Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A young women's suicide

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You have no clue how bad the Irish prison system is.

You're completely right. Except for the small fact that I've worked there for the last 12 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Omackeral wrote: »
    You're completely right. Except for the small fact that I've worked there for the last 12 years.

Yeah but they met a prison officer once which clearly Trump's your experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Spare me the pr spin.

In reality many have mental health issues of their own and drink issues.

staff regularly consume drink during lunch breaks and return to duty

This was in limerick its relevant though i suppose.

https://www.herald.ie/news/jail-staff-are-drinking-stealing-and-130k-has-been-spent-buying-870-tvs-for-250-prisoners-35805491.html

The profession is in a terrible state.

I mean its understandable they are suffering mental health issues and have high rates of alcoholism. They have to deal with terrible people all day every day.

Well then you know.

Mod
    Do you have anything of substance to contribute? Any more of these types of posts and you'll get cards.
    Mod note civilly noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Good lord ..dead over a public order offense. Sad.

Not over a public order offence it is much more complex than just that.
    I would guess there is a history of mental illness there.
    You have to do a lot (particular women) to come to the attention of the law.
    It is like the Titanic, it didnt just happen there were many other signal given before this happened.

Well then you know.

I know the reality of life in prison more than you I'd wager.

You think all the staff hate their job. They don't. Some do. Same as office workers or engineers I suppose. I personally love my job and am so happy to do it. Drinking culture has always existed in the service. I won't deny that. What I will say is that there's a paradigm shift in the last few years and with new staff coming on board it's being eradicated.

Care and support is focused on a lot more than it was previously. Years ago you'd send in massive apes with a mattress to burst some fella who was acting up. Nowadays, it occurs to more staff that ''y'know what, I didn't see John getting his meds earlier, maybe that's why he's kicking off''.

We're not all animals in there. Neither are the prisoners to be frank with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Then the prison officers are VERY responsible.

And yes ..i have ...many people have...its not a big deal

You're all over the shop luv

fullstop wrote: »
    You’ve said a lot on here in fairness, you’ve nearly 7,000 posts in 6 months. With this account. Yet you expect people to remember all the guff you post?

I didn't expect you to remember ...i merely stated i had. I am sure you will tell me i am lying. Meh perhaps its hard to believe i dunno.

My cousin is in no way suited to that job. And he has mentioned the drinking on duty as a norm and morale is low. He sees the job almost as entertainment though.

I haven't seen him in a while ..if he is still doing it i doubt he will be for much longer.

Drinking culture has always existed in the service. I won't deny that.

Is it stress or simply that a culture?

• Advertisement

Not over a public order offence it is much more complex than just that.
    I would guess there is a history of mental illness there.
    You have to do a lot (particular women) to come to the attention of the law.
    It is like the Titanic, it didnt just happen there were many other signal given before this happened.
    That is the charge she was in custody over according to the article. Bail was set pretty low 100 euro.

Of course there is a history..the guards were aware she was vulnerable it says in the article. The question is did they inform the prison officers?

Is it stress or simply that a culture?

Probably both with alcoholism thrown in too. A widespread acceptance before I joined and it's dwindling more and more IMO. There are more lads and girls into fitness nowadays in my place. Running clubs, cycles, sports teams. The gym is huge too among the staff. I personally think anyone who drinks on duty needs to be sent off and/or get help.

We're supposed to be responsible for those in our custody. Our mission statement literally says that we should provide care and safe custody for prisoners. It's not always possible but definitely something to aspire to.

Brother's in the prison system at the moment and he has nothing bad to say about the staff. Same as my parents visiting him. They recognised his skills and but him in a position to teach people. They saw him doing well and being totally non-violent and moved him accordingly. The ones in the new place treat him with the similar respect I think he deserves and he's been given the opportunity to help other prisoners.

Anecdotal but thought I'd chip seeing some of the recent posts here. What a tough job. Fair play, omackeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Vibes, for someone with your sig and who claims to have this hippy dippy love everyone attitude, you do have a tendency to just blurt out incredible blanket statements with next to zero evidence. I've seen you say really bigoted things about Americans (there are 300 million of them like) and a complete dismissal of American law enforcement as monsters.

(Incidentally I was in America recently myself and got chatting to members of the local PD - soundest, friendliest lads ever).

Why don't you follow your own advice and be more understanding?

It's cheap - really cheap - to blame the guards for the death of this lady. It also simplifies a complex illness with an easy, throwaway answer.

There is a massive blame culture in this society though. Maybe others too, but it's extraordinary here.

That is the charge she was in custody over according to the article. Bail was set pretty low 100 euro.

Of course there is a history..the guards were aware she was vulnerable it says in the article. The question is did they inform the prison officers?

Having mental issues does not give you immunity from the law, else we would all be doing it. Not to sound callous but she had a responsibility to either converse with the system about the fine or pay it. I know someone who had an €80 fine for speeding lately. She was completely in the wrong. She got caught, fined and she paid it, end of.

This would have happened either sooner or later with this sort of person with mental illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,459 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I blame the Judge. You need to take other things into consideration, not just go by the letter of the law.
    No one should ever go to jail over tiny sums of money. Just arrange a way for her to pay.

Need more judges with compassion like Caprio

Raconteuse wrote: »

Why don't you follow your own advice and be more understanding?

Good advice.

I am pretty understanding all in all on here.

Its passion though. It perhaps is misplaced.

Some of the replies though....hmmph. :rolleyes:
    Having mental issues does not give you immunity from the law, else we would all be doing it. Not to sound callous but she had a responsibility to either converse with the system about the fine or pay it. I know someone who had an €80 fine for speeding lately. She was completely in the wrong. She got caught, fined and she paid it, end of.

This would have happened either sooner or later with this sort of person with mental illness.

I would like to know if she had conversed with the system I am sure she must have tried.

You dont sound callous.

I would like to know if she had conversed with the system I am sure she must have tried.

You dont sound callous.

No, if she agreed to pay €10 a week from her wages/social welfare it would have been fine. She must have made no effort to pay it and dodged it for some time. This is how it accumulated over time. Nothing peeves judges more that disrespecting the establishment of the court.

No, if she agreed to pay €10 a week from her wages/social welfare it would have been fine. She must have made no effort to pay it and dodged it for some time. This is how it accumulated over time. Nothing peeves judges more that disrespecting the establishment of the court.
    I don't think it was a fine it was bail. Would they not ask for bail all up front?

• Advertisement

I don't think it was a fine it was bail. Would they not ask for bail all up front?

Still you have to do a good bit (and because she was female) to attract attention of the Gardai. Most in the Dochas center are people with history (traveller women and junkies), She must have shown some contempt of court for this to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

She must have shown some contempt of court for this to happen.

She did, she took a bench warrant for not appearing on her original set date. A good way of drawing the ire of the judge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

They are responsible for her safety they are meant to be checking on her ...suicide prevention is a major part of being a guard..questions need to be asked ...

This is almost as stupid as the original post

batman_oh wrote: »
    OP you have made an a GREAT first post and thread. Don't listen to people trying to undermine you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

batman_oh wrote: »

What’s stupid preventative measures are paramount in that situation. What did she manage it with anyhow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP you have made an a GREAT first post and thread. Don't listen to people trying to undermine you.

I heard some prisoner officers have feathers and webbed feet , others breath through gills and are eight foot tall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What's great about it? Saying the guards should be able to predict the future is numerous things but not great.

Nor is simplifying mental illness into one incident.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What's great about it? Saying the guards should be able to predict the future is numerous things but not great.

Nor is simplifying mental illness into one incident.

They obviously didn't search her and her cell well enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

They obviously didn't search her and her cell well enough.

Why..how did she die..tell us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

RIP.

Sad thing is ..with everyone blaming her ..she is the one who suffered the most.

And her family ..her kids ..friends...etc.

I hope they are not reading this thread.

Too many people die in prison from suicide ..too many people die from suicide anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

We are closing this for a review of the posts to date. Please bear with us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement