Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you find any reference to your family in the school collection

Options
  • 27-01-2018 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Have you searched the school collection to see if any relatives of your family have been mentioned or contributed to the school collection, most of the people who contributed are dead but there are a few people still alive who wrote the folklore down and many people still alive who knew the people involved? I have looked up the schools where some older people I know went to school and showed them the stories from the school they attended and they were surprised at the information that was online and it brought back many memories to them.

For those who are not familiar with the school's collection, It is approximately 740,000 pages of folklore and local tradition that was compiled by pupils from 5,000 primary schools in the Irish Free State between 1937 and 1939.

You can browse it by county or by the interactive map at the following links,

https://www.duchas.ie/en/plc

https://www.duchas.ie/en

So next time you have a family get together, have a search of the site all you need to know is the school your parents or grandparents went to and find out if any of your relatives or neighbours were mentioned in the collection.

About one-third of it is transcribed by volunteers so if you have some free time you can also contribute to the project by transcribing from the online facsimile into written text.

Some of the most interesting stories are shown as ‘Editor’s pick’ on this site; you can browse through them here www.duchas.ie/en/ftr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Thanks, OP.

I’ll be sure to do it, right after we do our usual rendition of ‘The Hills are alive’ and bake cookies together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Pity you can't see the name of the student that wrote the story, just the teacher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I had never heard of that (not being Irish), but reading through some of this is actually very interesting indeed.

Advertisement