Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was or is your favourite radio show?

124»

Comments

In Irish, Siúlach Scéalach (just look at that list of names of people interviewed over the past century) is almost consistently superb. In English, Documentary on One is almost consistently superb. Áine Hensey is a pleasure to listen to in Irish or in English (Sounds Traditional on RTÉ Radio 1).

On Lyric, there were so many fairly anonymous presenters who would open up worlds of music with as few words as possible. The music was first, rightly. Then they gave Marty Whelan a job in the morning and it turned to pop music, country and western and incessant talking. Personality over music. No thanks. That was a real loss on my morning commute until I downloaded baroque music, which I had been introduced to by Lyric, and audiobooks to my phone and started listening to them. Haven't look back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Right Hook

I listened to that show from it's very early days & for all Hook's bluster and occasional clumsiness, he had an essential decency about him that was drowned out by the mob hysteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Here is another contender for me: Stadium Rock on Phantom FM, presented on Saturdays by Richie Ryan (2006-2014).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Adam and joe show bbc 6 music was very funny , the show they had on xfm was good too.
    i think the funniest thing on irish radio is the slot on Mondays moncrieef show on newstalk at 2.35 pm. I,m an adult , people write in with trivial
    or unusual problems, eg my wife thinks i spend to much time with my friend who is a woman .
    dave fanning,s show on 2fm saturday 9pm is very good.
    https://2fm.rte.ie/2fm-shows/dave-fanning/
    it covers, music ,tv, cinema,
    and he is a great host, with a real interest and knowledge in music going back to the 70,s .

Again, there are quite a few radio shows I would listen to. My current favourite (as opposed to all-time favourite) may well be the A to Z of Great Tracks presented by Steve Conway on 8Radio.com. It is first broadcast on Wednesday evenings at 8pm and then repeated on Saturdays at 10am. It started on January 2014 and, sad to say, I missed a number of the entries, particularly when it was not on temporary licence and before I got a smart phone! But hurry, Steve is now on the letter W, so start listening before you have missed it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,797 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Off The Ball and Pet Sounds

Both shows were on when I had the office to myself in the evening and only had mind numbingly boring reports to do.

When it got busier in there and two more staff were added another colleague was on my wavelength but another didn’t even have the good manners to ‘suggest’ we’d give something else a listen, he’d bring in a small transistor radio and play it at his desk at the same time, a bit of a childish way to make a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Charlie Wolf on Red FM back in the day. He was deliciously un-PC which probably cost him his job there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Different strokes. In 2000 I worked in a place where the Strawberry Alarm Clock was on every morning. Prank calls and silly voices meant I conceived a loathing for FM 104 that lasts to this day. Dublin’ sH*t Music Station indeed.

I would have been 16 at the time and found that kind of thing funny I suppose :P

Another possible contender for my favourite show would be the evening one presented by Richie Ryan and Richie McCormack on Phantom FM (2013-2014). I did not always get to listen to it, but, when I did, it was a great mixture of music and related intelligent chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Does anyone remember in about 98/99 there was this totally out there mental show after Adrian Kennedy on FM104? I can't remember the name of the presenter but all kinds of absolute loons used to call up and it turned into this totally abstract off the wall show. I don't think it lasted too long but it was crazy.

Yeah some other guy came in and presented, it was nuts stuff, he had some regular callers that were just nutcases, it was basically the cuckoos nest of radio from 1-2/3 am.

jaysus it's on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkgI3kc2E6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HduuYkac0fk

• Advertisement
Advertisement