Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairdresser screwup

• 07-09-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

If a hairdresser screws up your hair, should you get your hair done for free by the salon for a while after, or just while they're fixing the mess? Major mess up, not just "I don't really like this colour/cut".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It depends on the salon.

I wouldn't really want to go back to a hairdresser again if they ruined my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jesabel129

I am a qualified Hairdresser, most reputable salons would fix your hair for free if the hairdresser screwed it up. No buts about it.
    They want to keep you as a client, and a happy client is going to come back! You wouldnt have to go back to the same stylist if you didnt feel comfortable, and the stylist who messed your hair will have to get the price taken out of her/his comission and givin to the new stylist for the re-do. Best of luck!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I have gone to a different stylist but the screwup was so bad it's still being corrected. I wasn't charged the first few times when it was absolutely horrendous, but the last 2 times I've been charged. I'm upset at this stage because I'm due back and rang to check and will be charged full price again. I need more done than I usually would, all because of the screwup. I've spent a lot of money on treatments for my hair over the past few months, way more than I ever have, because it's in such bad condition now. I've been going to the salon for a really long time so I'm really disappointed.

Bumping this up because I'm really desperate for help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Best to go to a consumer advice centre, or try cross-posting/moving the topic to Consumer Issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

You could try consumer issues? They may be able to give you some more advice/help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

They wont keep doing your hair for free! No matter what sort of mess they made it!

I know *touch wood it doesn't happen* but if someone came to me and they weren't totally happy Id fix it for them to what it should have been and thats it! Once maybe twice but you cant keep expecting them to do it free for you!

What if the hairdresser actually damages your hair? Don't want to go into too much detail here but i've had to pay out while getting my hair fixed and I'm really unhappy with the way I've been treated at this stage.

Without trying to sound nosey, you probably will have to give more detail to get any sort of response from people. Your posts are fairly vague, in fairness.

As someone who cuts his own hair, visits a barber annually and knows nothing of the business, my take on it would be;

1. If they damaged your hair and they fixed it then job done. No need to worry. If they fixed it in the same sitting that they damaged it, i'd pay them, unless they specifically said they'd do your hair in X amount of time, but because of the screw up, they held you up longer. If you can go in and walk out in one go, with the hairstyle you wanted, then you should expect to pay, in my opinion.

2. If they made a total jock of your hair altogether, and you required repeat visits to the place over a period of time to fix the issue, then I would not expect pay for any visit. I would not pay for anything until my hair was sorted. It was their fault you had to return, not your own.

Similarly, if I bought a TV and it came with no plug, I'd bring it back and get a plug. I wouldn't pay for the plug; it's the shops fault i didn't get one in the first place. If the plug is faulty and I have to go back for another, again, the stores fault, so I won't expect to pay. If the new plug is again faulty, i will return it again and not expect to pay. In short, the general rule of thumb is you only have to pay for this kind of thing when it's not the stores fault.

A hairstyle is merely a product in these stores. I see no reason why it would be treated differently to any other product. If you send your camera off to be repaired and it comes back the same, then you send it off again, until it's fixed, right?

That said, if you expect them to fix your hair, and then continue to provide free services, then that's not something you should expect. If they offer free services after fixing your hair, then that's a gesture of goodwill. Once they've corrected the issue, it's back to square one.

Thanks kkv, you've put it well. Basically it's situation no.2 and I have paid. When I questioned it I was made to feel like I was looking for freebies and taking advantage of the situation. I was really embarrassed and upset. I was told at the time of the screwup that I'd be looked after for ages but at this stage I feel like a total fool for paying for something to be fixed which was completely someone else's screwup.

• Advertisement

Letter to the manager, then, E.T.

Not an angry, "you shower of bastards" style letter, now. A polite letter outlining your disappointment with them, and that you don't feel remotely like a satisfied customer.

If nothing comes of it, head on to another hairdresser from now on.

Any store or company worth their salt would have the decency to give you a refund or vouchers though.

Thanks kkv. Anyone who's seen my hair has been completely shocked at what was done to it so I know I'm not overreacting. I've gone to another hair salon for advice but they said they couldn't even try to fix it. I've been made to feel like I'm the one at fault by the hairdresser and I'm just in a bad mood after talking to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CKavo

PLL do you do knickzers? I see you live in Kildare.....I'm living in Blessington close to Naas and am looking for a hairdresser to do my mesh colour and cut while my usual lady is on maternity leave????? If you or you know someone dat knickzers evening time can you let me know. Obviously it goes without saying I'm looking for someone qualified and up to the job. Tx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

Years ago i got my hair done in a well known salon, i wont say she messed up my hair - she didnt, but it turned out a different colour then i had asked for. I had paid well over a hundred quid to get it done.

i went back the following week for her to re-do it, she was quite snotty with me through the whole appointment, once she finished she said 'no need to pay'. i threw her a tenner tip , i dont know why because she wasnt as friendly has she was the first time i went to her.

BTW, i still wasnt happy with my hair, but didnt wanna start complaining again, so i just left it, and just never bothered going back to that salon again

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

Dambant wrote: »
    Years ago i got my hair done in a well known salon, i wont say she messed up my hair - she didnt, but it turned out a different colour then i had asked for. I had paid well over a hundred quid to get it done.

i went back the following week for her to re-do it, she was quite snotty with me through the whole appointment, once she finished she said 'no need to pay'. i threw her a tenner tip , i dont know why because she wasnt as friendly has she was the first time i went to her.

BTW, i still wasnt happy with my hair, but didnt wanna start complaining again, so i just left it, and just never bothered going back to that salon again

I spent over 300e in a very well known salon getting my hair stripped to it's natural red, the hairdresser spent the whole time scolding me for ruining my hair, fair enough though as I had. Went back to the same salon a few months later and they had all my records ect,, I spoke to a trainee explaining the colour I wanted, my hair was quite bright, a shade lighter then my natural, and I just needed to dye over the patchiness from the stripping, the qualified hairdresser informed us that it was too bright and I'd need to dye it down, and the end result colour was a dark brown. I was so mad, had to go back to get it stripped again, they did do it for free, but it ruined my hair even more.

So mad I bothered to take her expert opionion, it's annoying when you can't take the professionals opionion. I know my hair went darker then it should because it was so damaged, that's the salons job to know these things. I use bottle dyes now, only ever had one nice colour in a salon, the girl who originally stripped my hair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

Shmatter wrote: »
    I use bottle dyes now, only ever had one nice colour in a salon, the girl who originally stripped my hair!!
    I'd love to go into Boots and buy a bottle dye, but i'd be afraid my hair would turn yellow or orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

L'oreal have a nice semi, I'd recommend trying it, I use it on my roots at the moment to limit the amount of product build up in my hair!!
    There are probably great salons, but I'd wait till you get a recommendation off someone who has similar hair tastes as you. I've wasted so much money on hairdressers not listening and putting in no effort to my hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

I love bottle dyes! However, you can't expect them to take immediate effect after one use, especially if you're changing your hair drastically. I dyed my hair from strawberry blonde to a very blonde colour over a space of time which worked great for me :) But inbetween stages may not be so subtle as mine were with other colours. :p

OP, I don't feel your pain 100% and my experience may seem minor in comparison to yours, but if there's one thing I love about myself, it's my hair and I no longer trust it in other peoples' hands -_-

I decided to stray from my usual salon as they were kinda more middle aged and used to cutting older peoples hair and so, as a result, my hairstyle was a bit middle-aged. I went to another local salon with a great reputation and the cut went well-my long blonde hair had just about 1-2 inches taken off it when I had asked for a trim. Great. :) Exactly what I wanted.
    I went back about 3 months later (they said to come back six weeks later due to the poor condition of my hair for regular trims but hairdressers scare me and aways have) and I had an even better stylist who understood exactly what I wanted and even suggested things I wouldn't have thought of but loved! Again, she didn't cut loadsa off my hair and was the first hairdresser I had ever encountered to actually create the fringe I had asked for.
    Naturally, I went back to the salon again but I couldn't get the previous stylist I had had. I settled for another-hoping it would be the one from the time before. This hairdresser was the kind of one who says when you ask for only a tiny trim 'mmmm, yyyeeeahhh, welll, hmmmmm your hair really needs a bit more off than that, look at all this damage blah blah blah' and my hair was now above my shoulders.
    Since that experience I have never ever been able to grow my hair to the length it was before even though I followed the advice of the hairdressers and started going back ever 6 weeks for trims. I HATE having my hair this short although some would argue that it isn't short at all. It doesn't matter, it's not what I wanted.
    I've decided to ignore all advice and allow my hair to grow for at least a year (I can trim my fringe reasonably well :p)

My general point is; I hate hairdressers who cut all my hair off :(

Advertisement