Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What makes the boo noise?

Options
  • 24-01-2021 4:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I’d like to think I know a bit about how a car works. I can understand how most technical components work and I’m able to carry out most of the maintenance on my cars myself. However, I still do not for the life of me know what makes the boo sound that you hear coming from the modified cars young lads drive. Help a buddy out here with some knowledge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

iQuain wrote: »
    I’d like to think I know a bit about how a car works. I can understand how most technical components work and I’m able to carry out most of the maintenance on my cars myself. However, I still do not for the life of me know what makes the boo sound that you hear coming from the modified cars young lads drive. Help a buddy out here with some knowledge?

I believe it's a modification to the turbo blow off valve in some of these cars. Usually a diesel golf or A4 or similar. I have heard of it being called a pigeon valve because of the sound it makes.
    Each to their own I suppose. 🙂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A Dump Valve.

A blow-off valve, dump valve or compressor bypass valve, is a pressure release system present in most turbocharged engines. Its main purpose is to take the load off the turbocharger when the throttle is suddenly closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

That’s something different ^ The ‘boo’ or ‘coo’ is from a straight piped exhaust. You remove the rear back boxes and other bits from the exhaust system and add a section of metal pipe to replace it. When I was younger I removed the backbox off my 1.9 tdi Passat and it ‘cood’ but removing the backbox alone doesn’t make it overly loud. Theres other sections that need cutting out also. Sorry link isn’t working

https://youtu.be/65_6nVlpxok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I thought it was dump valve re-routing but there's no dump valve on the vnt turbo the vag cars use. As was said earlier they remove silencer boxes from the exhaust.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dump valve. Speaking of which.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

I always thought it was a mandatory modification to warn other road users that a dope is driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Decat and other silencers in the system if needed. The more straight piped you get it the more it choos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Gumbo wrote: »
    A Dump Valve.

A blow-off valve, dump valve or compressor bypass valve, is a pressure release system present in most turbocharged engines. Its main purpose is to take the load off the turbocharger when the throttle is suddenly closed.

There's no throttle on a diesel so no dump valve, as mentioned above, modified exhausts in most cases that might be heard these days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

alias no.9 wrote: »
    There's no throttle on a diesel so no dump valve, as mentioned above, modified exhausts in most cases that might be heard these days

OP never said anything about diesel?

Petrol cars don’t make the boo noise, only old diesels do. Dump valve is a different noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

User1998 wrote: »
    Petrol cars don’t make the boo noise, only old diesels do. Dump valve is a different noise

Some of them do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

A turbo petrol do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

1000's of youtube videos are self explanatory
    There's a difference between diesel and petrol alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Gumbo wrote: »
    OP never said anything about diesel?

Correct, but they mentioned specifically
    the boo sound that you hear coming from the modified cars young lads drive.

A scene that is dominated by VAG and BMW diesels these days and anyways a dump valve makes a hiss rather than a boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

The sound comes from the exhaust pressure releasing from the variable vane turbo . Its always there but fit a straight pipe and it will allow the sound to exit at the tailpipe instead of being muted by the silencer

Even on a standard diesel it makes the boo noise but you’d barely notice it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

User1998 wrote: »
    That’s something different ^ The ‘boo’ or ‘coo’ is from a straight piped exhaust. You remove the rear back boxes and other bits from the exhaust system and add a section of metal pipe to replace it. When I was younger I removed the backbox off my 1.9 tdi Passat and it ‘cood’ but removing the backbox alone doesn’t make it overly loud. Theres other sections that need cutting out also. Sorry link isn’t working

This should be illegal and punishable by 10 years in prison. See how much they would know about doing stupid things like that to perfectly good cars then or if there would even be any cars that could do that too then because they will be all electric by the time they get out of prison.

https://youtu.be/65_6nVlpxok
    Badger2009 wrote: »
    I always thought it was a mandatory modification to warn other road users that a dope is driving.

That is the truth. They have a tiny weeny todger so are trying to compensate for in other ways thep poor fools.
    Cerveza wrote: »
    Decat and other silencers in the system if needed. The more straight piped you get it the more it choos.

The more idioutic and stupid it sounds. Thankfully there has been none of these idiots around here in a while now. Maybe the Pandemic might do one more good thing and kill this trend off for a while at least.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its the calling sound of the lesser penised spunk trumpet

What makes the boo noise?

Other motorists and pedestrians.

Advertisement