Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At about 4.30 pm Europe will land a lump of metal on a lump of rock and ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pfft...it would have been more impressive if the comet had landed on Philae.
    In a sense it did. They both have gravitational attraction to each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Whats the big fuss about?

Didn't Bruce Willis land on a comet years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

rizzodun wrote: »
    Ahh you got me, no, not that I know, it did Romanian though??

Cos millions of Romanians speak Romanian maybe? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

'Hollywood is good, Rosetta is better' quips one speaker...

This guy approves highly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I never understand how some people can be so dismissive about stuff like this, I mean everyone is constantly making jokes about Aliens and stuff so the assumption is they don't believe they exist which means that we, as a species, will likely be the only ones who ever have or ever will (in the 900 odd billion years our universe will exist) explore outside our planet. Cats don't do it, dogs don't do it, monkeys don't do it. For us as a species to have achieved satellites alone is amazing, to land on the moon was totally against the odd and now they landed a probe on a comet that was traveling through space at about 400mph, thats like someone shooting a bullet at you and you being able to pick it out of the air before it hits you using only a safety pin, how is that not amazing? so many achievements and yet so much apathy, it's a sad fact in our society that if the title read "At about 4.30 pm some fat guy will take a full force kick in the nuts and post it on youtube" everyone would be watching youtube at 4.30pm yet a probe landing on a comet a few million miles into deep space is dismissed as "boring"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Chunners wrote: »
    I never understand how some people can be so dismissive about stuff like this,
    . . .
    thats like someone shooting a bullet at you and you being able to pick it out of the air before it hits you using only a safety pin, how is that not amazing?

+1 More sensible posts like this please
    Science is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

which means that we, as a species, are the only ones who ever have or ever will (in the 900 odd billion years our universe will exist) explore outside our planet. Cats don't do it, dogs don't do it, monkeys don't do it.
    Dogs got to space before humans, it's just no one has been able to throw a stick that high since.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Cats don't do it, dogs don't do it, monkeys don't do it.

Dog's got personality though. Personality goes a long way.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Dogs got to space before humans, it's just no one has been able to throw a stick that high since.

Yup

Monkeys went too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I'd love to see a program showing this project from conception to landing

• Advertisement

Almost feel like this is now turning into a Cat hate thread by their omission.
    Typical after hours with your backhanded cat hate :pac:

Cormac... wrote: »

Oh put your claws away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I do find the idea that life on earth possibly began because of comets fascinating. Not that I understand how something that explodes on impact be able to deliver anything. Hopefully some answers can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

iDave wrote: »
    Presume your a Drumcondra/Santry resident?

Err...no, but my own locals unfortunately do not have space travel linked names which would allow me to make cheap pub-based pun-jokes at the expense of what is, by any standards, a magnificent scientific and technical feat (cue Ode to Joy swelling up in the background)

iDave wrote: »
    I do find the idea that life on earth possibly began because of comets fascinating. Not that I understand how something that explodes on impact be able to deliver anything. Hopefully some answers can be found.
    It might explode in the atmosphere throwing out chunks of ice all over a vast area. I'd guess as they described it as a dirty snowball that it would be something like that asteroid that exploded over Russia. It was loosely packed so exploded mid air.

Cormac... wrote: »

Not at all sure I love cats, I have two, one of them farts a lot though but not enough to reach escape velocity, I know that because one day I experimented with a lighter, he had a steady flame and all but unfortunately it just wasn't strong enough to carry the payload

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I never understand how some people can be so dismissive about stuff like this, I mean everyone is constantly making jokes about Aliens and stuff so the assumption is they don't believe they exist which means that we, as a species, will likely be the only ones who ever have or ever will (in the 900 odd billion years our universe will exist) explore outside our planet. Cats don't do it, dogs don't do it, monkeys don't do it. For us as a species to have achieved satellites alone is amazing, to land on the moon was totally against the odd and now they landed a probe on a comet that was traveling through space at about 400mph, thats like someone shooting a bullet at you and you being able to pick it out of the air before it hits you using only a safety pin, how is that not amazing? so many achievements and yet so much apathy, it's a sad fact in our society that if the title read "At about 4.30 pm some fat guy will take a full force kick in the nuts and post it on youtube" everyone would be watching youtube at 4.30pm yet a probe landing on a comet a few million miles into deep space is dismissed as "boring"
    Try 134,000 kph actually :cool:

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Rosetta/Frequently_asked_questions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I watched it here: http://new.livestream.com/esa/cometlanding

A few things to note.
    Guys in suits hug each other.
    Science guys feel awkward doing that.
    Head? Science guy was wearing a hoodie! In your face After Hours hoodie haters :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have they found the Irish Pub yet??

tricky D wrote: »
    Have they found the Irish Pub yet??

I LOL'd :pac:

• Advertisement

Actually I was erring on the side of safety because I didn't want loads of people saying "wheres your source?" type crap but 134,000 kph makes it even more amazing, like imagine the maths involved to land on something traveling at that speed, that means that every 7 hours it travels 1 million kilometers, in an Earth month it would travel 13782 million kilometers, thats 13 billion kilometers :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

My doctor was on about putting a probe in Uranus.......

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bruscar

Interestingly the Philae Lander twitter account tweeted

https://twitter.com/Philae2014/status/532564514051735552

In a number of European languages, except Irish of course

Rosetta has a bit of Irish though:
    https://twitter.com/ESA_Rosetta/status/496955111961542656

like imagine the maths involved to land on something traveling at that speed

Technically the maths to land something on something else going 5mp is the same as the maths involved here..... there just more of it :D

That's me being that guy
    I couldn't resist

My doctor was on about putting a probe in Uranus.......

Fry: Did you build the Smelloscope?
    Professor Hubert Farnsworth: No, I remembered that I'd built one last year. Go ahead, try it. You'll find that every heavenly body has its own particular scent. Here, I'll point it at Jupiter.
    Fry: Smells like strawberries.
    Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Exactly. And now, Saturn.
    Fry: Pine needles. Oh, man, this is great... hey, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus.
    Leela: I don't get it.
    Professor Hubert Farnsworth: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.
    Fry: Oh. What's it called now?
    Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Urrectum. Here, let me locate it for you.

ScumLord wrote: »

Disney dogs don't count, but I suppose they also all go to heaven so in a way you inadvertently proved your point :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Hurrah for science, woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

how long before the US decides that the comet needs "special advisors" to advance its democracy and protect its democratic freedom?

Disney dogs don't count, but I suppose they also all go to heaven so in a way you inadvertently proved your point :p
    The first dog in space was Russian, nothing disney about Russian dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pluto is also a planet...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement