Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probate time frame

Options
  • 22-01-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    we have made a personal probate application re: my deceased mother-in-laws estate, she left a will that was an even split between my wife and her sister.
    We had all the physical paper work complete but saw that you have to do it online (SA.2 form). We submitted this form before Christmas and just looked back at its status and it says that it was submitted on Jan 9 2021. There has been now requests for any documentation other than the will which we attached to the application as a PDF.
    The mother in laws house has been on the market since September and went sale agreed in December. Is there anyway of finding out how long this probate process will take for the transfer of assets to my wife and her sister? With their being a will in place we were hoping that the process would not be as cumbersome.
    Any advice would be great we are based in Dublin.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Generally in the past a year was a good estimate from time of death until fully sorted out, Covid may make it longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Generally in the past a year was a good estimate from time of death until fully sorted out, Covid may make it longer.

Thanks,
    She passed away in May and death certificates were issued last summer. Giving the grieving process and the personal challenge of facing it all the application was only completed online just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

If you call the probate phone line, there is an automated system which tells you which week they are currently processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Dealing with similar. Father in law passed away in September 2019. Will made out and no issues, house being bought by the person already living there that had rented it long term and all.paper work sorted. Still waiting on things to clear. Covid has really slowed absolutely everything down to a snail's pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

dobman88 wrote: »
    Dealing with similar. Father in law passed away in September 2019. Will made out and no issues, house being bought by the person already living there that had rented it long term and all.paper work sorted. Still waiting on things to clear. Covid has really slowed absolutely everything down to a snail's pace.
    Can I ask if you did it personally or through a solicitor? and was it made through forms or online using the SA.2 form?
    thanks and sorry for your loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Can I ask if you did it personally or through a solicitor? and was it made through forms or online using the SA.2 form?
    thanks and sorry for your loss

It's all being handled by her dads solicitor who is relaying information as it happens. They were told at the start it would be about 12 months but then covid came and now they're unsure of an "end date" so to speak. They didnt use the SA.2 form.

Thanks, yours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I was really lucky (obviously not for my Father to die), Dad died November 2019, everything was submitted on 28th of February 2020 to the Probate office, grant of Probate issued on the 21st of March, the solicitor couldn't believe it himself. I'm in Wexford which is known for being one of the fastest counties to complete. It's a horrible time, not something I'd care to repeat tbh.

Advertisement