Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was or is your favourite radio show?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Boring for many I’m sure, but James o’Brien On LBC is a gift for people like me. He can be grumpy, but does not suffer fools gladly either. A go to for me.

Irish radio is to be avoided end of. Far too sycophantic, and watching out for the so called opposition.

But we all have Listen Back don’t we? So can choose now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Tony Fenton ( on your radio) was good on everything

Rip

Tony Fenton can't die, only the actor playing Tony Fenton.

But yeah, he was grand, was well aware of how cheesy he was and a lovely bloke by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Car Talk with the click and clack brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Amazed ‘Marty in the morning ‘ on Lyric FM hasn’t been mentioned, a ray of positivity on the way to work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a minute. BBC Radio 4

Nicholas Parsons has been hosting it since 1967 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can I also add Tom Dunne.

Loved his show on Today FM and still enjoy it on Newstalk. His warmth for music and musicians is infectious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not so much a show but a few episodes of it.

BBC Radio 4. A book at bedtime. Usually its a cure for insomnia.

And then they did - The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The Chillage Idiots on xfm were great. Used to listen intently with my fingers hovering over the record button on my tape deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Tom Dunne’s Pet Sounds on Today fm was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭siblers

tastyt wrote: »
    I like moncrief and yates, not afraid to have an opinion.

I also like songs of praise on Sunday evenings, great driving músic. Not sure if its today FM or 2fm

That's Today FM, presented by the brilliant Ed Smyth. He's on Sun to Thursday now, always worth a listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Beat Goes On, on Today FM Saturday and Sunday night presented by Kelly-Anne Byrne, one of the very best shows out there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nick Abbot's satirical call-in show on LBC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Small hours with Donal Dineen on today fm from midnight to 2am, stopped maybe I dunno 10 years ago now, but always listened, great show, great tunes, great presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Was it that different to Callans Kicks?

I only vaguely remember it but my recollection of it leads me to think Callan's show is similar in tone?

The writing was much better.

The actual impressions were more "parish Hall" in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

tastyt wrote: »
    I like moncrief and yates, not afraid to have an opinion.

But they hate others having an opinion,

When I started my company, I used to work late every evening, it was made tolerable with Dunphy's Last Word, it was top notch back then with Navan Man & Drunken Politician, some of the stuff was Gold, followed by John Kelly's Eclectic Ballroom, he played some mad stuff, would tangent off and god knows where he found some of the tunes,

Years after that I found Off the Ball, the originals, Joe Molloy is shocking and the leinster **** fest got too much to handle, 'I love you Brian',

It went from being a show with international stories of sports of all types to D4 centric, before that it had proper interviews with unknowns about their passion, a real education at times.

The only show I listen to daily now is Ronan Collins, similar to Larry Gogan - from the Shut the F... Up and play music style, Larry used to play 13-15 songs during the Golden Hour, it's under 10 an hour now for most music DJ's,

RTE Gold was my saviour up to 2 years ago but is ruined now with DJ's, before that it was just music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

RockinRooster live MSNBC audio across the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

While not a show, I do enjoy listening in on NewsTalk during week days with all their discussions... weekends it's just rubbish on sports though.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Cant stand Newstalk, bad enough its so subtlety right wing. Along with Today FM, its owned by Denis O'Brien which makes thing worse.

Favourite radio show - John Kelly Mystery Train on Lyric FM. with marty whelan's morning Lyric FM show a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

moby2101 wrote: »
    Nonsense, the mg majority of people today listen to radio at some stage during the day

Ah stick to techno Moby

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

rapul wrote: »
    Small hours with Donal Dineen on today fm from midnight to 2am, stopped maybe I dunno 10 years ago now, but always listened, great show, great tunes, great presenter

DD was effortlessly cool, remember No Disco in the nineties?

• Advertisement

Cant stand Newstalk, bad enough its so subtlety right wing. Along with Today FM, its owned by Denis O'Brien which makes thing worse.

Favourite radio show - John Kelly Mystery Train on Lyric FM. with marty whelan's morning Lyric FM show a close second.

How the fcuk is newstalk " right wing"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

In no particular order.

Paul McLoone show - Today FM
    Sean Moncriffe - Newstalk
    Tom Dunne - Newstalk
    Tom Dunne - old Today FM show
    Matt Cooper - Today FM

kind of like Dermot & Dave in the mornings

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Loved his show on Today FM and still enjoy it on Newstalk. His warmth for music and musicians is infectious.

He's grand on a strictly music show, anything else and forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Anything on phantom, before it became 8 radio and gone to crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Chris Tarrant's breakfast show on Capital Radio in the late 80's/early 90's. The features that stick in my mind are Adventures of Dick Tarrant (private investigator), Your Embarrassing Tune featuring some truly atrocious punning on song titles, and the relaxed banter between Tarrant and Russ Kane in the Eye in the Sky (who was usually made to sound like he'd just staggered out of an all-night party and into the helicopter) and with Tarrant's sidekick Kara. Always cheery and a bit madcap but without the desperate hey-look-how-mad/witty-we-are rubbish you get from poor imitations these days. I can't listen to breakfast shows now. Give me wall to wall music or wall to wall news and just STFU about everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Weekend on One with the late, great Donal Broughan. Still sadly missed.

I find Tom Dunne a bit like Dave Fanning (but with much shorter interview questions): tremendous enthusiasm for his subject combined with a lack of ego. Pity I'm usually not into the music they play.

Alive Cooper's syndicated show isn't bad. Is it still on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

h3000 wrote: »
    In no particular order.

Paul McLoone show - Today FM
    Sean Moncriffe - Newstalk
    Tom Dunne - Newstalk
    Tom Dunne - old Today FM show
    Matt Cooper - Today FM

kind of like Dermot & Dave in the mornings
    Oh and Anton Savage when he was on Today FM

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Does anyone remember in about 98/99 there was this totally out there mental show after Adrian Kennedy on FM104? I can't remember the name of the presenter but all kinds of absolute loons used to call up and it turned into this totally abstract off the wall show. I don't think it lasted too long but it was crazy.

Yes! It was all a bit crazy, for some reason one of the regular callers has always stuck in my mind. Think he was called Trebor and he'd come on saying Hey diddle diddle Trebor has a riddle.

• Advertisement

h3000 wrote: »
    Matt Cooper - Today FM

I don't know how Matt Cooper got a job in radio with that voice. When he's at his most indignant only dogs can hear him...

Advertisement