Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freemasons: Evil secret society or misunderstood nice guys...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Looked at their web site yesterday, it does seem like a bunch of harmless old gaffers dressed up like twats - but of course that's what they'd have you believe.

Interesting to find that the Grand Masonic Lodge in Dublin has a mere 67 members, and it's the largest lodge. Even given that this is just one of some 16 Dublin based lodges, the overall membership would be less than the size of your average golf club. Hardly world dominating stuff. Which would also explain their, seeminly genuine, desire for new members.

Oh, Dev, if you are going visiting, maybe you should get a blood test done beforehand. After all, if David Icke is right, and they DO replace you with a 12ft klizard (in disguise) we'd want some way to know if we're getting the real you back.:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 viruswithshoes

Originally posted by sunbeam
    So are there any similar organisations for women?

The mothers union and the ICA

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by Borzoi

Oh, Dev, if you are going visiting, maybe you should get a blood test done beforehand. After all, if David Icke is right, and they DO replace you with a 12ft klizard (in disguise) we'd want some way to know if we're getting the real you back.:D :D

I always wanted to ask David Icke how they could possibly fit a 12 foot lizard inside my weak and puny body. I mean, all my muscles have atrophied from computer use!

Anyway, unless these Lizards have my memory, he's not going to be able to login. (thats if his claws actually can be typed with).

Fvck actually come to think of it being a 12 foot blood drinking lizard would ROCK!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Freemasonary is an old and honurable organisatio
    Membership is open to all "men of integrity and goodwill, irrespective of colour or creed, on condition that they profess a belief in a Supreme Being". How they choose to worship that supreme being is up to them and is of no interest to other masons

I suspose being a mason is a bit like a club for people who share common interests and more importantly beliefs which are :

Brotherly Love : A true Freemason will show tolerance and respect for the opinions of others and behave with kindness and understanding.

Relief :Freemasons are taught to practise charity, and to care, not only for their own, but also for the community as a whole, both by charitable giving, and by voluntary efforts and works as individuals.

Truth :Freemasons strive for truth, requiring high moral standards and aiming to achieve them in their own lives.

Charity:From its earliest days, Freemasonry has been concerned with the care of orphans, the sick and the aged.

Freemasonry and Society:
    Freemasonry demands from its members a respect for the law of the land. Freemasonary principles do not in any way conflict with its members' duties as citizens.

The use by a Freemason of their membership to promote his own or anyone else's business, professional or personal interests is condemned, and is contrary to the conditions on which he sought admission to Freemasonry.

Secrecy:
    The secrets of Freemasonry are concerned with its traditional modes of recognition. It is not a secret society, since all members are free to acknowledge their membership and will do so in response to inquiries for respectable reasons. Its constitutions and rules are available to the public. There is no secret about any of its aims and principles. Like many other societies, it regards some of its internal affairs as private matters for its members.

Freemasonry and Politics:
    Freemasonry is non-political, and the discussion of politics at Masonic meetings is forbidden.

What else can i say

ps the female equivilent is the order of the eastern star

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats what I've been told. Can you tell me where your information comes from? You seem reasonable and knowledgeable, I'd like to know your source for this information (either on this thread or via PM)...

Their website expresses such goals too and they seem laudable so its hard to reconcil that with preconceptions I've had...

DeV.

Originally posted by viruswithshoes
    These are "prod" schools, this is because most irish masons are prodtestant (see my earlier post), but if you want your kid to go to Blackrock/Gonzaga/Belvo then it could be acceptable (not clongowes though, ****ing jesuit bastards ) .

Actually, ironically Blackrock, Gonzaga AND Belvo are all Jesuit outfits (I went to Belvo myself and thought it a fine school to be honest).
    Just thought I'd straighten that out :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Not a member <although intruiged>, but... There is an eserotic side to the masons <i did a fair bit of research into this area> which is freely available to members but not actually a part of the group. Crowley's "Golden Dawn" was in fact a masonic order who had (supposedly) disappeared. Crowley himself was never really a mason however as he had joined a fraud lodge set up by an expelled member. So his Golden Dawn had very little to do with the real one <although I think they shared some of the rituals>.

To conclude, 90% of masonic activities are VERY dull, but if you go looking in the right places i'm sure there are some very interesting 12 foot lizards out there. :p

Can you tell me where your information comes from?

Sure

Iam Irish and catholic although I live in Scotland, I was asked by a friend in Ireland if I would be interested in becoming a freemason, and through him and my own research learnt most of what I know. I thought long and hard about joining and talked it through with a few folk and decided I would join but things change and my family and work commitments changed and I decided that I couldnt be able to give the commitment necessary to be an active member. When I went to Scotland I was invited to join a lodge in the town I live in. Can I say that on both occasions I pointed out that I was Irish and Catholic and on both occasions was advised that it didnt matter, because the invite was for me as a person and an individual and not because of any other reason. Since then the number of catholics and irish people I have met who are members is astounding.

So, the consensus seems to be "misunderstood ... if a little odd..."

I'm going down with my mate to the Grand Lodge for a drink soon, I'll let you all know when I do how it goes. I'm sure (from what I've read) that they are nice enough.

If I'm not back, send the Mythos Investigators after me :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Enjoy your night out and ask to see the museum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Its strange but there is a Perceptory of The Knights Templar (cue lightning and thunder clap sound effect) in the Molesworth street Lodge:

precept_room.jpg

Theres something very Pythagorean about the two groups given there shared near-religous adoration of 'eternal sacred' geometry.

Anyone see From Hell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Lot of Christian imagery too

Ask him to show you the room with the stars painted on the ceiling, my dad says its pretty cool (not exactly the phrase that he used)

From what I can determine there are two basic strands of Masonry (I'm getting to be a regular font of knowledge about them, its kinda interesting actually).

The first is Craft Masonry which appears to be Regular Joe Masonry... its the one that anyone can join and there dont seem to be restrictions on entry etc. Their history seems to be from the Stone Masons and their traditions reflect that (Stone mason aprons and compasses and set-squares etc).
    This seems to be the more widely followed strand but I cant be sure about that...

The second is Knight Masonry, who claim to be descended from the Knights Templar (though this seems disputed, even by the Masons themselves). This is the Christian strand and its limited to people who are Christian believers. You are asked to join I think.
    It has something to do with "the Scottish Rite" afaict....
    I'm presuming that the Preceptory belongs to the latter.

I could find no descernible link to the KKK and indeed there seems to have been a move to include Africans in the Masons in the 1800's through something called Prince Hall which I have not found anything further about.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

As Corinthian pointed out there are a hell of a lot of groups that have some historical link to Freemasonry. The Orange Lodge and Royal Black Preceptory certainly make heavy use of FM symbolism. The P2 Lodge is a fascinating subject all to itself.

Someone mentioned the Golden Dawn earlier, and they certainly seem to have some FM influence, but Crowley's OTO definitely grew out of the ashes of a FM Lodge. Gardnerian Wicca has some definite borrowings from FM, which has since influenced other forms of Witchcraft (in particular the terms "The Craft", "Cowan" and "Neither bound nor free" and a large chunk of the First Degree Initiation rite are completely nicked from the Masons). (See [Hutton, 2000])

Going back earlier Freemasonry was part of genteel society of many towns throughout Europe and the Americas and as such it is generally more significant if you find a group that had few Masons as its members than if you find one with a heavy overlap.

Hence the KKK link is likely true but insignificant, ditto the American Constitution, Orange Order, and probably half the volunteer fire services, literary appreciation societies and charity dinners.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd have to say that the use of shared symbols bothers me not at all.

I mean, but the KKK and the RC Church use crosses... doesnt prove a connection.

I ended up in the Grand Lodge for a night of (as it turned out) fairly serious drinking (at 3 euro a pint of Guinness... wouldnt you!)

The people there seemed really pleasant. In fact, almost keen to make sure you left with what they see as the "truth" about FM's, that its a group of well meaning men who do charitable works and have a fairly hefty lump of tradition and symbolism behind them but nothing to hide.

Actually they were extremely open with me even when I pressed them on a few questions regarding their ceremonies and rituals. They acknowledged that there is a secret handshake but also pointed out that you can find it on the web if you look hard enough and that its more traditional then anything else.

To be honest maybe it was the drink but after a while I actually thought they were fairly decent blokes. They certainly didnt come accross as all pious or anything and there was a fair bit of joking and laughter. They take it all very seriously though when you are talking about Freemasonry and seemed to have a rational explanation for everything.

I have to say, this sort of thing can bend your brain as you start to think things like "well of course they'd say that" or "I wonder if they are trying to recruit me" etc...
    In the end you can never know. I mean, who do you trust?

I trust my mate, I dont think he's mixed up in anything underhand but you cant shake the idea once its in your head....
    All the same, the kind old gentlemen I met last night certainly are *not* having naked orgies, communing with aliens or are 12 foot lizards in disguise. At worst they are conservatives but even that was knocked on its head as my mate is very definitely not.
    Politics is not a topic for discussion apparently (I didnt realise and talked about the Budget, which is apparently ok...) and religion is considered a devisive topic which doesnt assist brotherly companionship...

I can tell you that what I saw last night did change my perception, I wouldnt say I'm about to sign on the dotted line now or anything but I've clearly been quite wrong about certain aspects of them... which is an opportunity to learn I guess.

Whats been at least as weird is the number of people I know who have contacted me since this whole investigation started to tell me what they know of them or that they are a FM or they are related to a FM etc.

DeVore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I did a search for the handshake on the googlenet and found out my suspicions over a handshake I have had in the recent past. It seems that this person was in fact a Freemason after this handshake. To be honest I didn't like the handshake at the time, I felt it a little too... violating as he had a suspicious air about him when doing it, but I guess after all has been said now, maybe it is understandable.

Interesting DeVore.

I met last night certainly are *not* having naked orgies
    It's interesting to look at the history of conspiracy theories that have arisen about various groups.
    The "they-all-have-naked-orgies-and-eat-babies" conspiracy theory first arose around the first century B.C.E. about some of the less orthodox groupings within the Hellenic Greek traditions, and *may* be based on actual practices from the pre-historic period.
    One of the earliest groups to have the accusation levelled against them was the Christians (during the whole being-fed-to-lions period). Who promptly started accusing other groups of Christians to themselves (hence explaining why they were accused to begin with as well as sticking the knive into the other sect).
    When Rome converted the accusation then fell on those Romans who kept to the old beliefs. Then on Vandals, Goths, Gnostics, Essenes, Cathars, Templars, Franciscans (the Franciscans came very close to being banned once), and Witches.
    When there was nobody in particular to accuse they'd accuse the Jews.

The "they-are-plotting-to-take-over-the-world" conspiracy theory also goes back a bit. It has a bit more credence since there have indeed been people who have tried to take over the world (or at least a good deal of it) from time to time (of which Gengis Khan was the most successful).
    The conspiracy theory in it's current form, as fervently believed by in-bred rednecks everywhere, is the accusation against the Jews based on the forged "Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion" that was created by Czarist secret-police for rather straight-forward political ends, but which chimed with what idiots throughout the world already believed, and as such you can still find people stupid enough to believe this crap.
    Variations on it have appeared accusing other groups (such as the Masons) which either were based on the same conspiracy theory, or else claimed that they were linked to the same conspiray theory.
    My favourite version is that Wiccans were taking over the world through a mixture of government overspending and Ozzy Osborne! (We were meant to have succeeded by June 21 1999, so I guess we must have been a bit tardy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Is that the one where they press down on your middle knuckle with their thumb? Will noone help the widow's son?!?

Interesting to know there's an old Templar gaff on Molesworth street, I may visit it. Anyone know anymore about the Knights Templar? Apparently they got too powerful for the King of France's like (Charlemagne??), and he got the pope to excommunicate them. After that they were hunted down and eradicated (apparently). But then 200 years later some dead scottish guys wearing Templar gear were found at the battle of Stirling bridge? Some survived by going into hiding in remote monasteries in Ireland/Scotland.

With regard to geometric symbols/patterns I'm sure that most people have heard the theory that (all/many???) Cathedrals constructed during the Dark Ages (by Stonemasons strangely enough) had all their angles/proportions/ratios deliberately constructed to illustrate various mathematical concepts such as pi, log2 etc. The thinking is that the Stonemasons saw themselves as the keepers of knowledge in a world about to destroy itself, so they constructed the Cathedrals as vast repositories of hidden knowledge.

All in all I think the Stonemasons (freemasons whatever) were the greatest scientific minds during the dark ages and we owe them a huge debt. Contrast this with the Church, who kept itself busy retarding development and slaughtering freethinkers. The Albigensian Crusade (the first crusade, 1100/1200???) was directed at the people of the Languedoc region of southwestern France (NOT AT MOSLEMS!!!). These people had become far too enlightened for their own good (HERESY!) and millions were wiped out. The region had become prosperous and cultured, causing jealousy in northern european nations (who provided hordes of crusaders/génocidaires). Indeed, Pope Innocent II (!!), when asked by a Crusader - "Holiness, how shall we distinguish between the heretics and the faithful?", gave the infamous answer "Kill them all, god will recognise his own!!!". Overtures of the Emperor from StarWars there...

Why has noone mentioned the Prioré de Sion??

Why has noone mentioned the Prioré de Sion??
    Because it wasn't actually meant to be a full survey of all such groups?
    However just for balance I shall now mention the Rosicrucians, Theosophical Society, Jesuits[1], Fellowship of Isis, British Military[2], SAS[3], Rosicrucian Theatre, Woodland Civilary Movement, Horseman's Word, Thelema, various Druidic Orders, Gnostics, Enochian Magicians, several obscure sects in Kurdistan of vaguely Judeo-Christian-Islamic origin, Church of Satan, Settians, Process Church, Thugs[4], Celtic Revival, Hellfire Club(s), Cainites, Antinomians, Ordo Draco, and Spin Solutions.
    All of whom are of course trying to take over the world.
    Consider the above names dropped :)

[1]There is the theory that the Jesuits grew out of the more convention members of the Templars.
    [2]Notice the use of ancient runic symbols by the quatermasters.
    [3]Notice the use of "Wings of Isis" in regimental symbol.
    [4]As in the sect, not the derogatory term.

• Advertisement

Spin Solutions? Dunno what you are talking about mate ...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bee JJ

Originally posted by AgentX
    33,000 members in Ireland, so are there any bad apples or are Fr33masun**s all very good?

IN THE 1970s there were allegations in connection with unsolved bomb attacks in Italy that secret service agents, clandestine *Freeemasooon**s (members of the P2 Masonic Lodge), mafiosi and right-wing extremists were conspiring to destabilise Italy to provoke a coup. Renewed "P2" activity was reported in 1992 and connections between the mafia and Feemasu***s were openly acknowledged

Although Free****s speak fervently about how moralistic their organisation is, that does not mean it is immune to a few bad apples. The late John Furze, the senior figure at the Cayman Islands end of the secretive Ansbacher Deposits operation (used to defraud the Irish Revenue of millions of pounds from the 1970s to the mid 1990s), was a *********

Fee*****ry denies the Catholic faith. God commanded, "You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve." *********ry does not acknowledge Christ's revelation of the Blessed Trinity or anything else in His public revelation. Jesus said, Jn 14:6 "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." In fact, it pointedly rejects Christianity as a truth.

The Scottish Rite, an appendant Masonic body, in its Knight Kadosh (30th) degree, requires that the candidate stab a skull with a papal tiara, and a skull on which is a crown, saying, "Down with imposture! Down with crime!" In the fourth oath the Knight Kadosh again focuses on the "cruel and cowardly Pontiff, who sacrificed to his ambition the illustrious order of those Knights Templar of whom we are the true successors." All present then trample on the papal tiara while shouting "Down with imposture!" *********ry's conflict with the Catholic Church is veiled in the Blue Lodge, but here the veil is lifted to reveal hatred.
    By 1653, Catholic resistance in Ireland was at an end. Catholic land-owners were largely dispossessed, as Cromwell had been using confiscated land to pay off the back pay he owed to the army. The English had completely subjugated the entire island, by a combination of massacres, pestilence, and starvation which was estimated to have killed between half and two-thirds of the Irish people. Thousands of others were shipped off into slavery in the American colonies and the West Indies. Those who could began to flee to Europe.

Worse followed when the English Parliament declared that after May 1, 1654, under penalty of death, no Irish could live east of the River Shannon and only those who could prove they had not been rebels could own land west of the Shannon. All the land east of the Shannon was divided among Protestant settlers.
    Cromwell started out 1654 by making peace with the Dutch in April. He also established the first *********'s Lodge in London, which is why the Catholics still don't trust the *********s (because it was started by Cromwell). In September, the first Protectorate Parliament was seated. The first thing they wanted to do was rewrite the Constitution. Cromwell booted them out after a year and resorted to open military government, dividing England into 11 districts, each administered by a major-general.

The triumphant Protestants retired to Dan Winter's Inn in Loughgall and there and then founded the Orange Order. Taking a leaf from the Defender's book, they too modelled their organisation on *********ry (which is not surprising in that several of the organisation's founders were already *********s). Thus from *********ry they took the four tier lodge system (primary, district, county and grand lodges), ceremonial (e.g. initiation rituals), symbolism and oath-bound secrecy. Official Orange historians maintain that the Orange Order was formed because the Masonic Order had proved ambivalent when Protestant members had appealed to it for help against the Catholic threat.

Two years later the Black Institution was formed and though its origins are officially shrouded, it's believed it was founded by disaffected Masons after many of their brethren were involved in the United Irishmen Rebellion of 1798. Thus it was formed on similar lines to Masonry (e.g. it has 12 'degrees' through which initiates can pass), but is pledged to loyalty to the Crown.

The ruling class in Ireland was at first opposed to the Orange Order. However as the war with France went on and the United Irish Movement was increasingly taken over by Catholic Defenders, preaching rebellion rather than the constitutional struggle initially espoused by the Protestant founder of the United Irishmen, Wolfe Tone, they began to support it as a counter-revolutionary movement The Government's response to the failed 1798 Rebellion was to pass the Act of Union -against which the Orange Order was the loudest opponent! Only when Catholic Emancipation came in 1829 did they go over to the side of Unionism which is where they have remained to this day. As Orangeism grew in Ireland it developed a second 'degree', the Purple. A separate self-governing 'degree' also arose called the 'Royal Arch Purple'. Only those who have passed through the Orange and Purple degrees can be admitted to it and only those who have passed through these three degrees can be admitted to the Black Institution. It's significant that when the Order was persuaded to drop oath-binding secrecy (scarcely proper in a loyal organisation as it threatened to undermine the legal system - though the oath was replaced by a promise binding to secrecy) the Royal Arch Purple maintained its oath of secrecy. In its rituals Orangemen would admit the Royal Arch Purple most closely resembles Masonry.

The Influence of *********ry
    Covenanters strongly reject *********ry as an antichristian pseudo-religion. Yet *********ry has strongly influenced Orangeism, not just in its organisational structure and ritualism, but in the way it presents itself with its display of grand titles and regalia with mysterious symbolism.

In Britain, although the United Grand Lodge of England does not accept women, there are several lodges that are women-only and one, the Co-Masons, which is mixed, but "they are not officially recognised by us or by the United Grand Lodge of England," says Barry Lyons. "Until there is a groundswell of objection from the younger members, this men-only policy won't change.

I noticed most of the posters here may be masuns

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

note away, we all wanted to find about them, please dont start ranting on this thread as you will get it locked

be civil and dont talk sh1t about people you dont know

Originally posted by monument
    note away, we all wanted to find about them, please dont start ranting on this thread as you will get it locked

be civil and dont talk sh1t about people you dont know

The post was Civil
    and Factual
    Not
    Originally posted by monument
    sh1t

as you would call it.

Note on
    Civility
    Quote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...?threadid=46807
    Every poster is entitled to their opinion - Never attack a poster.
    ( Wrote by Bonkey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

No, although I'm reliably informed that we DO have some 12 foot high blood drinking lizards in the house tonight! Give them a round of applause ladies and gentlemen!

You know, a funny thing happened to me on the way to the Humanities board tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 VETov

Freemasons
    Well understood evil secret society,,,,,
    For Example ,,,,,,
    ,,,,......Bush is a Freemason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Got any proof VETov? Or is this just well known in Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm sure those crazy commas and full stops in VETov's post are some kind of masonic code! He's communicating with his lizard brethren! WE ARE NOT SAFE IN OUR BEDS!

Seriously, this was a pretty interesting thread for ages before the crazies arrived. Whose stupid idea was it to install free net access terminals in secure mental institutions in the first place?

One thing I have found alright is that US Freemasonry is very different to Irish FM.

There are US "Lodges" which are not formally recoginised, that involve themselves with politics (similar to the P2 crowd in Italy).
    The FM's I spoke too actually told me about the P2 crowd (even though I knew about them before) which impressed me as they could have said nothing hoping I didnt know.

Such "lodges" are not recognised, they are not allowed visit Irish lodges, they are not allowed visit US Lodges which are part of Irish Freemasonry and the Irish FM's arent allowed go visit them at their lodge. They cant stop them calling themselves FM's or using the symbols (which arent copywritten) but they dont seem to play ball with them.
    Anyway if we are talking "political subversion via club membership" then on that same grounds you could accuse most golfclubs in Ireland!

I'm not done investigating yet though I've learned a lot about the good and bad history of the FM's. Some of it is pretty mind blowing!

DeV.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bee JJ

Actually *any* of the posters here may be masons (its spelt with an "o" btw).

Though I'm bemused by the fact that you "noticed" "most" of us may be masons.... thats pretty fast research for someone who just joined (supposedly).

Actually anyone seems to be able to join them (women join a different branch to men) you dont need to be related to a mason or save ones life or any of that nonsense.

But I'll save you the time of accusing me. No I'm not a freemason but from what I've seen (and I've done a lot more of the actual hard slog work of research in the last few months, something that seems to be "out of fashion" with people who dont like facts) they seem like a bunch of blokes who get together once a month, have some regalia surrounding them and do some charity work.
    I'm certainly a lot LESS concerned about my friend then I was before (when I considered it a cult).

Of course, I'm only saying that because they got to me.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It isn't clear what their stance on women is like (ooerr). I mean can women join?

Again I asked why they segregated the sexes and my mate (not normally given to humour but can have dry wit at times) said "Its a fraturnity Tom, it kinda goes with the territory. " with a kinda "duh!" tone to his voice.

Apparently there is some other sororiety type thing for female masons (it was mentioned earlier in the thread), called Eastern something or other.
    I didnt really ask. Personally I dont see any problem with a gender-only segregation so long as they arent state funded and it isnt proping up or perpetuating and existing status quo...

(ie: have men (or women) only golf clubs if you want, but dont use them to excluded women from business opportunity discussions... which is exactly what happens).

DeV.

Originally posted by MiCr0
    how about this for secret?

http://www.irish-freemasons.org/want_to_join.htm

yeah Micro, that page kinda surprised me too when I read it.... they are either telling HUGE whoopers of lies or the common perception of them has been twisted pretty seriously...

Coming from the point of view, 6 months ago, that I wouldnt have remained in the same room as a Freemason out of protest at what I understood them to be, I have to admit to a certain feeling of surprise at how I wasnt more analytical in my views (something I like to pride myself on usually)...

It comes back to the issue of trust... two people telling you two different (diametrically opposed) pieces of information. Both claiming theirs is true and you have no more metrics or empirical data on which to base your judgement. What do you do? (this isnt about FM's its about any situation where thats true).

I know I'm wanging on about this now :) but I find the whole topic curiously fascinating. Imagine if they really were the good guys they claim to be... how could they prove that to a world full of conspiracy rumours. Imagine if they were the bad guys... how could a person or group get that information out there without being called a conspiracy nut?

Maybe I should think less about these kinds of things and more about football.. or tits... or something. I dunno.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Must say, I hadn't thought much about the Freemasons before I started following this thread. The extent of my knowledge was that Simpsons episode. If what's been said here is true, it does appear to be a pretty non-weird thing and their evil reputation is completely unwarranted.

Just out of curiosity DeV, what exactly were your preconceptions about the FM's? Surely you didn't believe they were actually communicating with aliens or were in fact lizards? :]

Interesting question Pie...

The truth be told the extent of my knowledge wasnt far beyond that Simpsons episode either.

6 months ago I wouldnt have shook the hand of a mason.

My perception of them was as a closed shop, highly political, quasi-religious group along the lines of Opus Dei or Youth Defence (both of whom I have done research into and come out the other side pretty much hating them more!).
    I understood them to be the western equivalent of a personal level "keiretsu"
    cf: http://www.keiretsu.de/ and more descriptively http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci518852,00.html

I intended to research them to see under the hood. What I've found is challenging alright... they play with some heavy symbolism for sure but nothing threatening as far as I am concerned. They profess beliefs that, truth be told, most of us would agree with.

Looking beyond that I've found a lot of conflicting opinions and historical facts.
    I've tried to stick to the facts mostly, not trusting anyone. Better investigative technique I guess :)
    People say they are a men-only club yet they built female only schools in the 1800's before women even had the vote afaik.
    People say they are stealth-christianity yet I've seen books of the Koran, buddist scripture and Seikh law venerably on display.
    People say they are nazis but the irish lodge was the first to found Black freemasons in the 1700's when slavery was still going. (cf: Prince Hall), and the Nazis hunted and exterminated freemasons in the concentration camps as friends of the Jews.

I'd have been one of those "people"... now I find myself not knowing what to think...
    Freaky and Weird? yeah probably but then when I stated playing online gaming and talking about the possibility of going to France as a national team most non-gamers I knew thought I was freaky and weird. Being into roleplaying from an early age I've grown up with peoples suspicision of anything unusual. Fecksake, Boards.ie itself is a bit weird :)

Stuff like this
    http://www.irish-freemasons.org/non-masonic.htm
    is hard to argue against with conspiracy theory.

I'm not religious... in fact I despise earthly religions as parasites on the human spirit.

I'm not superstitious in fact my last mobile phone number deliberately had 666 on the end of it because I thought it would weird people out :)
    I dont avoid ladders etc (apart from on safety reasons!)

I'm a mathematician so I'm logical and analytical. I would pride myself on seeing what is real and meaningful from bull**** and smoke.

I guess I'm changing my mind, which is ok. I hate people who have their opinions set in stone... as a result they have the mind of a rock.

DeV.

Originally posted by Gordon
    It isn't clear what their stance on women is like (ooerr). I mean can women join?

My dad told me a story about a woman who once snuck into a meeting in England to observe.

When she was discovered they got her to join because then she would have to take the oath.

To my knowledge she is the only woman to ever join.

Hmmm, dunno about that, sounds like an urban myth (albeit an interesting one :) )

The queen is an honourary freemason in England. (one interesting thing I found out is that the English lodge could all stand on their heads and it doesnt affect the Irish Lodge one bit... they are totally separate entities...)

I'll root around for info on female freemasonry though the way it has been explained to me, one of the main components of Freemasonry is the esprit-de-corp that men often find more desirable then women.

I've been musing over whether its morally right to have gender/creed/age/colour specific social venues.

I find it hard to accept that a "whites only" social club, though I've no problem with Christian-only groups (so long as they stay the hell away from me!).
    There are plenty of "women-only" feminist groups (while I was in Trinity they expelled their male members on the grounds that they would intimidate rape-victims...)
    So, I'm ambivalent about their "men-only" rule as I can see their point about it being a fraturnity... though I would be guarded against it having a positive effect on social/business standing of the members. Exclusion from "being all you can be" is wrong.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Actually it seems historically accurate (apologies to Virus and his dad :) )

http://www.bessel.org/helmer/female.htm

Though it was in the 18th century :)

DeV.

Ok, now for a bit of light relief from all this heavy research and thinking.

Appropos of nothing (and PLEASE do not let these links sway you either way, they are purely for pointing and laughing) I have collected some of the classic neurotic conspiracy theory links I've come accross during my research.

Now, all the PRO-FM sites all more or less say the same thing, as you might expect. Read one, you've read most of them. The www.irish-freemasons.org seems to be one of the best actually, despite the dodgy html...

The anti FM sites are harder to research. Some of them are just plain nuts, others seem normal but then if you research the author you often find he's a raving Christian loony.
    Theres something that makes me like the FM's more since the Christian fundies seem to hate them so much but I try not to let that colour my research.

Anyway, here are some of the truly nutsoid pages I've found... you have to wonder about the very very odd people out there...

http://www.livingbreadcrumbs.com/Prayer/breaking_freemason_curses.htm

http://www.texemarrs.com/

http://www.despatch.cth.com.au/Misc/Graham3.htm

http://www.rense.com/general31/satanic.htm

http://www.rense.com/general31/satanic.htm

http://www.livegem.net/jesusisback/3.htm

That last one is an absolute classic.

Of course www.chick.com is the granddaddy of them all. :)

Now, I've no doubt there are pages on the P2 incident in Italy, the freemasons in the police in england and other dodgy dealings (and I've read much of that too) but I thought I'd let you see the loony ravings I've had to wade through to find them!

Enjoy and ... be afraid :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I realise its slightly off topic by now but the whole story behind the knights templar is very intresting stuff. I had a pretty good poke around about them a year or so ago; if i can ill dig up some of the links about them.

They've something to do with Knight Masonry which is slightly different to Craft Masonry. I wouldnt mind knowing a bit more about them ... afaik its some Christian-based wing of FM's which raises my hackles (not mad about Christians, although a good mate of mine was a priest oddly enough... he died of cancer in case you are wondering about the past tense...)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

From what ive gathered from digging around, http://www.templarhistory.com/history.html seems to be pretty accurate. Its certainly an intresting read, with it edging off into quasi-conspiracy theory elsewhere on the site (apparently the knights templar founded the country that we know today to be switzerland..)

I cant find the links yet, but i also remember seeing the knights templar being tied into the Oak Island money pit, clan wars in scotland in the 14th century, numerous references to the knights templar founding the freemasons. They are/were the supposed guardians of the holy grail for many centurys (& the ark of the covenant to a lesser extent), along with apparently quite advanced knowledge of mathmatics, astronomy and physics. By some they are seen as the keepers ad guardians of lost knowledge from another time, throught the dark ages. Im sure theres lots more if you have a poke around :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/avalon1990/

This is one of two things. Paranoia personifed or the unbelievable truth! Seriously though, reading and laughing through this you have to admit, the thought just that just one of these things might be true sneaks into your head.

• Advertisement

Thats it though, isnt it Dotsie... I'm a mathematician which means I *should* be able to descern between meaningful fact and paranoid fiction and by and large I've done so but I know what you mean... you start thinking "hey, no smoke without fire" which is the last argument of people with poor logic skills.

I've yet to actually find much of actual independant information, most sources are biased one way or another. I've really enjoyed the research though!

DeV.

No i dont think so Devore, not poor logic. That healthy suspicion im sure has saved a lot of people a lot of hasstle. Secondly i do believe firmly that there is a conspiracy of wealthy bankers that has operated for a long time and does so even more today (and no i dont believe its zionist simply elitest). Take a look at the book commissioned by Ezra Pound (friend and mentor to T.S. Elliot, J. Joyce & W.B. Yeats) on the the US Red. Reserve. By the end i couldnt believe how much of the worlds money is simply made with smoke and mirrors and how few people actually own it (US Fed is owned by private banks). Whether that conspiracy goes deeper i cannot and probably will not ever know. Theres so much crazy political, religious shít mixed with the truth its impossible its discern.

Anyway do read that book, its short and online. You will find it highly interesting.

Save target as: this is the doc file.

Oh, i alse believe Georgr Bush is the anti-christ.

Here.

No seriously :-P. Its starnge how well he fits in with biblical predictions. He actually makes my skin crawl when he talks about justice and god and all that bollix. You know that feeling when u can tell that someone is just lying to your face? Alright so maybe he isnt the anti-christ. But one thing im sure of :) hes a man with no conscience, capable sending people to death. Dangerous people them.

I worked in corporate banking for a good while , if you are telling me that the vast majority of the worlds money is controlled by an elite few who decide who gets what... I can tell you already thats true. I dont need to read anything more to know that.

I can tell you from running my own company that there are more scumbags and villians in the upper echelons of power then you could comfortably shake a stick at.
    They wear smiling faces while they screw the poor and powerless so they can have another yacht.

So, what can you do about it? Feck all really.. I mean you can only control what YOU do and try and set a good example I guess.
    Nice guys dont have to come last but they DO have the cards stacked against them.

I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl both since I started Spin Solutions and before. Immoral sh|t that tests whether you are only protesting or if you are really going to walk away.

Thats why I wanted to get my mate "out" of the FM but instead I dont know what to think of them now because my preconceptions have been challenged by a reality I cant ignore.

If you think its easy to be a moral person, its most likely that you dont have the power to have to face those sorts of decisions. If you do, you know it can be the lonliest and most frightening decision you can face.

DeV.

Btw, "healthy suspicion" is all well and good but not if it becomes prejudice and stops you seeing facts...

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement