Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramyard Dalkey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ted1 wrote: »
    The team yard is up for sale. I really like it the way it is. :( they managed to get an Aldi into the tram yard in Terenure :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dalkey-s-tramyard-on-0-58-acres-for-sale-at-2-million-1.2659061

With the obscene amount of money in the area, it would be nice if someone bought it and developed it in line with the way it is now rather than looking to make a profit by jamming in loads of apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The team yard is up for sale. I really like it the way it is. :( they managed to get an Aldi into the tram yard in Terenure :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dalkey-s-tramyard-on-0-58-acres-for-sale-at-2-million-1.2659061

I'm very surprised by this alright. Anytime I go there, it is jammed. I don't think that it will go the Terenure Tramyard route with the whole Aldi thing as that would be an absolute sacrilege.

Does anyone know which parts of the Dalkey Tramyard are Protected Structures or is it the whole lot (warehouses and all)?

I know that the remnants of the track infrastructure and the gates are protected features.

But, why on earth would they want to sell the Tramyard site if the Cafe is doing so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But, why on earth would they want to sell the Tramyard site if the Cafe is doing so well?

I can think of 2 million reasons ;)

I can think of 2 million reasons ;)

Would that be r€asons ;)?

I might as well bump this thread up too given that a planning application is to be submitted in the coming weeks according to Ossian Smyth and there won't be apartments. At least, that is what the following post in the Dalkey Open Forum on Facebook is saying:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rhona/permalink/2829631760420924/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Stick a halting site or a methadone clinic in there.

Stick a halting site or a methadone clinic in there.

That would be a disaster as many areas currently hosting those types of facilities have quickly turned into dumps. Thankfully, Ballywaltrim is no longer like that.

I assume you are joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

That would be a disaster as many areas currently hosting those types of facilities have quickly turned into dumps. Thankfully, Ballywaltrim is no longer like that.

I assume you are joking!

I would love to see how quickly the NIMBY's would jump on this if something as "disgusting" could ever be considered for Dalkey.....heaven forbid !!!!!!!!

The plans are now up and it sounds brilliant:

Planning Application

Also, there are photos on Facebook, compliments of Ossian Smyth:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rhona/permalink/2865153026868797/

It looks exactly like what is needed in the town.

The plans are now up and it sounds brilliant:

Planning Application

Also, there are photos on Facebook, compliments of Ossian Smyth:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rhona/permalink/2865153026868797/

It looks exactly like what is needed in the town.

For once myself and Patrick agree on a development. I love the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It looks brilliant, I hope it goes ahead. However I imagine there will be quite a few objections from people living in Whites Villas which will at the very least hold the project up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's Dalkey, off course there will be vociferous objections. Expect a further delay for ABP ruling.

78561796_10212934759723649_194381329234657280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=k4wHvj1oFL4AQnlo5p2Bj4xXkyl2xxETBaS_rHF3bcGsiPUlTrhxj1qkQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=4c63ef5263fe7e06d904e53b192443a7&oe=5E80D983

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's Dalkey, off course there will be vociferous objections. Expect a further delay for ABP ruling.

78561796_10212934759723649_194381329234657280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=k4wHvj1oFL4AQnlo5p2Bj4xXkyl2xxETBaS_rHF3bcGsiPUlTrhxj1qkQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=4c63ef5263fe7e06d904e53b192443a7&oe=5E80D983

Having taken another look at this photo, I do sympathise with those living in Whites Villas as it would be overbearing. Plus, the overall appearance and rendering of the building from this angle is extremely boxy looking.

Going by recent posts on the Dalkey Open Forum on Facebook, the general consensus is to object to the proposal. Furthermore, a meeting was held in the town hall about the development and the developers themselves didn't turn up. Other matters discussed included traffic generated and lack of parking to name but a few. From reading the proposals, the lack of parking seems to be a deliberate omission so as to not encourage cars to the now hypothetical amenity.

Having said all of this, the overall function of the proposal would be a very welcome addition as a focal point of the town. Contrary to what many people have said, I think the roof garden would be an excellent addition and a possible unique selling point. Nevertheless, it would have to be located towards the front of the proposal away from any view of peoples gardens.

The general consensus on the Dalkey Open Forum is to support it.

Who organised the meeting in the village hall ;) I only saw 1 mention of it on the forum. Was it the developer ? If not then why would he turn up.

As it stands there’s only 4 observations on it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hopefully it goes ahead, having dead space like that is no use to the town.

Dalkey is an odd one, great bars, great restaurants for evening meals but personally i find lunch / casual eating a little more restricted and there isnt really a decent coffee shop either unless you like mugs, but even that is no real use if you have small kids in tow.

I might as well bump this thread in light of Receipt of Further Information.

I've read through it and I really hope it is given the go ahead. I can see it being a new heart for the town which I think is needed now more than ever for post COVID-19 economic recovery.

I've also had a look at the submissions/observations. While some points are understandable, I still see the same parochial/insular mentality throughout. I had to laugh when I saw The Queens objections to an increase in noise levels when they operated The Vico (an ad-hoc nightclub) which was a massive noise generator itself. Now, I didn't have any issues with the venue myself as I have fond memories of the place. But, it comes off as hypocritical when a former nightclub operator complains of noise levels.

I might as well bump this thread in light of Receipt of Further Information.

I've read through it and I really hope it is given the go ahead. I can see it being a new heart for the town which I think is needed now more than ever for post COVID-19 economic recovery.

I've also had a look at the submissions/observations. While some points are understandable, I still see the same parochial/insular mentality throughout. I had to laugh when I saw The Queens objections to an increase in noise levels when they operated The Vico (an ad-hoc nightclub) which was a massive noise generator itself. Now, I didn't have any issues with the venue myself as I have fond memories of the place. But, it comes off as hypocritical when a former nightclub operator complains of noise levels.

You couldn’t open a packet of crisps in Dalkey without getting objections.
    They bang about it being a heritage town , yet cars are the main focus. And God Forbid you call it a village. It has a town hall don’t you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They bang about it being a heritage town , yet cars are the main focus. And God Forbid you call it a village. It has a town hall don’t you know.

it could be quite something if they pedestrianised it and got this tramyard development done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Ironically, this through traffic is one of the main reasons why it feels like a village not a town. Towns have focal points, dedicated civic spaces or squares where people can spend time, gather for meetings, celebrate festivities etc. Although lined with some fine establishments, Dalkey is just a road.

Planning permission has been granted with caveats such as no rooftop bar and other conditions. So, I'm feeling somewhat relieved.

The Rooftop Bar could've been a unique selling point. However, c'est la vie.

• Advertisement

Planning permission has been granted with caveats such as no rooftop bar and other conditions. So, I'm feeling somewhat relieved.

The Rooftop Bar could've been a unique selling point. However, c'est la vie.

Great. Let’s Hope the omission of a third floor still makes the project commercially attractive.

Advertisement