Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons: Evil secret society or misunderstood nice guys...

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the masons give generously to charities and fund the education of deprived kids. unlike other groups they do not make a hulabulu about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

For those Freemasons who post here, and are interested, a new Irish Masonic forum has just been launched here: http://www.masonic.ie/forum/index.php

not to take away from the discussions we have on boards.ie, but maybe to add an extra dimension. Or provide somewhere we can conspire to take over the world in peace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I hear Freemason I think this:

Stonecutter_homer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

there is a secret [joke] builderberger meeting in spain between june the 3rd and the 6th,it will be interesting to note how many of the new uk goverments ministers turn up in spain durung that time,on tax payers money no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Absolam wrote: »
    Again with the same wild accusations. As previously discussed (ad nauseum) in the thread, the police depts in the UK weren't reformed due to masonic influence; they were reformed due to criminal influence. Some of the criminals had masonic connections, as did some of the police investigating them. As did a lot of people not involved in the cases. This was a matter of criminality, not Freemasonry. And how 'the higher echelons prosper from the membership' isn't covered in the thread, because it's a ridiculous statement.
    Wat to go, WTG? Absalom.
    It does me good to see such a calm, polite response to that kind of stuff, and early in the day too. Sort of sets the tone, so to speak. Keep it up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

I met a guy last week whose father is the head of the freemasons in Dublin,
    in fact his father is the top Freemason in the country.

Now I would be quite friendly with this particular guy - we happen to be both doing the same 17 week long course, he's a very genuine down to earth person from a very affluent family. Well when I heard his father was a top Freemason - I didn't quite know how to react and I think I was a little rude in fact and we ended the converstion by him saying "I myself am not a Freemason - so don't judge me by my father" (he is also fully convinced it is a very benign organisation), and I said something like "Well I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I'm judging you because of your father - but I have to admit I don't like them (the Freemasons)."

Now things are a little tense between us and I kinda feel like I owe him an apology for how I reacted. After all I have no first hand knowledge of the org.

Having said that my understanding is that at the lower levels (I would still consider being a top Freemason in Ireland fairly low level) the organisation passes itself off as being a mainly chartiable org. however at the very top levels some say they worship Lucifer. Who the heck knows - still though I think I'll apologise to the guy.

As other people have pointed out if they have nothing to hide why are thye still a secret org?

I don't like them and as they say there is no smoke without fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

rhonda15 wrote: »
    Having said that my understanding is that at the lower levels (I would still consider being a top Freemason in Ireland fairly low level) the organisation passes itself off as being a mainly chartiable org. however at the very top levels some say they worship Lucifer. Who the heck knows - still though I think I'll apologise to the guy.

Please stop lying. There are many masons on this thread, and in fact many senior masons on this thread. Myself included. There is no devil worshipping, or goat raping. If you'd bother to read through the thread, you'd know that.

It's pretty insulting to have someone revive this thread every other month with "I know someone who knows someone and they're evil" or other nonsense. We're out there literally raising millions for charity and medical research, and having a good time while we're at it. People like you are confusing the Masons with the conspiracy theory of the illuminati. There's a conspiracy theory forum for such nonsense.
    As other people have pointed out if they have nothing to hide why are thye still a secret org?

We're not a secret organisation. Anyone can apply to join, our meeting times and dates are published on the internet. The only secrets we have are our ways of identifying someone who's a real mason, and someone who's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

Please stop lying. There are many masons on this thread, and in fact many senior masons on this thread. Myself included. There is no devil worshipping, or goat raping. If you'd bother to read through the thread, you'd know that.

It's pretty insulting to have someone revive this thread every other month with "I know someone who knows someone and they're evil" or other nonsense. We're out there literally raising millions for charity and medical research, and having a good time while we're at it. People like you are confusing the Masons with the conspiracy theory of the illuminati. There's a conspiracy theory forum for such nonsense.

We're not a secret organisation. Anyone can apply to join, our meeting times and dates are published on the internet. The only secrets we have are our ways of identifying someone who's a real mason, and someone who's not.

A few questions?

why are Catholics forbidden to join?

Exactly what charities do they support?

I've looked at the website for the Irish Freemasons here
    http://www.irish-freemasons.org/

(not exactly a source of indepth info :rolleyes:)

There are thousands of Catholic members! Any man, over 21, who believes in a supreme being of any sort can join. Whether that's God, Jehovah, Vishnu, or the Roswell Aliens seeding life on Earth.

Hundreds across the globe. In Ireland? The Samaritans who last year received quite a sum of money from us. The Laura Lynn Hospice. Cochlear Impant medical research in Belfast which has helped deaf people around the world to hear. Money has been sent to Haiti, and is regularly sent to needy charities!

All of these questions have already been answered at length. Please read back through the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Any man, over 21, who believes in a supreme being of any sort can join.

Which supreme being do you believe in?

• Advertisement

If you're question is directed at me, that's my own personal business.

If you're question is directed at me, that's my own personal business.

That's just as well, at least nobody can pick holes in it then:D

DeVore wrote: »
    How do they prosper from the membership?

DeV.

If you're a card carrying member of a political party do you think you would be allowed to witness the exchange of brown envelopes.

A few questions?

I've looked at the website for the Irish Freemasons here
    http://www.irish-freemasons.org/

(not exactly a source of indepth info :rolleyes:)

Actually, the Catholic Church does not approve of Catholics being Freemasons, as Masonry is considered by the Church to be Deistic, and does not place the Christian belief above other beliefs. However Freemasonry accepts Catholics, and I know many Catholics in my own lodge.

As for charities, each lodge generally supports such external charities as its' members want; my own lodge has raised funds for Laura Lynn House, the Samaritans, Downs Syndrome Ireland, the Salvation Army, the Irish Cancer Society, and others as any member may propose.

Yes.. the website isn't very good. But we're working on it :)
    macshadow wrote: »
    If you're a card carrying member of a political party do you think you would be allowed to witness the exchange of brown envelopes.
    LOL! So.. the hundreds of thousands of members over hundreds of years have never figured out what's going on at the 'top', but the internet conspiracy theorists who've never set foot in a lodge room have figured it all out? Love it!

Oh... and if anyone is interested one of the brethren is running tours of the Masonic Hall in Molesworth St all through the summer, lunchtimes on weekdays. So if you fancy some 'investigation' of the secret society, it's all open to the public, just stroll in. You might even want to join after :D

Absolam wrote: »
    Actually, the Catholic Church does not approve of Catholics being Freemasons, as Masonry is considered by the Church to be Deistic, and does not place the Christian belief above other beliefs. However Freemasonry accepts Catholics, and I know many Catholics in my own lodge.

As for charities, each lodge generally supports such external charities as its' members want; my own lodge has raised funds for Laura Lynn House, the Samaritans, Downs Syndrome Ireland, the Salvation Army, the Irish Cancer Society, and others as any member may propose.

Yes.. the website isn't very good. But we're working on it :)

LOL! So.. the hundreds of thousands of members over hundreds of years have never figured out what's going on at the 'top', but the internet conspiracy theorists who've never set foot in a lodge room have figured it all out? Love it!

Oh... and if anyone is interested one of the brethren is running tours of the Masonic Hall in Molesworth St all through the summer, lunchtimes on weekdays. So if you fancy some 'investigation' of the secret society, it's all open to the public, just stroll in. You might even want to join after :D

Was King James a Freemason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I asked my Priest recently and the Catholic church looks down on it. He recommended the Order of saint something....

macshadow wrote: »
    Was King James a Freemason?

Presuming you're talking about King James VI & I, it seems unlikely; he died in 1625, the first Grand Lodge was formed in 1717. There were almost certainly working Lodges of sorts in Scotland in his lifetime, but the fraternity doesn't seem to have been all that interesting to the nobility until the mid to late 1700s when it became quite fashionable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement