Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was or is your favourite radio show?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Yes! It was all a bit crazy, for some reason one of the regular callers has always stuck in my mind. Think he was called Trebor and he'd come on saying Hey diddle diddle Trebor has a riddle.
    And there was Tony the monkey child and loads of other weirdos. Used to be gas. I think the presenter was Greg merriman maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    And there was Tony the monkey child and loads of other weirdos. Used to be gas. I think the presenter was Greg merriman maybe?

Some weirdo who used to go on about balloons? God I was in college then, usually stoned in bed listening to this sh*t, and then we'd discuss in class the next day, those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Will Leahy's drivetime show on 2fm about 5 years ago. Always enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

patmac wrote: »
    Amazed ‘Marty in the morning ‘ on Lyric FM hasn’t been mentioned, a ray of positivity on the way to work.

Ive only been listening to him for a couple of months as I have long early morning drives. He is still in the guilty pleasure category though, so I didnt mention him. There are of course some cheesy numbers, but in a nice way, and then there are also some utterly beautiful pieces of music that do truly lighten the heart. He is also wry and amusing, self deprecating and comfortable in himself which really is cheering at that dark hour. Since I admitted to listening to him all sorts of groovy people are also admitting to this perverse early morning pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

storker wrote: »
    I don't know how Matt Cooper got a job in radio with that voice. When he's at his most indignant only dogs can hear him...

He used to sit in for Dunphy occasionally, when Dunphy jumped the shark, Matt was the obvious choice, Matt now has also jumped the shark, he spends too much time giving his opinion, change is long overdue there,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Kenny B wrote: »
    He used to sit in for Dunphy occasionally, when Dunphy jumped the shark, Matt was the obvious choice, Matt now has also jumped the shark, he spends too much time giving his opinion, change is long overdue there,

Happens to a lot of them - Moncrieff went from being entertaining and whimsical to just another self-righteous bore with his identikit opinions on everything.

Top class radio journalists like Patrick Kenny and Sean O’Rourke don’t do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Actually, while Dunphy was at the helm, he had two regular stand ins, one was Matt Cooper, the other was Fintan O'Toole.

I have a recollection, although it seems strange now thinking about it, that it was Eamon who chose his successor.

storker wrote: »
    I find Tom Dunne a bit like Dave Fanning (but with much shorter interview questions): tremendous enthusiasm for his subject combined with a lack of ego. Pity I'm usually not into the music they play.

Yeah, often thought that a conversation between Dave Fanning and Tom Dunne would make for an excellent show.

Actually, while Dunphy was at the helm, he had two regular stand ins, one was Matt Cooper, the other was Fintan O'Toole.

I have a recollection, although it seems strange now thinking about it, that it was Eamon who chose his successor.

Most people would rather have their teeth extracted with a rusty pliers than listen to O’Toole.

Most people would rather have their teeth extracted with a rusty pliers than listen to O’Toole.

He was equally popular as Cooper when he was on the show, iirc.
    And is certainly a more notable journalist at this point in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The Strawberry Alarmclock back when it was Hayes and Nugent in around 2000 was funny radio.

Off The Ball on Newstalk was brilliant and is still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He has wholeheartedly embraced WOKE culture

Insufferable wally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Frank Skinner on Saturday mornings on AbsoluteRadio is always a treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gynoid wrote: »
    John Kelly 7-9 pm on Lyric and John Creedon 8-10 pm RTE1. Love them shows.

These and Lilian Smith at whatever ungodly hour they put her on - usually mad early or mad late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

nullzero wrote: »
    Moncrieff used to be a great listen.
    Not the same since he ran off on the missus and got his producer pregnant.

Is this true?

A part of me liked the 98 and 104 phone in shows back when I was a college kid. I did a stint in the 24 hour SPAR on dame street and sometimes the phone show was all that got me through the night. Even with all the drunks and robbers and vigilantes we used to get - somehow the people at home on their sofa with a phone had a life worse than I did :)

Glad its not like that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Mo Cheoil Thu

Not my favourite but it was Dad’s. One of my earliest childhood memories is of my parents lying in bed every Sunday morning listening to Ciaran Mac Mathuna present this programme while my brother and I would create all sorts of mischief downstairs.

Moloney After Midnight

During my college days I used to listen to Moloney After Midnight on 2FM. The only thing I can remember about it is Mike used to chat to guest musicians and they always sounded half cut and the word “allegedly” featured very frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

'Nickel & Dime' radio show on wfmu.org.

Anybody who liked Dineens radio show or No Disco should check it out.

'Strength through Failure' is another good one on wfmu

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Nick Abbot's late night phone show on Virgin 1215 around 1993 was a revelation to me, like nothing I've ever heard before or since. He is still good on LBC but I will always remember the early stuff.

Also, Danny Baker's Radio 5 shows (Morning Edition, Sportscall and 606) around the same time were genius.

I know sometimes you look back at these thing with rose tinted glasses (earplugs?) but any recordings I hear from that era still sound great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Niall Boylan on Classic Hits 4FM and Dublin Talks 98FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

An Taobh Tuathail on Radio na Gaelteachta is good..(if in that kind of mood).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Poparama as a kid, mainly for Aunty Poppy's Storytime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Is it true that the Niall Boylan show is only for working class people? That's what one of my friends said.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

John Kelly followed by Donal Dineen back in the day, back to back excellence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Any of the shows on Phantom/TXFM

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

South Wind Blows with Philip King is fantastic.

I used to listen to it on a Sunday evening when I would usually be driving back to Dublin after a weekend. Since it changed to Saturday nights I'm more likely to listen to it on podcast.

The show introduced me to so many bands and albums (both contemporary and past) and the variety of music is amazing (you might have Bo Diddley followed by Damian Rice followed by Band of Horses...).

Philip King is a great presenter too and has a very relaxing tone and great music knowledge.

Love his trademark greetings and sign-off too: "A dhaoine uaisle, tá failte is fiche roimh isteach to dtí an clár" agus "Mind how you go - go dtí an chead uair eile, go dteigh sibh slán". Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Electric Disco
    Anton's Today FM show
    I liked Ray Foley on Today FM, the Gauntlet was amazing
    I even liked KC's show on Today FM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is it true that the Niall Boylan show is only for working class people? That's what one of my friends said.

No, it’s for those without any class. You know the type, they enjoy angrily listening to some bigot “telling it like it is”.

They’d be the same ones listening to Ciara Kelly’s show on Newstalk while scribbling their indignation furiously into a notepad.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Watching Mark Cagney on TV right now, brings me back to 80's radio - Night Train with Cagney was a great show as he played mostly non-single album tracks and 12 inch versions - think he started around 11.30 or so and brought you nicely to sleep around 1.45am when 2FM or whatever it was called back then, went off the air -if I remember rightly.

Ah Mark After Dark.
    I think it used to finish around 1.50am.

He was so mellow and as far as I know that was around he would go from the studio to the hospital to be with his wife.
    Oh and he was surviving on coke.

Gerry Ryan used to be on around 10pm.

Remember one night he got in trouble because he told people that it was time to get the tape recorders out as he was going to play complete 12" track.
    Dear Frankie, RTE in the 60s. Always good for a laugh. An Agony Aunt solving the romantic problems of the nation.

“It may not be your problem today, but it could be someday"

Ah yes Frankie who was shagging the national censor.

Good old Ireland.

• Advertisement

No, it’s for those without any class. You know the type, they enjoy angrily listening to some bigot “telling it like it is”.

They’d be the same ones listening to Ciara Kelly’s show on Newstalk while scribbling their indignation furiously into a notepad.

There’s a load of cranks and oddballs on this website who listen to radio shows they hate just so they can give out about them. Very strange behaviour, and a massive waste of time in my opinion. Happens with TV as well - people who hate the Late Late Show for example, yet watch it religiously.

Advertisement