Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nutgrove rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

As far as Iknow it is closed again. It opened back up about 5 weeks ago, but closed very quickly, mayhem in the village one night:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Yes it's definately closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Which one is the inn? Is that the one just down on the same side as centra? I though it was decent enough last time i was in, mind you that was about 3 /4 years ago. Not living over that end now so rarely if every pass that way anymore.

Is the tuning fork still open anytime ive passed its had its shutters down?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hey Calex71.

The "Tuner" is shut a long time now. Always a very strange pub . . . . even though the bar could be a bit lively at times. *******, the Landlord was as odd as two left feet.

garbanzo wrote: »
    Hey Calex71.

The "Tuner" is shut a long time now. Always a very strange pub . . . . even though the bar could be a bit lively at times. *******, the Landlord was as odd as two left feet.

From what I hear poor old Vincent has lost a leg due to gangerine. The pub closed when he got ill.

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    From what I hear poor old Vincent has lost a leg due to gangerine. The pub closed when he got ill.

Ironic or what ! Someone call Alanis Morisette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Heard a rumour today that the tuning fork has been sold to a famous publican.

alie wrote: »
    Heard a rumour today that the tuning fork has been sold to a famous publican.

Was it Charlie?

Was it Charlie?

That rumour did the rounds a few months ago. Totally false.

Well he was up measuring with his workmen on wednesday!

• Advertisement

It never really took off as a pub so i think CC would be mad to invest, particularly "in the current climate". Then again as they say . . . . build it and they will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cclarkin

I have moved out of Dublin a couple of years ago, i use to drink in the Tuning Fork, great pub, lots of fun had there. Im surprised to hear it has shut its doors, what was Vincents surname, whats he doing with himself now, nice sort of a guy (a little strange maybe). Just joined this site, excellent for catching up with all the gos !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Anyone spot the big wheel in the carpark of nutgrove shopping centre?

They say there will be ice skating also :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

calex71 wrote: »
    Anyone spot the big wheel in the carpark of nutgrove shopping centre?

They say there will be ice skating also :eek:

Yeah there will be ice skating aswell. Opening in the next week or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lwoodfull

i've lived around the rathfarnham-ballinteer area my whole life,
    i grew up going to nutgrove all the time.
    the area's gorgeous, i love it..
    holds a lot of memories for me and everythings right at your door step!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

yoyo wrote: »
    My bad, I always thought they were different, as there were 2 different names for the shopping centres, nutgrove shopping centre & Rathfarnham shopping centre

Nick

Nutgrove Shopping Centre and Rathfarnham Shoppin Centre are two different places. And while Nutgrove is bad,Rathfarnham SC is worse!!
    On the subject of pubs The Eden is a nice place these days since it has been under new management for the past few yrs. No more of the owner coming at you with a double barrell shotgun cos he didn't like the look of you:eek:
    I grew up in rathfarnham and know a lot of people livin round Nutgrove area and they never seem to have any hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

Just wondering if anyone has any input about Mountainview area at the moment. Currently looking at buying around Rathfarnham/Churchtown & this area is quite affordable.
    Have heard conflicting reports about the area. Some saying its full of drugs etc, so far I've seen more positive than negative reports. Alot of people have said the area has improved as young professionals are buying the ex-council houses.
    Can anybody shed any light on this for me?? thanks!

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Nutgrove Shopping Centre and Rathfarnham Shoppin Centre are two different places. And while Nutgrove is bad,Rathfarnham SC is worse!!

Each to their own. Very handy having a penneys and tesco very close (Rathfarnham SC) and I've always liked Nutgrove for some strange reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Rb wrote: »
    As has been said, Loreto and Mountainview (The Holylands) used to be council estates. Holylands is a bit touch and go, on the outskirts it's all privately owned and they're nice, decent people however in the inner core there's still some bad families who've caused a lot of trouble in the area over the last 20 years. Those who live near there know who I'm referring to.

As a whole I'd imagine Nutgrove will be a fairly handy place to live, the shopping centre is a bit of a kip but the 24 hour tesco there is very convenient, especially with the free parking.

With regards to pubs, do not go to the bottle tower, it's a complete and utter dive. Castle or Revels in Rathfarnham Village, Buglers, Glenside and RodeoJoes (lol) are in Churchtown are all within walking distance and there's more in Dundrum.

"Holylands" WAS a rough area up to 10years ago however the ppl who caused loads of trouble are now in jail, dead or too brain dead to cause trouble...as far as the outskirts being privately owed MOST of the inner homes are privately owned too there is no trouble there anymore in fact when I visit I'm always surprised how quite it is, there used to be gangs of ppl hanging round houses at all times of the day and now nothing its a quite pleasant and nice area to now live
    this i thought i would never say but i am thrilled that i can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I grew up there when it was rotten moved out as soon as i was old enough family still live there never hung around with the people
    however now it is lovely, quite and yes lots of professionals and NO DRUGS well the same as in any area these days but certainly nothing like it was when I was growing up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kevkel

Is it Loreto or Mountainview?

Both are former council estates, but are mostly privately owned houses now. Loreto is pretty quiet nowadays (grew up there, parents still live there), good neighbours and close to anything you'd need, except a pub.

Mountainview is pretty much the same, but is a much bigger area. The houses would be slightly bigger than those in Loreto too.

The only real blemish to the area is that there is a halting site behind Nutgrove SC and while they tend to keep themselves to themselves, it's a bit of an eyesore, with some of the houses boarded up and accumulated scrap etc which builds up there from time to time.

I KNEW A FEW PEOPLE FROM LORETO WHAT IS YOUR NAME. I WENT TO EDMONDSTOWN SCHOOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Rathfarnham is generally a beautiful place to live. Perhaps the Nutgrove area is marginally less desirable but it's still comparatively lovely if other areas are to be considered.

To me, Rathfarnham provides a multitude really as it's a safe and quiet place, Marlay Park is literally moments away, the Dublin mountains provide a gorgeous backdrop and Dundrum is on your doorstep with town still being very accessible -what more could you possibly want? :)

A link bus to the luas

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Speaking of buses, has anyone mentioned there is an Aercoach service to airport that goes via the M50 (I think) that travels along Nutgrove Ave about once an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Anyone spot the "Lidl Coming soon" sign beside the fire-station on Nutgrove Ave?

Another lidl, maybe in where homebase used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Anyone spot the "Lidl Coming soon" sign beside the fire-station on Nutgrove Ave?

With another beside Marlay and another in Dundrum!!?

Poor old Tesco will be doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The lidl will be in a building beside the fire station. Wouldn't agree that Tesco is doomed. I thing it will impact more on Aldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I think it will be a level playing field with Aldi, Lidl and Tesco on opposite corners, separated by roads and each with own carparking complement.

Advertisement