22-01-2021, 10:35   #1
CantThinkOfANam

Moss/Algae Porcelain Patio

Hi all,

We got a new porcelain patio laid last summer and there is a green moss/algae forming on the joints. Most likely because rain water tends to lie there after heavy rain. It seems more like algae than moss to me. It’s fairly easy to remove with a brush when wet but I have two questions:

1: Is there something the landscaper could have done to prevent this happening?

2: What (if anything) can be done to prevent this happening?

Thanks a million!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C7620CAB-4297-41C9-BA58-9422A73B0C24.jpeg (571.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpeg A68C1309-1141-4FD7-BB18-F5360B55A8B2.jpeg (518.7 KB, 105 views)
Advertisement
23-01-2021, 09:46   #2
zerosugarbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantThinkOfANam View Post
Hi all,

We got a new porcelain patio laid last summer and there is a green moss/algae forming on the joints. Most likely because rain water tends to lie there after heavy rain. It seems more like algae than moss to me. It’s fairly easy to remove with a brush when wet but I have two questions:

1: Is there something the landscaper could have done to prevent this happening?

2: What (if anything) can be done to prevent this happening?

Thanks a million!
Wow that would be annoying. Although I can’t advise you I’m planning on doing something similar this year so will be following to see what advice you get.
23-01-2021, 09:52   #3
DoorParts

Im doing similar this year, hoping to avoid anything like this,

Ive been told by a gardener friend that putting copper wire around the area's perimeter can help reduce moss/algae or even completely stop it depending on the severity, ill be asking my landscaper to research before they start. Be interesting to see what info you get.
23-01-2021, 10:11   #4
Akrasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorParts View Post
Im doing similar this year, hoping to avoid anything like this,

Ive been told by a gardener friend that putting copper wire around the area's perimeter can help reduce moss/algae or even completely stop it depending on the severity, ill be asking my landscaper to research before they start. Be interesting to see what info you get.
I don’t see how copper wire would have any effect at all.
There is no such thing as a maintenance free garden
Algae will grow on outdoor surfaces if the light, temperature and moisture conditions suit it. You will need to clean your porcelain patio just like you need to clean your porcelain bathroom tiles if you want to keep them looking fresh, even more so because your garden is a less controlled environment where the weather will bring in plenty of organic matter to feed slimes and algae’s and lichens etc and while the porcelain might be hard and impervious to water, the grout isn’t, and grout can crack over time especially after freeze thaw cycles that happen outdoors every winter, and in summer the temperatures can spike and crash on a daily basis, especially if the tiles are dark in color
(2) thanks from:
23-01-2021, 10:14   #5
Akrasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosugarbuzz View Post
Wow that would be annoying. Although I can’t advise you I’m planning on doing something similar this year so will be following to see what advice you get.
Your landscaper should have laid the tiles with a ‘fall’ a slight slope that allows the rain to drain clear
There will always by a little bit of surface water after rain but there shouldn’t be puddles
Advertisement
23-01-2021, 10:50   #6
CJhaughey

Even with a fall water will still tend to sit in the grout lines, its just the way it works, I have a granite patio with a good fall and the water still sits in the lines and goes green.
This climate is conducive to algal growth.
Copper does produce copper sulphate which is known as bluestone and is toxic to algae but it can also leave a blue stain over time.

The best method to get rid of that is to use Benzalkalonium chloride (BAC) and apply on a dry day with a sprayer or a paintbrush and leave it to dry in for 6hrs minimum
Once treated the algae will disappear over a period of a week or so and not return for some months.
The key is to let it dry in, don't be tempted to just wash it away after application, it needs to dry in to the surface.
23-01-2021, 23:45   #7
CantThinkOfANam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
Your landscaper should have laid the tiles with a ‘fall’ a slight slope that allows the rain to drain clear
There will always by a little bit of surface water after rain but there shouldn’t be puddles
Thanks for the replies everyone. In fairness to the Gardner he did leave a good fall to a drain but water still lies on the joints. Guess I’ll just have to do some more regular cleaning - nothing else to do anyway lol
25-01-2021, 12:02   #8
Hocus Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhaughey View Post
Even with a fall water will still tend to sit in the grout lines, its just the way it works, I have a granite patio with a good fall and the water still sits in the lines and goes green.
This climate is conducive to algal growth.
Copper does produce copper sulphate which is known as bluestone and is toxic to algae but it can also leave a blue stain over time.

The best method to get rid of that is to use Benzalkalonium chloride (BAC) and apply on a dry day with a sprayer or a paintbrush and leave it to dry in for 6hrs minimum
Once treated the algae will disappear over a period of a week or so and not return for some months.
The key is to let it dry in, don't be tempted to just wash it away after application, it needs to dry in to the surface.

Patio Magic is the best known product containing Benzalkonium Chloride. It can be found in most good hardwares and garden centres. From time to time Lidl offer their similar product, only in one litre containers, but it is cheaper per litre than the brand leader.
Spray it on as per the instructions and it will begin to work after a week or so. It needs to be applied about twice per year and works very well. I use it on my boat and around my garden and patio and my (white) trailer. It it even prevent the moss forming on the roof.
(No connection, just a satisfied customer).
25-01-2021, 12:29   #9
CantThinkOfANam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus Focus View Post
Patio Magic is the best known product containing Benzalkonium Chloride. It can be found in most good hardwares and garden centres. From time to time Lidl offer their similar product, only in one litre containers, but it is cheaper per litre than the brand leader.
Spray it on as per the instructions and it will begin to work after a week or so. It needs to be applied about twice per year and works very well. I use it on my boat and around my garden and patio and my (white) trailer. It it even prevent the moss forming on the roof.
(No connection, just a satisfied customer).
Thanks very much, just sent a screen shot to the misses as she's beside Woodies!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion