Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any Irish persons left in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The OP is here as he got headhunted by a multinational due to him speaking four languages. Even if we didnt have free movement of EU citizens, he would have no problem getting a visa. A lot of unskilled EU citizens here would not qualify.

Yes. I'm aware he was headhunted.

However, our laws allows unskilled people to come here (although every single cv I've come across from an Eastern European person includes plenty of work experience and a college degree, so they're hardly unskilled, even if they take up unskilled work here).

But OP isn't happy about that.

So I'm asking why should he be entitled to be here working, and not them. He's demonstrably NOT fluent in English, which is pretty much the only advantage he'd have had over many other foreign nationals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Asmooh wrote: »
    Do that at home, not in a store.
    That was the complete point in the first place.

Do you want them to only speak their language in their homes? Can they use it anywhere in public?

Are accepting this - or perhaps "people are more accepting of this".

It is because we aren't xenophobes. Ireland functions extremely well with the mixture of languages because you know will ALWAYS get what you need in English no matter what language the shop assistant speaks as their mother tongue.

This is my second stint as an immigrant, 8 years in Spain where I became fluent in two of their daily languages. It is hard living life surrounded by a language that is not your own and sometimes it is was just a relief to speak english to someone for a few minutes, be it in an Irish bar when I went to watch rugby or help someone on the street.
    Sorry my mistake, indeed accepting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The OP is here as he got headhunted by a multinational due to him speaking four languages. Even if we didnt have free movement of EU citizens, he would have no problem getting a visa. A lot of unskilled EU citizens here would not qualify.

Perhaps he should approach his employer and ask if they have funding available under some kind of social responsibility scheme to help promote a not for profit organisation with the goal of excluding immigrants of certain nationalities from employment in the service industry. Multinationals are big into social responsibility.

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you want them to only speak their language in their homes? Can they use it anywhere in public?

Gosh... why do I even keep explaining myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I'd love to see a world where no other language is used except English, but que sera sera.

Made me laugh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

I'm still here.

Just hold on till I get a chair to stand on.......OK.....on the chair waving my hand in the air.....can new you see me??????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Because your English is poor

You started out saying that only English should ever be spoken in shops and then later said other languages at home.

Does this only apply to shops, or any public place? What about restaurants, hospitals etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

*keep trying to explain myself.

you could also say

"Why do I bother trying to explain myself"

I am simply performing a public service here, helping you gain fluency in English, which is something that you clearly demand of other foreigners.

Because we really dont understand you!!

As a country of immigrants we have been pretty good at accepting people from other nationalities. I'm not saying there's no racists in Ireland but we're not that bad compared to some places.

This is what a multicultural country sounds like, although I've never heard anyone call Leixlip multicultural.

Whatever happens OP, dont go to London. You'd hate it!!

Because your English is poor

You started out saying that only English should ever be spoken in shops and then later said other languages at home.

Does this only apply to shops, or any public place? What about restaurants, hospitals etc?

Any public place.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Because we really dont understand you!!

As a country of immigrants we have been pretty good at accepting people from other nationalities. I'm not saying there's no racists in Ireland but we're not that bad compared to some places.

This is what a multicultural country sounds like, although I've never heard anyone call Leixlip multicultural.

Whatever happens OP, dont go to London. You'd hate it!!

Can you imagine him in the likes of Stratford?

Any public place.

That is absolute MADNESS!!!

Any public place.

Hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

aunt aggie wrote: »
    As a country of immigrants

No, no we are not. You may be mistaking us for America, Canada or Australia. The vast majority(83%) of us are native to this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Any public place.

So you think English should be the ONLY language spoken outside of the home anywhere in Ireland?

That's our tourism industry fooked so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That's only non Eu nationals though isn't it?

I think it used to apply to everyone, but E.U. rules changed things. But it is still in the psyche of the country and whilst now not a legal requirement for some, it's still expected.

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    So you think English should be the ONLY language spoken outside of the home anywhere in Ireland?

Remember, I said for the people that work in those places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Any public place.

I'm not sure if you work in Leixlip as well as live there but I'm guessing that if you do, that they don't allow the general public access the facility, so you'd be fine with anyone using any language they choose beyond the front desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SSLguru

I couldn't agree more with you OP it's gone beyond a joke at this stage , this no Borders policy will seriously come back to bite us down the road, civil unrest is already building at a huge rate in towns across Dublin like balbriggan ,blanchardsotwn , Ongar and tyyrellstown etc all represent multi cultural hell holes and only seem to get worse as the days go by.

It is past the point of ignorance if you work in an English speaking country in a customer services role and speak a totally different language with your colleague if front of the customers , whoever commits this should be sacked on the spot.

Unfortunately OP alot of the people here are blind and can't see that the majority of those immigrants are leeches that refuse to integrate and are bleeding this country and it's resources dry.

Over 55% of the people on the social housing waiting list in North Dublin is a foreign national , talk about sponging to the extreme.

If you have a trade/ skill that this country needs , are willing to work , pay tax and integrate you are more than welcome to come to Ireland

We have enough spongers of our own we don't need to be the foster parents for the lazy parasites of Europe.

I agree OP it is very rude for them to talk like that in front of customers , they should be sacked on the spot.

A border policy similar to OZ/ Canada is needed here ASAP we can't continue importing low skilled people who refuse to integrate and waste or limited resources

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

This thread certainly goes a long way towards explaing the popularity Geert Wilders in the Netherlands.

You need to show a proficiency in Dutch to get a lick of welfare. Proper order too. You don't learn Dutch, you don't get the gibs.

Ireland should do similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I think I am not quite sure that the OP is saying that while in a place of employment especially in dealing with the general public that the workers/employees should refrain from speaking there native language to each other in front of said public, ?

• Advertisement

Interesting first post SSLguru

SSLguru wrote: »

Over 55% of the people on the social housing waiting list in North Dublin is a foreign national , talk about sponging to the extreme.

A border policy similar to OZ/ Canada is needed here ASAP we can't continue importing low skilled people who refuse to integrate and waste or limited resources

Have you a link to official data from Fungal county council on the breakdown you quote?

On the second point are you aware we are in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

How did the people of Ireland ever accepted this situation?

Because UKIP doesn't exist here probably, for good reason.

I will explain why I think everyone should speak English, a while ago I was going to a restaurant (take-out) and the people spoke English, no problem.

So one of the guys asked me where I was from, so I said Holland.
    He started directly about drugs, I told him that I don't use drugs.. after that I heard him saying yeah right.. xtc.
    So I was pissed off and told him wtf his problem was, then the start speaking Polish to eachother clearly about me!

And that is why I think in public places the workers should speak English even if they know the same language.

You need to show a proficiency in Dutch to get a lick of welfare. Proper order too. You don't learn Dutch, you don't get the gibs.

Ireland should do similar.

We have a habitual residency clause. You can't just hop off a plane and go get the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Remember, I said for the people that work in those places.

Why, though? In what way does it have any impact on you if people who are not talking to you are speaking a different language? Are you afraid they are talking about you?

Edit: you answered as I was typing. So you don't like people talking about you. Would you prefer they waited until you left and then talked about you in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I couldn't agree more with you OP it's gone beyond a joke at this stage , this no Borders policy will seriously come back to bite us down the road, civil unrest is already building at a huge rate in towns across Dublin like balbriggan ,blanchardsotwn , Ongar and tyyrellstown etc all represent multi cultural hell holes and only seem to get worse as the days go by.

It is past the point of ignorance if you work in an English speaking country in a customer services role and speak a totally different language with your colleague if front of the customers , whoever commits this should be sacked on the spot.

Unfortunately OP alot of the people here are blind and can't see that the majority of those immigrants are leeches that refuse to integrate and are bleeding this country and it's resources dry.

If you have a trade/ skill that this country needs , are willing to work , pay tax and integrate you are more than welcome to come to Ireland

We have enough spongers of our own we don't need to be the foster parents for the lazy parasites of Europe.

I agree OP it is very rude for them to talk like that in front of customers , they should be sacked on the spot.

Great first post, did you have to rereg to post this tripe?

Foreign workers employed by arts and craft chain Hobbycraft have been told to speak English or face the sack.
    Staff at the supplier's distribution warehouse in Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, were hauled in for a meeting this week after difficulties arose with different nationalities conversing only in their native tongue.
    Staff were told the firm’s policy was they should only use English during work hours and, if caught doing otherwise, they could be disciplined.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559364/Foreign-workers-banned-speaking-language-told-speak-English-face-sack.html#ixzz3d3bWZ4KS
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It has happened already.

bee06 wrote: »
    Why, though? In what way does it have any impact on you if people who are not talking to you are speaking a different language? Are you afraid they are talking about you?

Yeah he's just posted that he thinks that has happened to him in the past

We have a habitual residency clause. You can't just hop off a plane and go get the dole.

Don't give a bollix.

We have 62,652 EU citizens on JA. Which is a means tested non contributory payment.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/eu-citizens-enjoy-very-generous-welfare-here-247744.html

Should be cut off after six months, in line with EU directives, or if they cannot speak English or Irish.

I will explain why I think everyone should speak English, a while ago I was going to a restaurant (take-out) and the people spoke English, no problem.

He started directly about drugs, I told him that I don't use drugs.. after that I heard him saying yeah right.. xtc.
    So I was pissed off and told him wtf his problem was, then the start speaking Polish to eachother clearly about me!

And that is why I think in public places the workers should speak English even if they know the same language.

That's the reason ?? Because you thought they were talking about you:-)
    Your a silly little moo ain't ya.

No they probably didnt give a fock about you..

And you've just admitted to complaining about use of European languages in Ireland because one guy had negative stereotypes about the Dutch. Try been Irish anywhere in the world. The fact that most of the world treat us as idiotic alcoholic louts doesn't turn us into racists.

Don't give a bollix.

We have 62,652 EU citizens on JA. Which is a means tested non contributory payment.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/eu-citizens-enjoy-very-generous-welfare-here-247744.html

Should be cut off after six months, in line with EU directives, or if they cannot speak English or Irish.

Irish? Seriously? I love Irish and speak it frequently, but it's hardly bloody useful.

If they adhere to the habitual residency, they will more than likely have passable English by the time they're eligible for unemployment benefits.

And this has approximately zero to do with OP's agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SSLguru

If you want to live in Ireland , you should possess a skill that is required, work, pay tax and integrate

If not you're not wanted and shouldn't be allowed step foot in this country

We have enough spongers of our own , we can't cater for the lazy parasites of Europe.

Have you a link to official data from Fungal county council on the breakdown you quote?

On the second point are you aware we are in the EU?

Wasn't aware that there were 70 countries in the EU.
    Fine Gael Councillor Kieran Dennison has raised questions about Ireland's social housing policy after it was revealed that Fingal County Council were housing up to 70 different nationalities, many from outside the EU. Cllr. Dennison said: 'It was only when I was elected to the council that I realised we were housing people from all over the world. 'I can understand our obligation to provide for EU citizens who have been working here but I do question why we are providing social housing for the rest of the world.'

The councillor said that this year Fingal will spend €40m maintaining its 4,465 social housing units and administering a growing waiting list that now stand at 8,572. More than half those on the list are from outside Ireland with non-eu nationals accounting for 26 per cent of the total.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/provision-of-social-housing-for-noneu-nationals-queried-27814910.html

• Advertisement

Wow are the non eu nationals all people with asylum?

If you want to live in Ireland , you should possess a skill that is required, work, pay tax and integrate

If not you're not wanted and shouldn't be allowed step foot in this country

We have enough spongers of our own , we can't cater for the lazy parasites of Europe.

We think the same in Holland, a lot of people just move to a country to get social benefits and have nothing to offer.

If you want to move to Sweden example you need:

1. Proof of a job
    2. Have minimal 10.000 euros at the bank for the first year

Except.. if you are from any other country outside the EU.. for some reason they give "those" people everything, even money.. have nothing to offer and after 25 years they still don't speak the language.

Same problem in many western-eu countries (the inner 6 as example).

Wow are the non eu nationals all people with asylum?

There are circa 30k non Irish on the housing register. Around 800 are refugees.

Can download all the relevant data here - http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/HousingStatistics/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

cronin_j wrote: »
    Have you seen their Wimmins?

They're mostly trashy in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

We think the same in Holland, a lot of people just move to a country to get social benefits and have nothing to offer.

1. Proof of a job
    2. Have minimal 10.000 euros at the bank for the first year

Except.. if you are from any other country outside the EU.. for some reason they give "those" people everything, even money.. have nothing to offer and after 25 years they still don't speak the language.

Same problem in many western-eu countries (the inner 6 as example).

A tenner in the bank?

That's a bit steep! :pac:

A tenner in the bank?

That's a bit steep! :pac:

The support requirement is at present a minimum of SEK 8,010 per month

You must be able to support yourself
    The support requirement is at present a minimum of SEK 8,010 per month.

If you intend to study for one year or more you must show that you can support yourself for 10 months per year. See fact box below. If you can prove, for example, that you have free accommodation and/or food, this monthly figure can drop. The monthly amount drops by SEK 1,557.50 per month for free food and by SEK 1,557.50 per month for free accommodation.

You must show that you have funds for the whole planned study period already the first time you apply for a residence permit. You must show that you have your support secured by means of verification of your own bank assets, a scholarship or similar means of support, such as a study grant from your home country.
    Your own bank assets are money in an account that belongs to you and from which only you and, if any, your spouse can withdraw money. It cannot be considered as your own assets if you share the account with, for example, your parents or a relative. Nor does the Migration Agency accept that a sponsor (such as a relative or a company) covers your support while you are in Sweden, unless the funds are deposited into your own account.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Studying-in-Sweden/Universities-and-university-college.html

1. Proof of a job
    2. Have minimal 10.000 euros at the bank for the first year.

This isn't true. Not even for non EU citizens. As an EU citizen you must either be working, studying, wholly self sufficient or with a family member that is. For non EU citizens the job must be advertised to Swedish and EU citizens on EURES portal for ten working days, pay more than SEK 13k per month and the terms of employment offered must be at least on the same level as Swedish collective agreements or customary in the occupation or industry.

The biggest stumbling block for those wishing to move to Sweden is the lingo, not the immigration policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

We laugh as you used the non english way of writing the currency needed

I think you meant €10,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

They're mostly trashy in fairness.

So you haven't seen them then.
    This thread is just ludicrous and surprised its still going.
    I'm.married to a polish woman and believe you me she will only speak English in Ireland.
    Even if the person in the shop is polish she will speak English so to sum up all immigrants based on one fcuking experience must be the most simple minded way of thinking I've come across in a long while.
    How did you even know they were poles? You do know Slovakian and Czech are quite similar to polish?
    Pisstake of a thread

• Advertisement

That is for non EU citizens wishing to study in Sweden. Ya silly sausage.

Ireland has similar financial requirements in place(though rarely enforced). Students are meant to have €7k in their bank account for each year of their studies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement