Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature student ucc

Options
  • 01-11-2018 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    Im a 36 year old man considering adult education and looking into doing a course in applied physcology, i know ill have to sit the msat test so i have two questions
    1.Is the msat difficult to pass?
    2. How difficult is it for a mature student assuming i got accepted to the course considering I've been working oitdoors all my life and really didnt bother my arse in secondary school?
    Any help or advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chancer2019

I returned as a mature student but luckily I didn't have to do the msat exam. Life as a mature student is no walk in the park. The biggest thing isn't making friends or getting through the work load, but actually the ability to cope with such restrictive finances. University is a lonely place as a mature student. If youre lucky there will be similar minded mature students in your course. Unfortunately, there wasn't for me and I found it quite hard but I coped with it just fine. The work load is very doable in first year so it will give you a nice footing for whats to come. The following years of your course will get increasingly difficult so you must be willing to go up and beyond out of your comfort zone to put in the effort in order to cope, and find something special within you to put in effort to do well. Its a constant struggle when you have a social/family life to maintain. I don't mean to put you off but I am giving you an honest opinion from my perspective and experience. The light at the end of the tunnel will be far more rewarding than any outdoor work you've done before. I went from landscaping to teaching. I wasn't the best student in the world and I'm not the best teacher in the world but I followed my dream and here I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 john343

I returned as a mature student but luckily I didn't have to do the msat exam. Life as a mature student is no walk in the park. The biggest thing isn't making friends or getting through the work load, but actually the ability to cope with such restrictive finances. University is a lonely place as a mature student. If youre lucky there will be similar minded mature students in your course. Unfortunately, there wasn't for me and I found it quite hard but I coped with it just fine. The work load is very doable in first year so it will give you a nice footing for whats to come. The following years of your course will get increasingly difficult so you must be willing to go up and beyond out of your comfort zone to put in the effort in order to cope, and find something special within you to put in effort to do well. Its a constant struggle when you have a social/family life to maintain. I don't mean to put you off but I am giving you an honest opinion from my perspective and experience. The light at the end of the tunnel will be far more rewarding than any outdoor work you've done before. I went from landscaping to teaching. I wasn't the best student in the world and I'm not the best teacher in the world but I followed my dream and here I am.

Agreed, went to uni at 35. Between the limited finances and other commitments I found it vey tough, only five mature students in my course and by second year only two of us was left. The other chap was an international student so the banter wasn't great. In the end I just found it too lonely, tried fitting in with the younger students but that was a task in itself so I dropped out as the stress was getting to me mentally etc.

Advertisement