Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless man dies in Nenagh

• 12-06-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

The Garda Ombudsman is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a homeless man in Nenagh

The man in his early 60's and originally from Louth was found slumped on a bench on Kenyon Street at around 7.30 yesterday evening.

Emergency services were called but he was pronounced dead a short time later and his body taken to Limerick University Hospital for a post-mortem.

Gardaí have ruled out foul play and the man's family have been contacted.

He had been living in Nenagh for several weeks with people describing him as a gentle giant and local business people had been providing him with food.

In a statment this evening GSOC said they were contacted as a routine procedure as officers in Tipperary had met the man earlier in the day when they found him lying on the ground Ballygraigue Road, Nenagh and brought him to the Homeless Shelter on Kenyon Street.

GSOC officers travelled to Nenagh earlier today as part of their investigation which must be conducted when there has been death or serious harm to a person and there has been contact with a garda prior to this.

Locals expressed their shock and upset at the man's sudden death while students undergoing exams at the nearby Secondary School said they used to regularly speak with him

http://tippfm.com/news/news_detail/gsco_investigate_death_of_homeless_man_in_nenagh

Deepest sympathies to his family (if the man had any left) and friends. It's becoming almost a weekly occurrence across the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

That's so sad. To end his life at his age like that. If students spoke with him etc he must have been friendly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

And here we are almost begging travellers to move into 16 houses at a cost of €5M.

What a ****ed up world we live in.

I wonder what reasons prevented him from presenting himself to homeless services there it was reported he didn't anyway. I assume that's correct. Perhaps he was afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

That's so sad. To end his life at his age like that. If students spoke with him etc he must have been friendly enough.

Where did it say he committed suicide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

locals liked him according to radio reports

• Advertisement

Nib wrote: »
    And here we are almost begging travellers to move into 16 house at a cost of €5M.

That sly dig will be seen for what it is.

That sly dig will be seen for what it is.

Nothing sly about it. Some people are dying on the street, and others are turning their noses up at free houses. It's a disgrace.

Where did it say he committed suicide?

I didn't mean he ended his own life. I meant his life ended like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Nice enough fellow, no harm in him.

I bought him a burger & chips in Mama's only a couple of weeks ago when I was half cut & sat chatting with him.

RIP

He's the only homeless man I've ever seen in Nenagh.
    I wonder what reasons prevented him from presenting himself to homeless services there it was reported he didn't anyway. I assume that's correct. Perhaps he was afraid.
    In small provincial towns, homeless people get diverted to B&Bs as opposed to hostels, so there is nothing to be afraid of. Anyway, we probably shouldn't speculate right now.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think homelessness is a much deeper issue than merely providing a roof. There are people who choose not to accept help for pride reasons which is completely understandable and natural. There are substance abuse issues which may not be tolerated in certain hostels as well. Also they could be, and some are, bloody dangerous places....etc, etc

I think there is a whole web of issues and you can't really say he died because he couldn't actually get a roof over his head. I know absolutely nothing about this man's circumstances though.

Nothing sly about it. Some people are dying on the street, and others are turning their noses up at free houses. It's a disgrace.

You are being sly, bringing in your own agenda work away I will pay no heed.

This is not an opportunity to bash travelers. That merely alleviates our own responsibility. The wider problem of homelessness is more complicated than 'Lets bash travelers'.

In fact the very people who think like that often discriminate against the homeless too.

"It is understood businesses in the town had been providing him with food.

The Garda Ombudsman is involved as officers had earlier given him a lift into Nenagh."

I think at least some people were showing kindness is a comfort. It must have been sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Alan Kelly's constituency.

In small provincial towns, homeless people get diverted to B&Bs as opposed to hostels, so there is nothing to be afraid of. Anyway, we probably shouldn't speculate right now.

RIP

True there is sparse information.

I wonder did the guards notice anything about his physical condition?

locals liked him according to radio reports

I had noticed that too. Not on radio but through the newspaper reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is not an opportunity to bash travelers.

Sorry but 16 houses they refuse to take residency in unless they get a spot for their feckin horses!?

Priorities? What are we doing here?

This is the perfect and right opportunity actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Nib wrote: »
    And here we are almost begging travellers to move into 16 houses at a cost of €5M.

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Going on in cork at the moment.

Look love, someone else referenced this to the traveller issue. I just took exception to you saying it was a sly dig, when it was very much up-front.

Money ear marked for building traveller homes should be diverted to the homeless until such time as they decide to move into them.

• Advertisement

Money ear marked for building traveller homes should be diverted to the homeless until such time as they decide to move into them.
    Ya...Until people start frothing at the mouth at what layabouts, criminals and spongers the homeless are.

There is effectively a queue of distressed people in need of social assistance, and the genius of conservatives is to pick 'victims' off the benefits queue, one by one - first travellers, then people with addictions, then the unemployed, then single mothers, then the elderly, until presto! these hungry greedyguts will themselves thrust forward, & suckle voraciously at the great teat of state.

Look love, someone else referenced this to the traveller issue. I just took exception to you saying it was a sly dig, when it was very much up-front.

I am not your love, frosty.

If you feel that way there was an appropriate thread until it was locked because people could not make their opinions heard without pouring out pure hatred for travelers. It might be better to separate the subjects and give this sad case it's hearing without that.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Ya...Until people start frothing at the mouth at what layabouts, criminals and spongers the homeless are.

There is effectively a queue of distressed people in need of social assistance, and the genius of conservatives is to pick 'victims' off the benefits queue, one by one - first travellers, then people with addictions, then the unemployed, then single mothers, then the elderly, until presto! these hungry greedyguts will themselves thrust forward, & suckle voraciously at the great teat of state.

Why must this descend into "right wingers" wanting to drink the blood of the vulnerable once travellers are criticized ?

Someone simply contrasted our homeless issue with the money wasted on self entitled travellers who can't seem to wrap they're head around the notion of beggars can't be choosers. Agenda driven or not, thats an ugly truth considering the unnecessary death of this man.

Why must this descend into "right wingers" wanting to drink the blood of the vulnerable once travellers are criticized ?

Someone simply contrasted our homeless issue with the money wasted on self entitled travellers
    Because as soon as you refer to homeless people vulnerable in another thread, you will have those same people turning around and dismissing them as miscreants and "junkies". Any time I've discussed homelessness on here, I've encountered that old rabble about good-for-nothing junkies.

The only "ugly truth", to borrow your term, is that society is full of selfishness, or psychological egoism. Ultimately, human beings are a selfish species who fight for resources, just like every other species.

When people are most upfront about their opinions (e.g. in near-anonymity, behind a keyboard) they don't conceal their disdain for the sight of someone else's nose beside them in the trough.

That old downtrodden heroes in the 'squeezed middle' will happily tread over every other pig in the sludge to fight for an extra gulp of swill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

That old downtrodden heroes in the 'squeezed middle' will happily tread over every other pig in the sludge to fight for an extra gulp of swill.
    Nice analogy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Because as soon as you refer to homeless people vulnerable in another thread, you will have those same people turning around and dismissing them as miscreants and "junkies". Any time I've discussed homelessness on here, I've encountered that old rabble about good-for-nothing junkies.

The only "ugly truth", to borrow your term, is that society is full of selfishness, or psychological egoism. Ultimately, human beings are a selfish species who fight for resources, just like every other species.

When people are most upfront about their opinions (e.g. in near-anonymity, behind a keyboard) they don't conceal their disdain for the sight of someone else's nose beside them in the trough.

I accept that some people are complete hypocrites in that regard, but when you consider the story of the €5 million traveller accommodation in Cork being snubbed by the benefactors, I can't help but look at this fella's final moments and think were concerning ourselves with the wrong "vulnerables" in this case.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

RIP

Perhaps he was ashamed or felt he was a burden, the poor soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I wonder did the guards notice anything about his physical condition?

You posted earlier in thread concerning what you suggested were "Sly digs"on that part of other posters.

Could you perhaps elaborate on your own point in relation to the Gardai here ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The "agenda" is surely well established at this point. Even referring to the presence of an "agenda" obliges you to refer to it...paying it no heed is surely the response you find most objectionable in others ?
    This is not an opportunity to bash travelers. That merely alleviates our own responsibility. The wider problem of homelessness is more complicated than 'Lets bash travelers'.

100% correct,the problem is indeed more complicated,however in this thread nobody "bashed travellers",but rather posed a pertinent point relating to how the responses to this complex problem can be sustained,when funding is such a core issue.
    In fact the very people who think like that often discriminate against the homeless too.

"It is understood businesses in the town had been providing him with food.
    The Garda Ombudsman is involved as officers had earlier given him a lift into Nenagh."

I think at least some people were showing kindness is a comfort. It must have been sudden.

There is no suggestion,so far,of anybody in Nenagh mistreating this unfortunate man.

The fact that a Homless Shelter exists at all in Nenagh should be some small comfort to everybody,as well as proof that Society is not always structured around oppressing and mistreating the less fortunate.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Why support homeless and travellers when those who contribute to society are barely scraping by? They are the ones who should be supplemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

The usage of a tragedy to grind one's axe strikes me as, to put it as nicely as I can, incredibly crass. How about for one thread people just not bring their ****ty hobby horses in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Poor fella. Horrible to die alone and like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Why support homeless and travellers when those who contribute to society are barely scraping by? They are the ones who should be supplemented.

Because the homeless are at a high risk of death. The people who are 'barely scraping by' have a good quality of life relative to the majority of the world. We should use our good fortune to help the most vulnerable in our society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Because the homeless are at a high risk of death. The people who are 'barely scraping by' have a good quality of life relative to the majority of the world. We should use our good fortune to help the most vulnerable in our society.

As a society it is far more worthwhile to assist those already in the system rather than prop up a lost cause for a few more years.

That's horrible.. I live in a country where I've never seen a homeless person because society doesn't let it happen.

Wish Ireland was the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

I wonder tho are these people homeless because of economic reasons or do they choose to be homeless, i'm sure it's safe to assume that the majority of them have serious mental illness. Either way it's sad to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Always sad to read something like this.
    Your are left wondering >>>>If only?
    Dreadful times for any family members.

Requiescat in pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

As a society it is far more worthwhile to assist those already in the system rather than prop up a lost cause for a few more years.

Why not both as we already do?

How many people working don't have a roof over their heads? healthcare? food?

What does struggling look like to you? Having to go on holiday to Lanzarote instead of Bali?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

That's horrible.. I live in a country where I've never seen a homeless person because society doesn't let it happen.

Wish Ireland was the same.

What country is that? :confused:

Advertisement