Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should boys and girls play on the same sports teams?

Options
  • 26-01-2018 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Say up till the age of 12. Non contact sports

Poll Question 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Yes, just so everyone can realize that it's a stupid idea like so many well intentioned things that are born of a willingness to be inclusive for the sake of it in the modern age.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No. Given as they are going to have to be separated by sex at some point, it seems pointless. Let everyone compete on a level playing field from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All young non-pro sports. It shouldn't be enforced, but all teams should be open to both genders (that qualify).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I'd prefer if women ignored sports and focused more on cooking skills and developing themselves in that field which will help them get a husband and ultimately a family.
    Mod-Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd prefer if women ignored sports and focused more on cooking skills and developing themselves in that field which will help them get a husband and ultimately a family.
    Ooh, you gon' done it now bai

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think 12 would be pushing it to be honest, maybe eight or ten.
    I am not overly sporty but from what I do know men/womens games have different rules/etc and it would be messy for a period for the transition into teenage years when things would be getting more serious.
    Even tough sports are none contact boys can be a lot rougher in my experience even with non contact sport.
    Changing rooms would also be another issue would there be one for the boy and another for the girls and trans kids or would they all share. It would make it very messy for playing matching because they'd need a lot of changing rooms. Most clubs couldn't cope with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Why not? All sport is just people being paid to hopefully make a fool out of themselves for the entertainment of the beer glugging baying mob.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I am not overly sporty but from what I do know men/womens games have different rules/etc and it would be messy for a period for the transition into teenage years when things would be getting more serious.
    Even tough sports are none contact boys can be a lot rougher in my experience even with non contact sport.
    Changing rooms would also be another issue would there be one for the boy and another for the girls and trans kids or would they all share. It would make it very messy for playing matching because they'd need a lot of changing rooms. Most clubs couldn't cope with this.

Is this the 1800s?

We had mixed teams up to u17 level in a wide variety of sports. Never an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Most clubs don't have changing rooms for under age teams (I don't know about GAA now mind).

Don't see the issue with roughness tbh. They're all kids. A bit of rough and tumble is no harm for boys or girls. Toughened them up.

There's plenty of mixed football (soccer) teams about at least and you'll find that the girls who train with the boys are generally better footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,072 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

... or failing that, an earnable living at the President's Club?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is this the 1800s?

We had mixed teams up to u17 level in a wide variety of sports. Never an issue.
    Most clubs don't have changing rooms for under age teams (I don't know about GAA now mind).

Don't see the issue with roughness tbh. They're all kids. A bit of rough and tumble is no harm for boys or girls. Toughened them up.

There's plenty of mixed football (soccer) teams about at least and you'll find that the girls who train with the boys are generally better footballers.

As I said I haven't a clue. I played a little GAA back in the early 2000's the boys were in one changing room and the girls in another and to the best of my knowledge they just trainned together. Can't remember them playing matches together.
    PS I think 10 is fine but 12 might be pushing it a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't really like women so I'm going to be here for the next 15 pages disguising it as a dislike for 'feminism gone mad'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Girls do (up to about 12) play in the same teams as boys in the Dublin football league that my sons play in although they can also opt to play in girls teams.

You see some very good female players under that age level that can more than hold their own.

After 12, I assume the rationale is that the boys start filling out more, physically and athletically. and it's not level after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nah, because the boys delayed mental development would be even more exposed. Poor little tykes, it would make em feel bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Why bother? What would you achieve? Equality? Remember when you hated playing 5 aside footie in PE in school and you had to pass to the girl to score?

I think it would put off girls continuing in sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Having played hurling and trained a camogie team for a short while, I wouldn't be in favour of mixed teams from 12 up. The poor lads would probably be scarred forever.

I know I was :pac:

12 seems a good cut off. My daughter plays both hurling and camogie mostly because of poor numbers in her age groups in both codes but there are a few girls that could play at an older age quite successfully.

As far as I'm concerned, any way of getting more girls playing sports should be encouraged and promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No.
    When I was approx. 10-12yrs old I was on a sprint team.
    This was the only one, of the sports I played, that had mixed teams.
    It just didn't work.

Advertisement