Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIS in UCC..Comp Science also

Options
  • 26-04-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

HI - I’m keen on both Computer Science and BIS in UCC and currently in leaving cert..at least I think I’ll be doing it !

I really like the idea of Comp Science but I like the balance of BIS also. Ironically in the open day they made a big deal in BIS that the coding is not a big deal and its quite easy. Ironic because I’m keen on coding and Maths and concerned that BIS is too businessny.. for example can you go on and do a masters in more IT and comp science side after doing BIS.

I know it sounds like I should be doing computer science nearly but neither am I that experainced in it. More something I am developing an interest in the last year.
    Any comments or suggestions and I would love to hear from any BIS or C Science students ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

You can certainly do an MSc in Comp Sci after BIS, or vice versa. the entry requirements for a masters is usually something like getting a second class honours in your primary degree (something like a 2H1). You can go from more or less anything to more or less anything else once you have the marks in the primary degree.

Both courses are good and you'd have good employment prospects from either. I would say that BIS is less technical, and has more focus on business. With CS you can get quite technical if you want to. I would also say that there's more scope to do technical stuff in BIS than there is to do business stuff in CS.

Do you know what you think you might like to work in as a career? If you have some idea of that it can inform a degree choice. Then again, people change, so don't stress about it too much either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Silpac

Thank you, that’s very helpful. I want to make sure there is enough technical on the BIS side also. I will look for greater sense of what the technical modules in BIS are and in particular I will look for people who have done BIS and continued in a more technical / coding role.

I will have done Econ and Accounting in leaving cert so that probably a good thing for BIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Starting my BIS First year summer exams tomorrow so just finished my first year in it! I was debating between both as well and delighted I chose BIS. We did visual basic in first year along with Linux and HTML,CSS and Javascript etc. Think we move onto c next semester but not fully sure yet! You also learn about excel, microsoft Access databases, visio etc and projecxt management in general

Lecturers are all sound on the IS side and really approachable and have been consistantly checking on us to make sure we are ok. The Business side lecturers aren't as connected as we are mixed in with commerce people for accounting etc and its just generally done differently but are nice if you send an email. Surprisingly its nice to have a break from coding with the business part! I did economics and business studies, helped a lot. I chose marketing over managem,ent as my choice and business definitely helped with that and econ is v similar to what we did in LC

Projects in the coding side are like designing applications in visual studio and making a website in html and some more forms etc in Access

Overall its a well rounded course and so far I am loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Billyo66

Hi, Looking for a bit of advice as my son has started BIS but hasn't done Accounting before.

With everything online, he is feeling a bit anxious about keeping up.

Any advice regarding what Accounting books he should get to help him cover the Module?

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Billyo66 wrote: »
    Hi, Looking for a bit of advice as my son has started BIS but hasn't done Accounting before.

With everything online, he is feeling a bit anxious about keeping up.

Any advice regarding what Accounting books he should get to help him cover the Module?

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

Did the lecturers not go over recommended books? They usually would.

Assuming hasn't changed since my time, there's 2 accounting classes and both have tutorials. I'd imagine those tutorials are now virtual and will be done by a student in a higher year so they'd be worth asking too. At least in my year no one attended those tutorials so should be able to get good help if they're on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Billyo66

titan18 wrote: »
    Did the lecturers not go over recommended books? They usually would.

Assuming hasn't changed since my time, there's 2 accounting classes and both have tutorials. I'd imagine those tutorials are now virtual and will be done by a student in a higher year so they'd be worth asking too. At least in my year no one attended those tutorials so should be able to get good help if they're on.

Thank you.

Advertisement