Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was or is your favourite radio show?

Options
  • 29-10-2019 7:40pm

Watching Mark Cagney on TV right now, brings me back to 80's radio - Night Train with Cagney was a great show as he played mostly non-single album tracks and 12 inch versions - think he started around 11.30 or so and brought you nicely to sleep around 1.45am when 2FM or whatever it was called back then, went off the air -if I remember rightly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Watching Mark Cagney on TV right now, brings me back to 80's radio - Night Train with Cagney was a great show as he played mostly non-single album tracks and 12 inch versions - think he started around 11.30 or so and brought you nicely to sleep around 1.45am when 2FM or whatever it was called back then, went off the air -if I remember rightly.

I despise everything and everyone on Newstalk..except Moncrieff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭manbitesdog

I despise everything and everyone on Newstalk..except Moncrieff.

Moncrieff’s voice makes me want put my foot through the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

P.J Gallagher has the same effect on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,831 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The death notices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dear Frankie, RTE in the 60s. Always good for a laugh. An Agony Aunt solving the romantic problems of the nation.

“It may not be your problem today, but it could be someday"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

None they all talk too much. Shut up and play music.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Different shows at different times (some no longer with us unfortunately)

Pat Kenny - Newstalk
    Off the Ball - Newstalk
    Music from the Movies - Lyric FM
    Drama on One - RTE Radio 1
    Electric Disco - 2FM
    The Main Room with Dashka - Spin South West
    Sunday Supplement with Sam Smyth - Today FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Tommy Vance, Virgin 1215. Dad Rock on Today FM used to be good.

'Scrap Saturday' didn't pull any punches, compared to the softball political satire of today.

'Scrap Saturday' didn't pull any punches, compared to the softball political satire of today.

Was it that different to Callans Kicks?

I only vaguely remember it but my recollection of it leads me to think Callan's show is similar in tone?

• Advertisement

Donal Dineen was good. Alison Curtis I liked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Alison Curtis I liked too.

Do you dance around the kitchen with kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Moncrieff used to be a great listen.
    Not the same since he ran off on the missus and got his producer pregnant.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

None, their all crap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Chris Evans on the breakfast show on bbc radio 1 back in the mid 90's. It was brilliant. He would turn up drunk, have mad quizzes/slots and generally had a laugh every day.
    I remember he did a thing called ginger loans where people could write in asking for a loan. The only thing was the loan had to be for a pound or less!! People sent in some seriously mad requests.

Also Pete Tongs essential selection on a Friday night back then was special if you liked dance music. The essential mix also had some brilliant DJ's on it.

RMAOK wrote: »
    Do you dance around the kitchen with kids?

I’m afraid I don’t get that, it was The Last Splash on Sunday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Does anyone remember in about 98/99 there was this totally out there mental show after Adrian Kennedy on FM104? I can't remember the name of the presenter but all kinds of absolute loons used to call up and it turned into this totally abstract off the wall show. I don't think it lasted too long but it was crazy.

nullzero wrote: »

I never even knew! He cones across as very brittle and defensive.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Chris Evans on the breakfast show on bbc radio 1 back in the mid 90's. It was brilliant. He would turn up drunk, have mad quizzes/slots and generally had a laugh every day.
    I remember he did a thing called ginger loans where people could write in asking for a loan. The only thing was the loan had to be for a pound or less!! People sent in some seriously mad requests.

Also Pete Tongs essential selection on a Friday night back then was special if you liked dance music. The essential mix also had some brilliant DJ's on it.

Back around 2005, Radio 1 used to have a Sunday evening dance show (It might even have been hosted by Pete Tong) and people returning from clubbing around the UK would ring in and ask for tracks to be played. Used to love that when I lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

John Clarke when he was on 2fm.He used to be on from 11-1 on Friday nights and in later years Ireland's Favourite Jukebox on Sundays.Brilliant shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Greyfox wrote: »
    None, their all crap

They're.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jenny Houston on 2fm mid 2000s. Played class indie music, she introduced me to The National.

Cormac Battle's Battle Axewas brilliant too, had a great choice of alternative music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My favourite was the FM104 Phoneshow. Adrian was fantastic. His new morning show on 98FM is decent, but it's not the same.

Currently I love Ivan Yates on newstalk. Fantastic broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭antimatterx

nullzero wrote: »

Never knew that. My two brothers were in school with his daughters and all. Not sure how my mum never picked up on that gossip lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The Full Irish ie. when Ryan Tubridy did breakfast on 2fm was good circa 2001 - 2004.
    I used to like 'The House Party' on 2fm with Damien McCaul circa 2002 - 2003.
    Also before that maybe 96 / 97 there was The Hotline with Tony Fenton.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Both sadly gone...
    Sunday Morning Coming Down presented by Pearl on Phantom fm. Perfect mellow playlist.

Dalys 80s on RTE Gold.
    Took in the music, ads, news segments and tv of the era.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

siblers wrote: »
    Jenny Houston on 2fm mid 2000s. Played class indie music, she introduced me to The National.

Cormac Battle's Battle Axewas brilliant too, had a great choice of alternative music

BBC 6 music essentially plays nothing but alternative music, explicitly so from 19:00-midnight. That's when my 2 current (and for the last few years) are on, Marc Riley 19:00-21:00, Gideon Coe 21:00-00:00. I cannot recommend them enough and the BBC iPlayer radio is available here, not region blocked.

6Music also gave us possibly my favourite radio show ever, Adam And Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don’t listen to the radio consistently, but Jo Whiley on BBC Radio 2 has a great show in the evenings.

Scala is a new British radio station available online, DAB and sky and all that an dit’s absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steviewinger

Prisoner request show that used to be on club FM 106.4 on a Sunday night. This one is for jayo in the joy, up the c landing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Liveline... Genius comedy at times!

Advertisement