Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the smoking ban?

Options
  • 23-02-2007 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭

I suppose its probably obvious what the majority of answers will be, given the forum this is, but what do you all think about the introduction of the smoking ban in Ireland now that its a couple of years old?

Personally, I think that I would not have been able to give up smoking without the ban being in place. On previous attempts, it was just way too hard and tempting when there people everywhere lighting up. As a smoker, I never realised quite how much they stank, as all pubs had that smell, so its great that you dont have to get that odour to remind you of them as well. It was much easier to stay away from them when you saw people going into the wet and the cold to puff away (I stopped soon after the ban came in, so not many places had shelters).

The only aspect I dont like is old people having to brave the wind and cold in order to have a ciggy, but I suppose there isnt really any way around that.

I reckon this ban was a great idea, (albeit a bit of a nannyesque one). What do you think?

Also, do you see it the ban being broken at all anymore? I know one pub in my town; a real regulars place, and they still lock the door at 11 and put the ashtrays out! I dont care, as I dont drink there and it is full of the aforementioned older people, but its strange that it still happens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Saw a guy light up in a pub wednesday night. It was some old lad and he was well pissed, seemed like he just forgot where he was.

Smoking ban has been great imo. A lot of smoking areas are decent too, so smokers dont have to brave the wind and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Emm, is it just me, or has the Ban not been in place for some years now? It seems this thread is a little slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

I think it was a great idea, I’m still smoking (well gave up 2.5 days ago), it didn’t encourage me to give up in any way, although I don’t think I smoked as much when I was out, especially during the Winter.

It did bring the benefits of not smelling like a cigarette at the end of a night out, and there is the social aspect of meeting other smokers in the smoking area.

I’ve only seen it been broken twice and that was by people at the end of a night with to much to drink, I haven’t seen anyone intentionally breaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Archeron

Emm, is it just me, or has the Ban not been in place for some years now? It seems this thread is a little slow...

Yes, indeed it is in place many years now. I was wondeirng if anyone had any opinions in the "giving up smoking" forum as to whether or not it has been of assistance in their giving up. I may be slow dude, but I'm not THAT slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I suggest you read the first post again.

I was totally against it when it first came in. Couldn't understand it at all.
    I'm used to it now and the cold never bothered me anyway. Although, I do find myself getting the hiccoughs on occasion due to going from warm to cold to warm again.

I suppose it's better for the staff to work in a smoke free environment.
    As for the non-smokers who pushed for the ban, they can suck my balls. I just don't like preachers.

I really would like to see tobacco banned completely.
    It's a pointless drug, really.
    The real reason behind me wanting to see it banned though is that I think it's the only way I'll ever quit. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Archeron

What methods have you tried Terry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Terry wrote:
    As for the non-smokers who pushed for the ban, they can suck my balls. I just don't like preachers.
    Hear hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Terry wrote:
    I was totally against it when it first came in. Couldn't understand it at all.
    Look at it fundamentally... people were once allowed to light small fires and burn leaves in enclosed public areas, madness, if nobody ever smoked anything and some bloke arrived in the pub claiming it was his "civil right" to burn his garden leaves in a dish on the bar he would have been carted away to the mad house. People coughing and getting their eyes stung red, and clothes stinking. And the bloke saying "ah shut up, there is no proof it does you any harm, if it bothers you that much just stay at home and drink, nobody is forcing you to come to the pub, let me burn my leaves in peace, self-righteous moaning idiots".

And you say you really couldnt understand any of it?

Terry wrote:
    What about the smokers who pushed for the ban? do they also get to suck your balls? Polls at the time showed the majority of smokers were in favour of the ban too. Or would you not like your balls smelling of smoke ;)
    Terry wrote:
    I really would like to see tobacco banned completely.
    It's a pointless drug, really.
    I would like to see all drugs being treated in a similar way, legality wise. The hypocrisy of the drug laws pisses me off more than what is legal or not.

I would reckon some pubs still do tolerate it, there was one pub in dublin years back that tolerated cannabis smoking in a similar fashion. The whole pub stank, the gardai knew full well but seeing as there were apparently few complaints it was tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Archeron wrote:
    What methods have you tried Terry?
    I try cold turkey every monday morning and have tried nicotene gum.
    The nicotene gum was ok, but I just wasn't ready to quit. I just kept coming up with excuses to start again.
    I'll quit one of these day.

rubadub, you'll not get a cannabis debate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Terry wrote:
    . Although, I do find myself getting the hiccoughs on occasion due to going from warm to cold to warm again.

Ok off topic (anyway seeing as there are posts about 's****** on balls or whatever i doubt it matters........??)

Anyway 'the hiccoughs' the what? whats a hiccough? Hiccup is it and if so how would the difference in temp between indoors and out cause them?!

(Off the cigs 2 months and still a bit narky!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement