Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-09-2019, 16:39   #1
bolgbui41

Spam email - what to do?

Firstly, I should point out that I'm not at all technologically aware so these may be very obvious questions. Also not sure whether this is the right place to put this, so it can be moved it necessary.
I received an email yesterday saying that I had been "infected with malware through an adult site" I had visited and that unless I pay money into a bitcoin account within 24hrs that certain videos of me would be sent to all my contacts.I'm assuming this is a scam - I think I've heard of something similar before - so my first question is whether the best thing to do is just to delete this? I am assuming so.
Secondly, the email was sent via the email account of a housing company in the UK I was dealt with previously. It manifested on my account as a reply to the last email I sent them (which is why I opened it - I assumed it was a follow up). Should I/do I need to inform them that their account is being used this way? Is it possible they were hacked or something?
Any help appreciated!
Advertisement
24-09-2019, 16:41   #2
Iseedeadpixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgbui41 View Post
Firstly, I should point out that I'm not at all technologically aware so these may be very obvious questions. Also not sure whether this is the right place to put this, so it can be moved it necessary.
I received an email yesterday saying that I had been "infected with malware through an adult site" I had visited and that unless I pay money into a bitcoin account within 24hrs that certain videos of me would be sent to all my contacts.I'm assuming this is a scam - I think I've heard of something similar before - so my first question is whether the best thing to do is just to delete this? I am assuming so.
Secondly, the email was sent via the email account of a housing company in the UK I was dealt with previously. It manifested on my account as a reply to the last email I sent them (which is why I opened it - I assumed it was a follow up). Should I/do I need to inform them that their account is being used this way? Is it possible they were hacked or something?
Any help appreciated!
Ignore it, it is an old con that has resurfaced recently, that and another with a similar email to your own with a very old password is doing the rounds.
24-09-2019, 16:42   #3
Chiorino

Delete it and forget about it. We get them daily.
24-09-2019, 16:42   #4
bolgbui41

Great, thanks. I assumed that was the case, but I just wanted to make sure.

That it came through an address known to me - is that normal?
24-09-2019, 16:42   #5
is_that_so

Ignore any of those malware things and do not click on any links. As to the second it's up to you whether to contact them. They may appreciate it. I do it with emails from "banks".
Advertisement
24-09-2019, 16:43   #6
SusieBlue

Lots of people are getting these, they are nothing to worry about. Just delete and ignore.
Maybe ring and give the UK company a heads up that they're being spoofed in case they aren't aware.
24-09-2019, 16:57   #7
bolgbui41

Grand, I gave them a call there just to let them know about it. Thank you all.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion