewed up dog toy in another. :D

I've one of those, it's a sign of affluence and high profileism lol

I remember being out with a few horsey friend's, and we were behaving like Quint in Jaws 1 showing off his scar's from shark's....

I tore my scrotum where I got this mud stain, another guy had a hole from being gored by a bull, another had a custom made hoove print on his chest.
    Another had a tare from unhooking a pike and the treble hook got him.

Old ****ty worn out barbor jackets are the way to go.

A new shiny Barbour jacket screams of middle class sanctimonious bell end's trying to be toffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I'm busy working on all of the above - renting a dog this weekend to help break the jacket in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I think Tubbs is grand. Seems like a nice fella. Wouldn’t be the smartest knife in the block, but he has a pleasant way about him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nthclare wrote: »
    Another had a tare from unhooking a pike and the treble hook got him.
    A pike Sir? A course fish?!

monocle.png

He should have done the decent thing and bled out from the wound. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

monocle.png

He's a trout fisherman, so he hit the bastard on the head and dispatched him accordingly...

Or I could say, he smaked em in the Ead and ****ed him in the bushes...

Same thing really :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Can't bare him. Horrible interviewer. Never engages with people, sticks rigidly to a list of pre prepared questions, often awkward with anyone who has a modicum of charisma. Clearly prefers to talk to vapid Z listers, rather than anyone of substance. Shys away from serious topics that require any grey matter but visibly orgasms when talking to some unfortunate person about some awful tragedy that befell them.
    His 'talents' should be earning him about half Derek Mooney's salary and about half Derek Mooney's level of media presence. And if he ever dared to leave the nest at RTE (which he never will) he would be found out and dropped before he put his coat on the hanger.

Other than that, a decent fella though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Thia has to be the 5th worst thread on boards.....ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Agricola wrote: »
    Can't bare him. Horrible interviewer. Never engages with people, sticks rigidly to a list of pre prepared questions, often awkward with anyone who has a modicum of charisma. Clearly prefers to talk to vapid Z listers, rather than anyone of substance. Shys away from serious topics that require any grey matter but visibly orgasms when talking to some unfortunate person about some awful tragedy that befell them.
    His 'talents' should be earning him about half Derek Mooney's salary and about half Derek Mooney's level of media presence. And if he ever dared to leave the nest at RTE (which he never will) he would be found out and dropped before he put his coat on the hanger.

Other than that, a decent fella though.

Ha, that’s for sure. Like he’s miffed that they have a magnetism that he doesn’t.

I watched the interview that earned him the nickname ‘DLB’. Painful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Tubridy not the worst by any means, but has a few real quirks.
    If someone is visiting Ireland he gets them to say they really like Ireland. Then sometimes he asks will they move here, which they obviously won't, even though they are too polite to say something like 'of course not, my home, family and friends aren't here and I know no one living in Ireland really."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

This was in Irish newspaper today

"Ms Forbes has repeatedly criticised the Government for not implementing changes to the licence fee in a timely fashion.

When asked if he thought the Government cared about the fate of RTÉ, Tubridy responded: “Some governments care more about RTÉ than others. It is up to others to decide how they are treating us. I don’t know.”

What does that mean? Other Governments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I think Tubbs is grand. Seems like a nice fella. Wouldn’t be the smartest knife in the block, but he has a pleasant way about him.

I'm sure he's a grand fella to sit down and have a latte with, but probably a little condescending. He seems quite insecure to me, eager not to offend anyone but at the same time does it through social awkwardness and his own bias about certain stuff etc. I don't think he knows that much about anything really, maybe a bit about pop culture and current affairs but his views would be quite narrow. Tries to pass himself off as an intellectual and a man of the world but is quite unremarkable really. But other than that, a nice fella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

monocle.png

Oh how we guffawed! the very notion that a physician would attend at a pike incident....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This was in Irish newspaper today

"Ms Forbes has repeatedly criticised the Government for not implementing changes to the licence fee in a timely fashion.

When asked if he thought the Government cared about the fate of RTÉ, Tubridy responded: “Some governments care more about RTÉ than others. It is up to others to decide how they are treating us. I don’t know.”

What does that mean? Other Governments?

Read as Fianna Fail governments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'm sure he's a grand fella to sit down and have a latte with, but probably a little condescending. He seems quite insecure to me, eager not to offend anyone but at the same time does it through social awkwardness and his own bias about certain stuff etc. I don't think he knows that much about anything really, maybe a bit about pop culture and current affairs but his views would be quite narrow. Tries to pass himself off as an intellectual and a man of the world but is quite unremarkable really. But other than that, a nice fella :)

His main interests seem to be the Beatles, James Bond, the rat pack, classic cars, very bland yellow pack silly rubbish

He goes on and on about books and reading but if you listen to him you’ll realise it’s 99% bullsh1t and bluster. I doubt he ever reads the books he discusses.

He does that to portray himself as intellectual but it’s simple, cheap filler.

Similar to how he goes on and on and on about the toy show.

I personally think he puts up a huge pretence to get away with daylight robbery of his salary

The real tubridy - far more cynical

The main number 1 thing he is into is

Have a non challenging work life and make huge obscene amounts of money doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The Full Irish was great. His on-air persona was so much more relaxed back then. Unlike pretty much every other breakfast radio show, it was all very un-forced. A bit self-indulgent, but tonally perfect. He'd be an ideal replacement for Marty Whelan on Lyric FM.

This is a myth

The full Irish was NOT great

It was passable but today fm still had the better show.

This craic that tubridy has some golden era is not backed up when you do some Basic research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

He's a kiss ass.

Who in reality doesn't give two ****s about people famous or not. He just fakes it up to big shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I can't stand him...(I'm being very very restrained here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Is calling him a lanky streak of piss acceptable? If not, I won’t be the one to call him a lanky streak of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭tamara25

No matter who tubs has interviewed on radio/tv there all lovely people. It’s like he’s afraid to criticise anyone Incase it goes against him in some way later on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Very poor interviewer. Has his list of questions and sticks to the script. Talks far too much about death on The Late Late. Slightly concerning. Misses golden opportunities to probe deeper with interviewees.

Actually passed by him yesterday on Pembroke street on my lunch break. Had the look of a man under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

His political bias in certain interviews is totally unprofessional. Licks the arse of Brian Cowan and Hilary Clinton (even flew a team to NY to interview her).
    And his spite for Enda Kenny, Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams was so obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

I found his interview with the foley family chilling, his behaviour was very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

KevRossi wrote: »
    His political bias in certain interviews is totally unprofessional. Licks the arse of Brian Cowan and Hilary Clinton (even flew a team to NY to interview her).
    And his spite for Enda Kenny, Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams was so obvious.

Add Peter Casey to that list.

His main interests seem to be the Beatles, James Bond, the rat pack, classic cars, very bland yellow pack silly rubbish

He goes on and on about books and reading but if you listen to him you’ll realise it’s 99% bullsh1t and bluster. I doubt he ever reads the books he discusses.

He does that to portray himself as intellectual but it’s simple, cheap filler.

Similar to how he goes on and on and on about the toy show.

I personally think he puts up a huge pretence to get away with daylight robbery of his salary

The real tubridy - far more cynical

The main number 1 thing he is into is

Have a non challenging work life and make huge obscene amounts of money doing it.

I don't know the guy on a personal level so I don't know if he is that cynical about the money aspect of things. I think he is quite a limited presenter but does enough to get by and knows what he needs to do to get the job done. He is quite professional from that standpoint, he is very scripted and couldn't fly by the seat of his pants and change gears in the way Gay Byrne was able to, without making an arse of himself.

He's annoying without being intolerable, good enough to get on RTE

• Advertisement
Advertisement