Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

18z GFS is an upgrade for prolonging the cold much in the same way as the ECM

gfs-0-120.png?18

The high pressure over Scandinavia is becoming more of a feature at this point with each passing run just enough to slow progress. Be interesting to see how this ends up in future runs.

This is one of those charts where you think by this time tomorrow will the Atlantic be making it through at all given the trend...

gfs-0-150.png?18

Opportunities yet for this cold spell to be extended further. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Still no mention of snow risk along the South coast by Met Eireann this evening. Just East and North.
    Will it be a flawed forecast, I guess we just have to wait and see..But with winds southeast at times and -10 uppers there's a fair risk imo

Tues looking good for south...

544740AD-6157-4718-BE87-8C59C6896B8A.png.b181d44199c8ababfb4ee8b844ba9c7a.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my confidence in the mild spell from next weekend is starting to look rather shakey.

GFSOPEU18_264_1.png

Could the mild spell be completely destroyed by Monday/Tuesday I wonder.

Winds going back into the east from Wednesday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Still no mention of snow risk along the South coast by Met Eireann this evening. Just East and North.
    Will it be a flawed forecast, I guess we just have to wait and see..But with winds southeast at times and -10 uppers there's a fair risk imo

I agree JS. No idea if it will work out but right now on the basis of the charts it is bizarre not to be mentioning the south coast for streamers. The latest ECM and GFS have -9 and -10s from south of Wales to the Cork coast for 48 hours from Monday evening and concensus is there may well be South Easterlies or Easterlies which would give us a 340km fetch at worst (or nearer 500km if SE wind) which means we could be inundated. Alternatively, wind might be north easterly in which case Wexford steals all of our snow (Wexford shadow?) but that looks unlikely to be the case throughout the spell. Thus you'd think ME would mention this risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I just hope it does not end up in a situation whereby we miss out on a significant snow event and we are then under higher pressure. The NOAA charts suggest we will be under higher pressure, but hopefully it will eventually be in a position to move cold our way. I have to say this GFS run tonight was a surprise, especially after the UKMO update

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I just hope it does not end up in a situation whereby we miss out on a significant snow event and we are then under higher pressure. The NOAA charts suggest we will be under higher pressure, but hopefully it will eventually be in a position to move cold our way. I have to say this GFS run tonight was a surprise, especially after the UKMO update

That’s a better alternative to mild, wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

Gonzo wrote: »
    my confidence in the mild spell from next weekend is starting to look rather shakey.

GFSOPEU18_264_1.png

Very much in line with ECM weekly anomaly chart. High pressure to our north will at least allow us to dry out after this insane wet period.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If we could shift this high north by about 500 or 600km we would be in business.

GFSOPEU18_306_1.png

If this chart verifies expect chilly days and frosts. This dry spell would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Gonzo wrote: »

GFSOPEU18_264_1.png

Such a scenario is in line with ME long range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

They only update the longer term forecast once in the morning until your in a timeframe of 2 days away. It will be changed Saturday morning.

If they were to update on every model run that would cause alot of confusion. There's much uncertainty at this stage and there no point them putting the fine details in until there sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Reversal wrote: »
    Such a scenario is in line with ME long range.

Yes, it certainly is.

Was talking to my relatives in NYC tonight and they're expecting another dump of snow on Sunday. I presume this low that's responsible for their event is our proverbial spanner in the works if she carries across the Atlantic for us.

However, if this low spirals well north we could sit under a cold high ridge while that storm slams Iceland and rallies northeast into the arctic.

If the jet can split in two and keep the med low, we could "ride the storm" into a lock and reload easterly once more.

This is to play for at this moment in time I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

MET ÉIREANN UPDATE
    MONTHLY FORECAST, ISSUED FRIDAY 05 FEBRUARY 2021
    Week 1 (Monday 08 February to Sunday 14 February)

Low pressure to the south of Ireland with high pressure to the north will establish a mainly easterly airflow over the country for this period. This easterly airflow will bring a colder airmass from Scandinavia over Ireland, leading to below average temperatures for the week. The fresh or strong easterly winds will also bring an added wind-chill factor. Precipitation amounts will vary. Showery conditions will feed into northeastern, eastern and southern areas leading to slightly above average precipitation amounts there. The west and northwest will be more sheltered in the easterly flow, leading to slightly below average precipitation amounts there.

With cold temperatures, wintry precipitation is likely. Showers over the eastern half of the country will fall as sleet and snow and there is potential for more widespread snowfall in the second half of the week. There will also be frost and ice at night, leading to hazardous conditions.

Good UKMO this morning. Keeps the freeze until Thursday night. First tentative sign of undercutting?

UW144-21.GIF?06-05

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    That’s a better alternative to mild, wind and rain.

A better alternative is a significant snowfall followed by a cold surface high

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Think the GEM is the way forward and shows what Met Éireann are saying in monthly forecast, scandi high boom
    anim_lbm5.gif
    anim_urx0.gif

I hope so Mount Vesuvius. Let's see if the ECM has the same script. A high of some sort is the form horse, it may lead to spring like conditions intially before a cold reload.

I hope so Mount Vesuvius. Let's see if the ECM has the same script. A high of some sort is the form horse, it may lead to spring like conditions intially before a cold reload.

You don't go to Russia, Russia comes to you :eek:

gemnh-0-240.png?00

gemnh-1-240.png?00

We might only be awaiting the APERITIF at the moment.
    Main meal could be Champagne, truffles and caviar.:D
    Come on ECM.

lol @ that temperature gradient in northern Mexico

gemna-1-240.png?00

• Advertisement

Remember this?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115890471&postcount=1021

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

lol @ that temperature gradient in northern Mexico

Jesus Christ :eek: That's got to cause some incredible instability, right?

ECM extends cold air to Friday for most

ECM0-144.GIF?06-12

ECM1-144.GIF?06-12

That Scandinavian high is exerting more and more influence with each run. Holding back the Atlantic horde.

80805098.jpg

I'm telling yeh the Atlantic won't break through in the end :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Ecm snow accumulations at t120 are further reduced on this run. A dusting for some.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20210211-0000z.html

The breakdown snow towards the end of next week projects 1 to 2 inches generally.

Upgrades can happen, what's posted above isn't gospel but certainly is very underwhelming if we're to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Although the cold hangs in for a little longer in ECM, the strong High pressure over the North Sea is going the wrong way in FI. Heading south into Europe is not what we want. Drags damp crappy westerlies over us and shunts the cold southeast over Greece, Balkans, Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

All models showing a breakdown by end of week but they do take different routes. Amazing how the gem gets rolled out and becomes top model when others don't show what we want.
    3 good days of cold and snow streamers ahead with the East and South coast primed.
    I see Met Eireann stubbornly avoid any mention of the South again this morning when there is a clear ppn risk from Monday night on!
    The south coast has -10 uppers and an onshore wind means only one thing for me....
    We shall see though, they might be right...

Heading south into Europe is not what we want.

You take it at face value when you should be looking at the trend. It's not there yet but it's getting there. Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

All models showing a breakdown by end of week but they do take different routes. Amazing how the gem gets rolled out and becomes top model when others don't show what we want.
    3 good days of cold and snow streamers ahead with the East and South coast primed.
    I see Met Eireann stubbornly avoid any mention of the South again this morning when there is a clear ppn risk from Monday night on!
    The south coast has -10 uppers and an onshore wind means only one thing for me....
    We shall see though, they might be right...

Who said the GEM was top model in any of the posts this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

You take it at face value when you should be looking at the trend. It's not there yet but it's getting there. Chill.
    True, I qualified it by saying it was in FI. Subject to change I hope. A Bartlett high is my worst winter scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Who said the GEM was top model in any of the posts this morning?

Sorry ref NW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement